The Movie "Ray"

Went to see this movie a couple weeks ago. After reading that Rochester was coming back next year and thinking of their 81 show, it made me think of the music from the movie Ray.

First off, the movie was great. Jamie Foxx was excellent.......I would say on par with Val Kilmer in The Doors. There were only two parts of the movie that were weak in my opinion.

1) When Ray Charles gets off the tour bus in Augusta, GA. Somehow, Jamie Foxx goes from not wanting to make a stand against segregation to walking out on a date scheduled for a segregated dancehall in the time it takes him to walk from the tour bus to the entrance of the venue. Kind of tacky and insulting to such a major statement that lead to him being barred for life from the State of Georgia. Years later that disbarring was overturned and "Georgia" became the State Song.

2) "Hit the Road Jack" was apparently conceived in about 15 seconds during a fight with his background singer/mistress. It was quite cheesy.

Having said that, I walked out of the theater with a big smile on my face, but a lump in my stomach. I totally missed the bus on Ray Charles. The music that was played during the movie that wasn't mainstream Ray Charles was absolutely awesome. I ran right out and bought several of his CD's. I left the theater totally regretful that I never took time out of my life to listen to him before now. Too bad its too late.

I can't help but think that somebody couldn't do wonders with some of this truly amazing and soulful music.

1)  When Ray Charles gets off the tour bus in Augusta, GA.  Somehow, Jamie Foxx goes from not wanting to make a stand against segregation to walking out on a date scheduled for a segregated dancehall in the time it takes him to walk from the tour bus to the entrance of the venue.  Kind of tacky and insulting to such a major statement that lead to him being barred for life from the State of Georgia.  Years later that disbarring was overturned and "Georgia" became the State Song.

If you didn't notice from the movie, Mr. Charles was a huge CrackStar. As much drugs as he did, I suprised he didn't have many more inexplicable acts. I agree the music was awesome, and Jamie Foxx did a great job. Everyone will come away with something from this movie.

EuroLou