Mallet Grip

SpiritKid

which is ur favorite mallet grip for marimba?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. which is ur favorite mallet grip for marimba?

• Stevens
    • Traditional Grip (Claw, "C" Grip)
    • Burton
    • Other

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a huge fan of Steven's grip. Its always felt very natural in my hands. However, I use Burton's on vibes, since its better for dampening purpoes and stuff like that.

You also don't generally need the mallet independance on vibe parts that you need in marimba parts.

and if anyone has any links to information of the following grips PLEASE please post them  :worthy:

LHS

Stout

Miceli

As far as Stevens technique goes, do yourself a favor and buy Methods of Movement. Even if you never play with his technique, Stevens has some very valuable ideas which can be applied to a plethora of areas in percussion playing.

From talking with Stout, he said that his grip is essentially what happens when you learn traditional grip wrong. He has pretty much said that he won't teach his grip or write anything on it because he knows that there are superior grips out there. He keeps using it because it happens to work for everything that he wants to do, but reccomends trying all sorts of styles.

Havn't heard of Miceli...

Really, your best bet in learning any new technique is studying with someone who has learned it already. I had the great fortune a few years ago to study with Leigh Stevens and She-e Wu and strongly reccomend doing that if you're at all insterested in learning Steven's technique.

hope that helps