• Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • SCV
    • Crown

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the mix up with the drum major for Star in 93.  I didn't even know that Matt had a brother!  I guess my info on where Matt has taught is wrong then.  Im sorry, I just had a brain fart.

Michael Terry

Hey,that's an easy "brain fart" to make.They are bros and do have the same last name.No harm no foul.Both are very nice guys by the way. :)

Charles Chuchuta

Sorry about the mix up with the drum major for Star in 93.  I didn't even know that Matt had a brother!  I guess my info on where Matt has taught is wrong then.  Im sorry, I just had a brain fart.

Michael Terry

Besides that, you were 7 years old in 1993...  :P   You're allowed the occasional brain fart on history "before your time", grasshopper....

My vote goes to Bluecoats.

Great horn arranging - Doug Thrower

On top of that, you have Dave Mackinnon, Dave "Antman" McPhee, Trevor Yuile, Jeff Wolfe (in the winter), and there are probably some more I don't know about. Great staff. No option on the survey for them though...

Gino Cipriani -

marched BD 83-85

taught BD 89-99 (was caption head a few of those years)

taught Cadets 00-01

with Magic and Brigadiers (sp) right now

Gino actually got his start marching Flordia Wave.  At least that's the story I think I remember hearing last summer... can't remember for sure b/c there were too many stories that were accompanied by too many fermented beverages.  And if I'm not mistaken I believe Tommy got his start in Wave, too.  I think I remember Dean Musson talking about all the brass staffers who got their start in Wave.

After having gotten to know Ben Harloff at Blue Stars camps, I can tell you he marched:

Phantom Regiment Cadets: 88-89 (not 100% sure on the first year)

Star of Indiana: 90-93 (I think he was a mellophone all those years)

Star Brass Theatre: 94-99

Blast!: 00-01

Now he's doing teaching gigs.  He also tried out for the President's Own If I remember correctly.  I think the haircut alone qualifies him for a position there ;)

Also, just some friendly advice.  Since this is your first and last year marching, you'll want to put a lot of thought into where you choose to march.  Just because the staff looks good at first glance doesn't mean that a good marching experience is a foregone conclusion.  You might want to look at the corps history, traditions, musical and marching style, etc.  Talk to current and former members of different corps to get an idea of what things are like.

Some corps are all about pure performance, and doing whatever it takes to get it out of you (aka beatings).  Some are just about having fun regardless of placement.  Others have a family atmosphere, and many are a mix of everything.  Every corps is different, and the staff is just one part of the puzzle.  It all depends on what kind of experience you want to have.

Good luck wherever you end up! (:-D

On top of that, you have Dave Mackinnon, Dave "Antman" McPhee, Trevor Yuile, Jeff Wolfe (in the winter), and there are probably some more I don't know about. Great staff. No option on the survey for them though...

That's because they are all Canadian!!

Antman was my babysitter years ago! LOL

Antman was your BABYSITTER?????? I can't believe they let him near children. ;)

The Bluecoats' brass staff is definitely Canada's greatest contribution to global society. Though some would argue hockey and beer. Let's not forget milk in a bag as well.

Listen to Doug Thrower's 2000 arranging. That's pretty much all I need to say.  :)

Out of the options given, I'd vote for SCV, solely because of the man who decided to arrange Adagio for Strings and Prayers of Kierkegaard.

I agree with the bluecoats vote. Sad there's not a place on the ballot. Chads anyone? (8-]