DVD Legacy Collection

After all these years, I finally purchased the recordings of DCI for the years that I marched. Unfortunately, for 1974, the BDs are not even there. DCI finals are not there. A few prelim shows and others from earlier shows.

I managed to pick myself out of a couple of sections of the '75 show, and even found myself laughing. I was the tallest member of the hornline, possibly the entire corps. Lisa Berkey-South was the shortest in the hornline. Year after year, Lisa and I found ourselves side by side, in company fronts or some other set that required us to march elbow to elbow. Poor Lisa. I was laughing because the obvious shots of me, were those with me standing elbow to elbow with Lisa. What memories.

The shocking surprise was the '77 show. I don't think I have ever seen this show before. The very last note of the show, a camera takes a head and shoulders (plus half a horn) close up of a baritone player with glasses gasping for a last breath to end the show. When the shot comes into focus, I realize it is me. What a pleasant surprise. Anybody who has this should take a look, not for me, but just for the trip down memory lane. It was worth it.

I also looked at some of the other corps. SCV and Madison were must sees for me, but I also wanted to see 27th and Danny Boy. I always liked the rifle line piercing through the corps at the closing. Good stuff. I watched '75 first, and it was great. I was surprised my memory had failed me for the '76 show, where the rifles did the spin while laying on their backs. I had forgotten you ladies wore pants that year. Was this just because of this spin? I did not think the pants looked as good, but there had to be a reason.

I also got to see the Kilties, Troopers, Blue Stars in hot pants, and Kingsmen. Seeing the uniforms of the Belleville Black Nights, Bleu Raeders, and others. What a gem. I guess I need to invest in all the remaining legacy years.

Edited by BD2Rings

Well then I guess I saw you! My husband and I bought a bunch of DVD's also and 77 and 78 were part of that collection. He marched in 78 with 27, he's the skinny contra player at the end, of "Can, Can", when they sit down on the ground...we got 77 because we love that dang Rocky show, that 27 did. My husband says that's when he fell in love with 27. Anyway, I love BD 77 and 78!

Now that I know who to look for, I'm gonna take a look at again. Say, did you get 1978? The added Bridgemen was a bonus History lesson for me! :grouphug:

Edited by Lancerlady

Well then I guess I saw you! My husband and I bought a bunch of DVD's also and 77 and 78 were part of that collection. He marched in 78 with 27, he's the skinny contra player at the end, of "Can, Can", when they sit down on the ground...we got 77 because we love that dang Rocky show, that 27 did. My husband says that's when he fell in love with 27. Anyway, I love BD 77 and 78!

Now that I know who to look for, I'm gonna take a look at again. Say, did you get 1978? The added Bridgemen was a bonus History lesson for me!  :grouphug:

Lancerlady, 1977 should be the year of the added bonus of the Bridgemen.......because that was the year they were DQ. B)

Oh yeah! You're right..got my years mixed up! Thanks! :grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...
After all these years, I finally purchased the recordings of DCI for the years that I marched. Unfortunately, for 1974, the BDs are not even there. DCI finals are not there. A few prelim shows and others from earlier shows.

I managed to pick myself out of a couple of sections of the '75 show, and even found myself laughing. I was the tallest member of the hornline, possibly the entire corps. Lisa Berkey-South was the shortest in the hornline. Year after year, Lisa and I found ourselves side by side, in company fronts or some other set that required us to march elbow to elbow. Poor Lisa. I was laughing because the obvious shots of me, were those with me standing elbow to elbow with Lisa. What memories.

The shocking surprise was the '77 show. I don't think I have ever seen this show before. The very last note of the show, a camera takes a head and shoulders (plus half a horn) close up of a baritone player with glasses gasping for a last breath to end the show. When the shot comes into focus, I realize it is me. What a pleasant surprise. Anybody who has this should take a look, not for me, but just for the trip down memory lane. It was worth it.

I also looked at some of the other corps.  SCV and Madison were must sees for me, but I also wanted to see 27th and Danny Boy.  I always liked the rifle line piercing through the corps at the closing.  Good stuff.  I watched '75 first, and it was great.  I was surprised my memory had failed me for the '76 show, where the rifles did the spin while laying on their backs.  I had forgotten you ladies wore pants that year.  Was this just because of this spin?  I did not think the pants looked as good, but there had to be a reason.

I also got to see the Kilties, Troopers, Blue Stars in hot pants, and Kingsmen.  Seeing the uniforms of the Belleville Black Nights, Bleu Raeders, and others.  What a gem.  I guess I need to invest in all the remaining legacy years.

I suggest just one listening of us, The Cavaliers. I say "listening" because our drill was krap, our guard was krap, our drumline was krap BUT, our hornline as actually very good, thanks to Jim Elvord. In fact we tied for first in execution.

I suggest just one listening of us, The Cavaliers. I say "listening" because our drill was krap, our guard was krap, our drumline was krap BUT, our hornline as actually very good, thanks to Jim Elvord. In fact we tied for first in execution.

I have to agree with you on the guard, drums, and drill. But the hornline was off the hook though. It's amazing what a huge turnaround happen when I joined the Cavaliers. Great guard, but mediocre drill, drums and horns. Such a turn of events! Well in 82 things got much better though.

Edited by deftguy

I have to agree with you on the guard, drums, and drill.  But the hornline was off the hook though. It's amazing what a huge turnaround happen when I joined the Cavaliers.  Great guard, but mediocre drill, drums and horns. Such a turn of events!  Well in 82 things got much better though.

Well, as you know, 79 was MUCH better then 78. Who is this BTW?

Well in 82 things got much better though.

Oh, I dunno. The Hanson Park performance alone set the public perception of the corps back by a few years.... :P (Great drumline in '82, and with "Pines", at least, there was a glimmer of what was to come....)

Mitch, I have the album with the 78 prelims performance, if you REALLY wanna get funky....

Oh, I dunno. The Hanson Park performance alone set the public perception of the corps back by a few years.... :P (Great drumline in '82, and with "Pines", at least,  there was a glimmer of what was to come....)

Mitch, I have the album with the 78 prelims performance, if you REALLY wanna get funky....

Got it. Unfortunetly. It should be destroyed forever!! Man, we stunk!