Mallet Grip

SpiritKid

which is ur favorite mallet grip for marimba?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. which is ur favorite mallet grip for marimba?

• Stevens
    • Traditional Grip (Claw, "C" Grip)
    • Burton
    • Other

Check out Gifford Howarth's Book : Simply Four. He has a few pics on there. Also, I wouldnt waste anytime trying to learn Stout's grip. It's been stated earlier in the discussion that it was just a miss-guided Musser grip that he developed cause his hands were too small when he began learning marimba. You won't get any "cool points" for learning it.

Also, Eggbert I'd have to slightly disagree with you on the whole Steven's idea. I do agree physically due to positioning of the hands that ideally you can/should be able to produce more sound due to gravity and muscles used...but however If you're doing Steven's correctly you should be able to get the sound desired , as well. Problem is that more work is involved with Steven's than most cross grips. Most Steven's users are concerned with technique while cross grips players usually focus on sound and performance. Check out Micheal Burritt and Nebojsa Zivkovic for examples of powerful Steven's performers.

Edited by los

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting to know so badly? Are you planning on auditioning somewhere and need some insight as to what the corps use, or are you just simply curious?

Edited by Carl306

Stevens for marimba. This is the most practical and most used grip in the drum corps world.

Though i do like burtons for vibes.

Musser is basically stevens grip with the back of the hand facing up (as if you were playing 2 mallets) in a nutshell. Corps don't really sue this grip mainly because it looks like Steven's grip with bad technique.