Madison thoughts

Well, just got into work after picking up my Grande Skim No-Whip Mocha so I can make it through this day after a LONG tiring weekend in Madison. I didn't realize how tired I was until I was finally able to relax on my couch last night and proceeded to zonk out for two hours. I had to wake up to go to bed!

Here are my impressions of everything that went on this past weekend. Instead of looking at each corps each day individually (which would take up about half of this server's space) I'll try to blend everything together except where necessary. (DISCLAIMER: These views are MY views only and in NO WAY reflect the views of the organization to which I am affiliated to, as noted to the left and below!)

Drove about 90 MPH from Chicago after work on Thursday to see if I could catch as many corps as possible. After waiting for a friend (one of those friends that is ALWAYS late! We all have them) were we on The Road to Madison. After finally deciding the best way to pull into Camp Randall and whether or not to eat something "good" or the junk at the stadium (we chose the junk) we drove past the stadium twice trying to find decent free parking. (what can I say, we're cheap) Now for those of you who where not in Madison this weekend, "decent" parking is a relative term.

Quarterfinals:

After finally figuring out where to buy tickets we climbed the seemingly twenty ramps to the upper deck and settled into our seats just as SCV was marching off. Which was good timing because I have already seen SCV and was anxious to see The Cadets and BD; two corps I haven't seen yet. I was especially anxious to see The Cadets since they seemed to be the corps that would give the Cavaliers the most competition this weekend. This impression would change, as you will see later on.

Note on the finale on quarterfinals night, DCI can do better. In fact, all the finale's were too long. Sitting with us was a drum corps virgin. Her first impressions were that all the corps were great but these finale's have to be shortened. I agree. If it's long for us drum corps veterans, they are even longer for the new fans who just want to hear America and the standings. Thank god my bother called my on my cell phone (I had it on vibrate. HINT, HINT TO ALL THE OTHERS WHO DIDN'T!!!) to tell me that the Cavaliers must have really done well because of their score. I said, "what score?" The scores were posted on the internet before they were announced at Camp Randall. He told me the scores and we were outta there.

Semis

The next morning we got up early to play a round of golf. It was interesting to hear the echoes of a couple of drum corps practicing in a distance as we were on the 9th tee. After the three S's (Sh**, shave and shower) we were off to semis. For some dumb reason we again decided to eat the junk at the stadium but we did get a big Badger Jug out of the deal!! This night's finale was MUCH better because we got to see the Royal Aires. This was the second time I saw them this year and what a GREAT reminder of what drum corps was back in the "olden" days! Everyone LOVED it.... except maybe the three 14 year olds behind us who didn't seem to get it. My brother called again to ask if the Cavaliers score was a record. I again said, "What score??" After the show we bounced around a few bars near the stadium and then ended up going to DCI headquarters for their annual party. Every year I grudgingly go (because I am so tired) but every year I am happy that I went. What a drum corps junkie's dream!!!! All of the "who's who" of the activity was there. Every year it is great getting the "inside" scoop on the activity. It's a reminder that there is more to the activity then what we see on the field. For many people, it is their livelihood. After getting pushed out the banquet hall after closing, we stag.... er...... made it to our hotel room by 3:00am.

Finals

It was GREAT to sleep in a little bit on the BIG DAY! After finally getting some decent food we were on our way to Jordan's for the Cavalier Alumni Reunion party. We shared the bar with the Phantom Regiment Alumni Reunion Party. I was reminded of one the drawbacks of marching in an all-male drum corps. I must admit PR's party was a little livelier because of the lovely young ladies of the Phantom Regiment! But, I digress... or maybe not. Anyway, after a few "pops" we stag.... er... walked on over to Camp Randall. I was a little disappointed because we didn't make it in time for the start of the Santa Clara Alumni performance but I did get to see the Bottle Dance (Yes!!!!!!!!) and was able to hear Send in the Clowns (Yes!!!!!). This was one of the highlights of the night. I am a HUGE fan of SCV's, second only to the obvious.

Seattle Cascades - What a great addition to the top twelve. Loved the show. My heart said, "I wish The Scouts where in this spot" but my brain said Seattle deserved it! I met a couple of "Seattle Parents" in a convenience store before the show. What nice people. They were SO excited to be there not only because their kid was marching but because they loved the whole experience of Division I competition. I was reminded that I have been spoiled for many years. Great job Seattle and see ya's next year!

Magic of Orlando - Cool uni's. Man, we saw what I thought was the worst wipeout in drum corps history. A tenor got nailed and was sent for a major tumble. What was so cool was that he calmly got up, put his hat back on, placed the tenors back in his harness (by this time he was all by himself on the left side of the field) and marched to the other side of the field to get back into the show. Great to see the judge take time to check on him. Welcome back Magic!!!!

Spirit - Because I haven't seen them this year I was confused by their name. While waiting in line to get into the stadium a lovely young lady with a great southern accent explained the affiliation with Jackson State. Hey, I say what ever it takes to get funding, GO FOR IT! Man, I forgot how much I missed "Georgia on my Mind". Good show. My brain kept wanting to hear the great hornlines of the '70's but that's MY issue not Spirits! Hang in there Spirit!!!

Crossmen - They blew me away. Man! Their hornline was loud. They didn't seem that loud in the semis. Maybe they just laid it out there for finals and said, "What do we have to lose. Just let it go!" and they did. Loved the show especially the horn entrance from the back right of the stands. VERY COOL! Funny comment from my bother, "Man, the compitition just when up a notch, didn't it?" Yep it did. After the X-Men were done I had a flash back to the Superman show of the 70's and the capes. God I loved that show!!!!

Glassmen - Good clean show but I wish they could pick it up a bit in the excitement category. I can't seem to distinguish their shows through the past several years. Seems like the same old, same old. I find it interesting that the corps seems to know that they can be boring at times because they sell shirts that say it. Don't get me wrong; there is nothing wrong with their show except that they need to pick up a few pointers from the top 5 in the excitement elements. I am not a drum guy but I was surprised to see that they took 6th in drums. Like I said about they Cavaliers 4 years ago..... Please! You obviously have the talent, use it!

Bluuuuuuucoats - Good clean show. I found myself taping my toes getting into their music. Like The X-Men, good loud hornline that sometimes loses tone quality but you gotta love them. They've been around awhile now. Maybe they can change a few things to get them to the next level.

Top 5

Phantom - I saw Phantoms show three times this year and it just got better and better each time I saw it. I found myself humming their opener while I was on the train this morning on my way to work. LOVED the show. POWERFUL hornbook! I tried to figure out why PR didn't do better this year. I read some place on this forum that maybe their show was a little too difficult. Hmmmm.... I may agree with this a little but Phantom has ALWAYS played difficult shows. Maybe that's why they always seem to be stuck in the middle of the pack. I don't know. I'll have to ponder this a little bit longer. While Phantom was marching off the field my brother said again, "Well, the show was just taken up a few notch's again, heh?" Yep, it sure did!

Boston Crusaders - WOW, loved their show. Not sure if they should have made it to the top 5 let alone tie PR but I thought they tugged at our hearts with their patriotic show beautifully. LOVED the last flag formation. VERY tastefully done.

SCV - Like Phantom, I sat there trying to figure out why they didn't do better in scoring. Loved their show and it is no secret that I am a HUGE fan of the Vanguard's on and off the field. Then it came to me after I started comparing them to the Cavaliers. They didn't seem to use their high impact portions of their show to their advantage. Don't get me wrong, they had some great drill moves but they seemed to come during the wrong parts of their show. Am I wrong??? During finale they showed AGAIN! why they are the class of the activity. They were the only corps to salute the champions!

The Cadets - Ok, now, I fully admit I am not a big fan of what The Cadets have done on the field in the past. I was hoping that what I was hearing around the activity and on this forum was being blown out of proportion. Well, it wasn't. In fact my level of enthusiasm for the Cadets dropped a few more notches after what they did on finals night. (as discussed by others on this forum so I won't get into it) I truly feel that until The Cadets stop focusing on impressing the crowd and start "playing the game" while remaining entertaining they will not win. I REALLY HATE to be so negative about a drum corps because I know how hard these kids work. I've been there. I truly feel for them because they obviously want to win!! They OBVIOUSLY have the talent to win. I don't want to rant on so I'll end this by trying to say something positive because there ARE a lot of positives about the Cadets show; their horn line is phenomenal. I am not a drum guy but I can tell that they kick butt and deserve their top placing! When the corp marched as one unit they were VERY good. It's just to bad that they didn't do more marching and less gimmicks. They might have won. Also, in regard to being the first corps to march off the field during finale; let the kids enjoy their time on the field! Especially the age-outs.

Blue Devils - As a Cavalier fan I can say that after the Devils' Saturday night performance I was very nervous. THEY WERE HOT!!! When I first saw them Thursday night I felt that if anyone had a chance to catch the Cavaliers it was they. I said to myself "Oh, oh, the Cavaliers are in trouble, BD finally have a drill!" As usual they have an incredible horn line and their drums were very entertaining. (Loved the rotating drummers!!!!!) The guard, well, I only remember the long hair! I don't remember anything after that! WOW! I was maybe a little bit disappointed in Channel One Suite but hey, I still have the 1976 version embedded in my brain. That version will ALWAYS be my favorite song in the history of drum corps!

The Cavaliers - I admit it probably took until Thursday night for this show to grow on me. Maybe because I wanted to see how this obviously "different" show matched up to what other corps were doing. To quote another FMM of the Cavaliers "there is NOTHING wrong with this show" but it may leave you wanting a little bit more at the end. I feel that the hype may have been a little too much for them. When people say things like "Best show in the history of drum corps" that is a LOT to live up to. To some people maybe it is the Best Show Ever but I personally don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I think the horn line deserves more credit then what they get (by the fans) and until I saw their show up close two weeks ago, I didn't think their drill was too demanding either. But when you see them up close you can see that these guys BOOK across the field. I think that they just make it look easy. Were the scores bloated? Probably. Should BD have scored closer to Cavaliers, yes! Was this the best guard ever? Well, no. But, right or wrong there is no question that The Cavaliers are taking the activity in a different direction.

Just an overall comment about the top 5:

To me it is quite obvious what direction the judges want to see the activity going. The bloated scores of the Cavaliers are, to me, a signal to the other corps. The Cavaliers 'play the game" in regard to General Effect, Visual and how they bring all three sections together as one unit for 11 minutes. My friends friend who saw her first drum corps show Thursday night said it perfectly "After the Cavaliers are done performing you sit there and try to remember things about the guard, hornline and drums. You can't because they do things as a whole as opposed to three separate sections doing their own thing. It is truly a totally integrated show." Boy, if she can see it, then the managements of the other corps should too. There is no reason why other corps can't do this and still keep their identities. That's what makes this activity great, the individual styles can stay in tack but the basis of where the activity is going will ALWAYS change. Not everyone likes it when these cycles happen but they happen. Like what The Devils did in the 80's, the Cadets in the 80's and 90's, and now The Cavaliers, the all the corps will have to adapt to what is happening. Those who don't will be left in dust.

Great review, thank you!

Nice review. By the way, Spirit's from Jacksonville State, not Jackson State.

-Jack

Nice review. By the way, Spirit's from Jacksonville State, not Jackson State.

-Jack

OOps. Sorry. I still liked them though!