Quick Fingers!

Trumpetboy

See, the "a few clicks on the met each day" approach is the obvious answer, but I always hit a breaking point. Say, I can play it at 150, but at 152 I break down entirely. Anyone else ever have this experience or know any ways to overcome it?

Try adding one note at a time at the new tempo. For example, if you have four sets of sixteenths, play to the point where it breaks down. Then, add the next sixteenth at the new tempo. Once you get that down, add the next, then the next, etc. Over time, you train your hand/brain to get it together.

Sidenote: The importance of playing with a proper hand position cannot be overstated. In addition to allowing the fingers to move more fluidly (and in time), it also saves wear on the valves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go out and buy a copy of the Clarke technical studies for cornet and practice them everyday. 

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Someone finally mentions Clarke!!

As far as finding that breaking point: everyone has one. Patience with what people have been saying about slowing things down is the key. Have patience!

practicing runs-

play the notes differently. break them into triplets if they are sixteenths, mess with the articulations (slur two toungue two, etc.), swing the notes, reverse swing them.

take this at different tempos

then do it all with your left hand. this helps your mind get around it, because you have to think harder to focus and get everything right. trust me it really helps.

• 2 weeks later...

One alternitive technique is to start in the center of the run, say with four notes. Play that until you can play those four notes perfectelly at tempo, then add a note or two to each side of the run. Start at a slow tempo, and then build speed. Continue the process until you can play the entire run at tempo.

• 2 weeks later...
A suggestion one of my trumpet teachers gave me when I was in high school was to take the runs BACKWARDS a few times.  For some reason, playing it backwards helps your comfort level when playing it normal.

Yep...and change the rythm...somehow this works,

I dunno how but it worked for the leads during 04 for Fever.

And for the Blast Brass Line.

Swing it... B)

Do the march style with dotted 8th then 16th following...

Slur it...

Articulate it...

Heck...play it with your horn upside down...hehe :P

practicing runs-

play the notes differently. break them into triplets if they are sixteenths, mess with the articulations (slur two toungue two, etc.), swing the notes, reverse swing them.

take this at different tempos

then do it all with your left hand. this helps your mind get around it, because you have to think harder to focus and get everything right. trust me it really helps.

Yep! You got to it b4 me! HAHA :whistle: b**bs

• 2 weeks later...
Go out and buy a copy of the Clarke technical studies for cornet and practice them everyday. 

I never knew exactly what Clarke studies were for when I got my hands on them. But they did help me immensly in getting an eveness of tone between the different partials, and helped my high range a bit too. I suppose they could be used for finger technique as well, I just never did that.

• 2 weeks later...