• Crossmen
    • SCV
    • Crown

i am from back in the days....80's

Wayne Downey

Jack Meehan

Dave Carrico

Ray Atlas

Blue Devils all the way.....I am not one sided B)

GO BLUE!

Kimela

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't pick one but I can name a few. I've seen horn instructors for a lot of corps in the past few years. The ones I really liked were Cavies, Phantom Regiment, and Cadets new brass caption head for 2003. Wayne Downey has a great ear, but I'm not impressed by the actual "teaching" of the staff. Infact, I was most impressed with the teaching of Phantom and Cavies.

I disagree Erin, I think Wayne and co. are GREAT teachers. He has a way with young people, I think he is really great. I admire and respect him as a teacher. I voted BD, their staff is great.. and they have the brass trophies to prove it, if their staff wasn't doing great teaching, then how do they turn out one of the top brass lines every year? I know BD draws amazing talent, but to have one of the most consistant corps in DCI requires great teaching

Ben Harloff (bald original Blast cast trumpet/flugelhorn soloist) was a soprano tech with Carolina Crown in 1999.

Ray Linkous (original Blast cast tuba/conductor) was Carolina Crown Brass Caption Head in 1999.

Both were great instructors for my son (soprano) that summer and both left Carolina Crown to join the original cast of Blast in London after the 1999 DCI season. We saw them on stage twice while on vacation in London in March 2000 a week before the Blast video/DVD was taped.

• 2 years later...
Gino actually got his start marching Flordia Wave.  At least that's the story I think I remember hearing last summer... can't remember for sure b/c there were too many stories that were accompanied by too many fermented beverages.  And if I'm not mistaken I believe Tommy got his start in Wave, too.  I think I remember Dean Musson talking about all the brass staffers who got their start in Wave.

Sorry about the mix up with the drum major for Star in 93.  I didn't even know that Matt had a brother!  I guess my info on where Matt has taught is wrong then.  Im sorry, I just had a brain fart.

Michael Terry

Matt Harloff was indeed the 93' Star DM and had previously played soprano in the hornline. He is currently the brass caption head for Crown. He has brought his former mentor, Donnie VanDoren onto the Crown staff. Donnie was Star's Caption lead and remains with them as an associate producer for Blast. Star's former lead tech, Barry Hudson is also helping with Crown now.

Ben Harloff was also in Star's great lines as well as the Brass Theater years. He was the outstanding trumpet/flugel soloist with the original Blast cast. He is already an outstanding teacher and great guy. Having him and Gino on the same staff could be great.

Of course BD will be the odds on favorite as far as the Jim Ott this year. The continuity of having Wayne Downey at the helm as well as drawing the level of talent they do always put them in that spot. But the above guys know what it takes to win a Jim Ott or three. And they did it without the level of talent Mr.Downey enjoys. Lets see if what those programs sound like in a couple of years. Could be interesting. Anyone marching in either of these three programs are in for an outstanding brass education IMHO.

I'm going to say Phantom Regiment - they may not have as many brass trophies (lets face it, they're the brides-maid more often than anyone). I personally, with some bias, will say I much prefer their approach to sound over anyone elses. I'm going to risk stating a taboo opinion, but I'm not all about the inverted pyramid of sound that the Devils produce. Sure, they're great players, but I don't like what the staff does with them.

Of the choices presented few can compare with PR. The staff is full of professionals that are at the top of their fields, and have years upon years of experience.

Incidently, I don't think counting high brass trophies is anyway to decide which line is better. Finals week has traditionly been very unforgiving for the Regiment (save a few notable exceptions).

Wayne,Gino,andTommy are all doing a little work with the Brigadiers this year. Yes I know this is a junior corps argument.....however I can honestly say we have an incredible Brass Staff this year.

Does this have to be from the current?

I think back to the days when Madison had..

Scott Boerma

Van Matthews

Jon Schipper

Matt Gregg

Clay Wachholz

Steve Smith

WOW!! That was a staff! And ALL MADISON ALUMNI!!!!!