Baritone/Euphonium Mouthpieces

GCityVet

In the years that I have marched baritone, I have used a Denis Wick 4AL mouthpiece, which had the shank of a 3G, when playing on the Yamaha horns and when I played on the small bore Dynastys with the Glassmen, they made us play on a Bach Megatone5GS(some of us cheated and used Schilke 52DD's for a while, I personally liked the Megatone 6 1/2AL).

I'd like to know what works best for you baritone players out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a baritone player by profession but have played it from time to time and also have done a bit of teaching on it for a while as well. I have found that for a hornline, the standard Bach 6 1/2 AL or Schilke 51D has had the most success. Personally, I don't like the feel of the rim or the sound that is produced on those mouthpieces. I have recently purchased some other mouthpieces to try on the baritone I am play testing from the Blue Stars and have been pleased with the results.

I have used the following for the Baritone bugle and liked the sound:

Bach 4 (baritone shank)

Bach 3 (baritone shank)

Denis Wick "Steve Mead" 4 (baritone shank)

and a Bach 5 GS.

The Bach mouthpieces all got a good rounded sound with a little brilliance at the louder dynamics. The Wick maintained its rich sound across the dynamic range as well as its intonation from top to bottom. I noticed that the bari line from the Cavaliers were playing on a "Steve Mead" model mouthpiece but not sure of the size. The 4 is the largest one that is made in the baritone shank.

My suggestion would be the Wick "Steve Mead" 4 in a bari shank, or a Steve Mead in a large shank for Euphoniums.

Just an opinion.

• 1 month later...

As a Trombone player, I play on a Bach 5GS since I have a small shank instrument (ARGGG!) But I started off the summer playing on my Bach 3G. It sounded great until I got my Yamaha 48 like the rest of the line was playing on. Everyone sounded great and then the 3rds and some 2nds got put on a Yamaha 51 and holy crap, it was definitly a change in dynamics immediatly. Tone was still the same. I remember rehearsing in Pennsville, NJ and playing on my 48, and then being given my 51 the entire section got much louder instantaneously during rehearsal.

• 2 weeks later...

uggghh.....I can't believe there are corps out there that let baritones play on 6 1/2 ALs......just because it comes with the horn doesn't mean its a good mouthpiece. Personally, I think they're much too shallow and the cup is much too small to produce a good sound, but I come from corps trying for the dark bari sound, I don't know how they do it in jazz corps. I would never play on anything smaller than a Bach 5G. I prefer even larger mouthpieces, but they're harder to use on the field.