Largest Middlehorn Section?

randomnoise

As I was looking at 16 Mellophones on the field yesterday, I started wondering - has anyone marched 16 middlehorns before? Has anyone marched more than 16?

BTW - 16 Mellos are extremely loud - even when they have their horns DOWN!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a very interesting question.  I'm not pining for the old days, OK!  But one of the things I miss is the loss of different alto-voice timbres.  In 80 we marched 18 altos...6 french horns, 4 mellophones (yes those crying mellophones in Let It Be Me were only 4 in number) and 8 flugels.  The 8 flugels really were pivotal.   They were used both as 3rd sopranos and as part of the alto line.

Yes there are really great horn lines today!  But sometimes, some of them sound a little too thin in the middle.  For my taste there is a little too much distance, at times, not always, in timbre from the lead baritone part to the bottom mellophone part.  Some of that also depends on the horns.  For instance, the kanstal alto horns are a little darker than mellos and help to bridge that gap some.

I would be very interested to know how Mr. Naffier(sp) and some of the other arrangers that frequent this forum feel about this and how it has affected how they approach arranging for todays ensembles with different middle timbres.

As I was looking at 16 Mellophones on the field yesterday, I started wondering - has anyone marched 16 middlehorns before? Has anyone marched more than 16?

Heh, Chris!

RA is marching 16 mellos and so are the Kilties.  

Ming there and I are doing both.  It's fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Terri

Heh, Chris!

RA is marching 16 mellos and so are the Kilties.  

Ming there and I are doing both.  It's fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Terri

Duh, bad typo!  The Kilties have *8* mellos.  But we are good too.  In fact, three Guardsmen frenchies who marched together in '77 are playing mello in Kilties this year.  (I'm one of them!)

-Terri

Sky is marching 8 mellos this year.  We had 10 last year.

16 in the line...wow...that's gotta sound cool.

But I'm biased.. :)

Chris,

Is that counting you or not?  Because if it's not..  and you DO march..  not only would that make your middle horn section the LARGEST at 17 (interesting coincidental number by the way)..

it would also make the Renegades..  The Middle Horn Leader..

(okay.. only people who knew Scooter and his magazine will get that.. but I don't care!)

:)