Funny Stories

On the guys bus we had a rigged up funnel attached to surgical tubing that was piped out of the door of the bus next to the driver. There was a shower curtain between the driver and the steps/bathroom "urinal". (Bathrooms had been removed from the busses for extra seating space.) It was funny every time a rookie would finally go to use the facility as the driver would, regardless of lane or traffic, open the door after ensuring that the needed relief was in progress.

And yes, I was a rookie once.

Edited by Bleu Raeder

I used to hate marching on baseball fields. We did a show in Atlanta in 1977, and the pitcher's mound was between the 10 and 20 yard line (near the old "starting" line). I had to march right over the top of the mound. I lost my balance at the top of the mound (it was fairly muddy) and slid on my heel all the way to the bottom of the mound. I waited 4 counts for the rest of my "squad" to catch up and went right along marching.

Also in 1977, we knelt on one knee at one point early in the show. The turf was wet in Whitewater, and my pant's knee came glued to my real knee. First mark time - RRRRRRIIIIIIIPPPPPPPP!!!! My uniform pant ripped from the knee to the crotch! I actually wore a kilt for retreat, and carried a cowbell !! (George B. wanted to be angry when he saw me, thinking I was up to my usual hi-jinks, but he just hung his head and shook it slowly - with a hint of a smile!!)

It was around 1978 or 79. We (The Saginaires) had a very late bus trip to Canton for the Bluecoats show. I had a knack for being able to sleep on the bus. I woke up in the wee hours and realized we were at our destination and the rest of the corps had already went in to the facility. Half asleep I grabbed up my bedding and went in and crashed again. When I woke in the morning I looked around and didn't recognize the people around me. I had wandered in and crashed out with the 27th Lancers. I never heard the end of that one from the Sags. It is still talked about now and then at our reunions.

I think it was December of 1981..... we (Sunrisers) were doing the halftime exhibition at a NY Jets football game, when the Jets still played at Shea Stadium.

It was FREEZING cold that day. And windy.

We had enough people show up for the gig to do at least some semblance of our 1981 field show, complete with drill. So after the opening tune, it came time for me to step out and go up front for the French horn part in our Frenchie-mellophone duet in "Late in the Evening."

One problem.... my horn's valves froze.... completely. I hustled over and borrowed a French horn from another player in our section.

His horn's valves froze, too.

So I headed up front, next to the mellophone player..... and did my best to sing my part in the duet, complete with as many lyrics from the song as I could remember!

I figured, what the heck..... the football crowd wasn't paying much attention to us, anyway!!!!!

Fran

Here's a more recent story that will tickle your funny bone !!

August of 2004 Denver Colorado:

I arrived in Denver at 3:00pm on the Monday before finals and went right to my hotel room. I walked around for a bit and had some supper and watched TV. AT 1:30 am the guy in the room next to me had a shower, I thought that was rather inconsiderate but thought nothing of it. The next morning I turned the TV on and the local TV station and the announcer said that there was an escaped convict on the loose in Denver and the police are looking for him. As the week went on, this guys story was mentioned time after time.

On Friday morning, I was watching TV when I heard what sounded like A LOT of fire trucks racing up and down the street in front of my hotel. When I went out to breakfast, I heard something that really scared the hell out of me: "Stop where you are, you are surrounded come out with your hands up !!" I look around and see no one. I look UP and see four helicopters circling what I thought was my hotel. So I look around again and everyone around me was looking at ME!!! I hoped I was

dreaming. Then I heard a voice say "Get on your knees, NOW !!!" By this time I am starting to get REALLY concerned that they meant me. Then I looked and saw a police car come tearing out of the development across the street.

That night on the TV, I heard that the police had arrested the guy that had escaped that morning and that he was staying in my hotel. Was this guy the moron that was staying in the room next to me ? I never did find out. I won't be going to Denver for a while. :ph34r::doh::doh::ph34r:

I have the newspaper article on this guys arrest !!

Edited by ODBC

Here's a more recent story that will tickle your funny bone !!

August of 2004 Denver Colorado:

I arrived in Denver at 3:00pm on the Monday before finals and went right to my hotel room. I walked around for a bit and had some supper and watched TV. AT 1:30 am the guy in the room next to me had a shower, I thought that was rather inconsiderate but thought nothing of it. The next morning I turned the TV on and the local TV station and the announcer said that there was an escaped convict on the loose in Denver and the police are looking for him. As the week went on, this guys story was mentioned time after time.

On Friday morning, I was watching TV when I heard what sounded like A LOT of fire trucks racing up and down the street in front of my hotel. When I went out to breakfast, I heard something that really scared the hell out of me: "Stop where you are, you are surrounded come out with your hands up !!" I look around and see no one. I look UP and see four helicopters circling what I thought was my hotel. So I look around again and everyone around me was looking at ME!!! I hoped I was

dreaming. Then I heard a voice say "Get on your knees, NOW !!!" By this time I am starting to get REALLY concerned that they meant me. Then I looked and saw a police car come tearing out of the development across the street.

That night on the TV, I heard that the police had arrested the guy that had escaped that morning and that he was staying in my hotel. Was this guy the moron that was staying in the room next to me ? I never did find out. I won't be going to Denver for a while. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

woah...