Bridgemen 1977

My husband and I got the 1977 DVD because the Bridgemen, would've been 4th had they not been disqualified. Also because that was the year he fell in love with 27th Lancers with the "Rocky" show. I have to admit I love it too, but It was the first time I saw either show! Man, that whole show of Bridgemen rocks. But I love their version of "Land of Make Believe". So I guess this was more the version that "Blast" adopted uh?

I wouldn't want to be a judge in either of those shows! 27 or Bridgemen.

I was wondering if any alumni can tell me, was that the last year they used the rotary silver horns? I know that Bridgemen did appeal the ruling, but what was the final finding by DCI?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but its my first time witnessing such greatness! :bleah:  :rolleyes: 

I loved their color guard! :bleah:  :bleah:

to answer your question, Thecorps purchased the new 2 valve brass horns for the 1978 seson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Bridgemen did appeal the ruling, but what was the final finding by DCI?

This page explains what happened and the eventual outcome. As the article notes:

That 4th place finish the corps left with was tentative, it would be taken away as part of a consent judgement signed between the corps leadership and DCI a few months later. It was stipulated as part of that agreement that the other corps would not move up in placement, but that 4th place would be eliminated.  The corps didn't really understand all of that.  What the corps did understand was that there was a missing spot between 3rd and 5th place on the DCI record albums.  As far as DCI history was concerned, the Bridgemen had been erased from the 1977 Championships.

Thanks for that link Sue! I read it with great intrigue!

This page explains what happened and the eventual outcome. As the article notes:

My only problem is, the writer apparently has a "hard on" (sorry) for the Regiment and continued to make our corps out to be the "bad guys" without accepting any responsibility. It's too easy to point fingers, but give us the source. Hey, if it was the Regiment, fine. Does that mean because it was the Regiment, the Bridgeman are absolved from any accountability? The writer spends far too much of his time berating the Regiment than he does acknowledging their own culpability.

Please provide all verifiable sources for these accusation or, change the wording of your, obviously, bias commentary.

Rocketman - tired of their BS!

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

Why not email them and ask them to do that?

I can understand your frustration about it, but just email them. I'm sure they'll redo their thesis, if there are facts that are incorrect.

Why not email them and ask them to do that?

I can understand your frustration about it, but just email them. I'm sure they'll redo their thesis, if there are facts that are incorrect.

Lancerlady:

On their alumni web site, they also continue down this same path, and I did e-mail them asking them to either change it, or supply verifiable sources. I have heard nothing back from them. I don't know the correct facts, and they haven't offered anything more than accusations. From what I read in another post, allegedly, there was an East Coast corps that had ratted them out. So, again, even if all this were true, how about a little, "ya know, we were wrong. We should have known better or got clarification. There is no one to blame but OURSELVES!"

Rocketman - for the record

ampssuck

I really don't want to even get into this discussion over something that happened almost 30 years ago. Many people were hurt over this issue, both inside and outside my organization. But, as the Secretary of The Bridgemen Organization Inc. I felt I needed to at least clarify just a few things.

before I even start I want to make it clear, I was not there.

with that said...

first, If you had communications with anyone representing the Bridgemen it certainly wasn't with me. And, as Secretary, I would be the person you needed to make contact with.

Second, there is no "path" that we lead down on our site (which BTW is THE ONLY official site of the organization). Our site spends very little time addressing the issue. However, If you do not like the way our site depicts the events of 1977 I'm sorry. I know the person who wrote that portion of our history and he is without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable Bridgemen historians there is. If he says it happened that way, than our organization will stand behind his depiction. We will be leaving our history section as is.

As for me, I will not give you my opinion on what happened because it is...well, like yours.. an opinion, and I am not in a capcity to give one.

[This page explains what happened and the eventual outcome. As the article notes:

That was a powerfull artical that really hit the spot, I was (and still am) a huge Bridgman fan, being a snare drummer, I had the utmost respect for what Dennis D. did for that line. I have to say that I miss the Bridgmen, they would still be in the top 12 today.

Ah, I see I should've linked this alumni page instead. Sorry, I was using an old link. Different article, but similar outline of the events. This is no commentary on either article, other than obviously they provide a very detailed overview from people who was there and experienced the direct impact of what happened. Everyone may not agree with the synopsis or points of view expressed, but I am glad that they have been set down for others to read, because I think that's as close to the facts as most of us are going to get.

Edited by byline