Indoor tuning/dampening

L1STEN2311

My school wants to start an indoor line but we only have outdoor drums. One method i've heard, is stretching a t shirt over the rim before you put the head on to take away the ring of the drums. We don't have the cash to buy indoor mallets/sticks so money is a factor! any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-chris

My school wants to start an indoor line but we only have outdoor drums.  One method i've heard, is stretching a t shirt over the rim before you put the head on to take away the ring of the drums.  We don't have the cash to buy indoor mallets/sticks so money is a factor!  any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-chris

Something we did for 1 year in college for the bass drums was to stretch 100% cotton sheets underneath the bass drum heads. They have to be 100% cotton and pulled tight against the head or it will sound like a rubber bouncy ball when you hit the drum.

At freelancers, we painted the inside of the heads white, to create another layer, to muffle the drum more, we also filled the drums with paper towels, if you watch the WGI 2004 finals DVD, you can see the paper inside of there....but it sounds real nice in my opinion.

Instead of using indoor mallets cause they suck anyways, we used, outdoor 1's on the top two basses, outdoor 2's on basses 3 and 4, and outdoor 3's on bottom.

Our bass sizes were 16", 18", 20", 24", and 28"...

Our top two basses did not have full muffling, only about a 3 inch strip every 2 inches or so.

For the snares, you can muffle them the same way you would muffle basses, except not all the around the drum, you would put smaller strips inside the drum........

Tenors will always be loud, I would just use a lighter stick to put out less sound...you can try and muffle them. But they will sound more like bongo's than tenors.

PM me for more info.

Edited by bluedevilbass1