Largest Middlehorn Section?

randomnoise

Star marched at least 16 a few years.  Most of the top corps march 12, give or take a couple.  I have to say, though, that some of those mello licks in Villa Borgeheis (sp) from Star 91 were wicked.  That show kicked butt!!!

Best Mello line ever for my money! Just saying ... again!

Puppet

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a writeup on the costs of Bb vs G horns a while back, and from the numbers I got it seems like the average breakdown (in DCI anyways) for the last 5 years comes to like 20-12-20-12 for sop/mello/bari/contra.

Well, "average", anyways... :)

Mike

60 horns seems a little small for today's standard - right? So the mix would be more like 30-15-20-15?

Or are you basing your average on all 25 corps now competing in all classes? Not just the World class DCI?

Puppet

BITD when we marched frenchies, there should have been a 2:1 mix of frenchies to mellos. I recall 6 mellos and 6 frenchies at least one year that I marched, so 12. But that was 60-ish member hornlines. Had the mix been right, 18 middle horns. I counted Phantoms Euphs one year, 2006, and they had 20 Euphoniums, not including baritones. But some of those were guard Euphs or whomever that was who swapped sections for that mega-Euph feature.

But out here in non-competitive land, most seem to have 2 mellos that do the entire season. As many as 10 mellos at open house and some special events. If only gas was $2 a gallon or less again...