Imprint of tuba mouthpiece

corpsnewbie

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar thing. You're using too much pressure when you play. Most likely with the high notes. My advice is re-work your chops. As a horn play I did this by setting my horn on a table and buzzing into the mouthpiece withouth touching the instrument. I dunno what you can do with the tuba. Hopefully you'll correct this sooner rather than later. I unfortunately have a white scar on my lips from this. Its not so much fun. So less pressure!!!!

Camphor fors more than weaken the muscles: From the Wikipedia entry

In 1980, the United States Food and Drug Administration set a limit of 11% allowable camphor in consumer products and totally banned products labeled as camphorated oil, camphor oil, camphor liniment, and camphorated liniment. Camphor is readily absorbed through the skin and produces a feeling of cooling similar to that of menthol and acts as slight local anesthetic; however, it is poisonous and can cause seizures, mental confusion, irritability, and neuromuscular hyperactivity. Since alternative treatments exist, medicinal use of camphor is discouraged, except for dermatic(skin-related) uses in small amounts.

Snowcone - Corps Nerd who is tired

Although this won't necessarily fix your problem, the most popular product in the Drum Corps world is Blistex DCT.  This is a very good lip balmb.  You should avoid using products which contain Camfir(sp?) as this will actually cause the muscle to deteriorate.

Blistex DCT®

DCT.gif

Blistex DCT has camphor in it. It's why is has that cooling, soothing effect. I don't use it anymore after I looked at the ingredients on the blistex website.

Now I just use Chapstick lip moisturizer.

Well, camphor in the amount that DCT has it isn't that bad. The thing is, you need to break your muscles down a little after playing. Like when you work out, you don't work the same muscles every single day; after a while you get to a point of diminishing returns. You have to take some time off and let them break down a bit before returning to exercising them. Same with your embouchere muscles; DCT helps you in that breaking down process, as well as protecting against sunburn. I've used Chapstick and some other products, but I was never as satisfied with it as I was with DCT.

DCT helps you in that breaking down process, as well as protecting against sunburn. I've used Chapstick and some other products, but I was never as satisfied with it as I was with DCT.

ive been using this other stuff from blistex and it works surprisingly well. im not out in the sun yet, but for camps its lovely. i just dont like the way dct buldges out my pocket and makes my leg look weird.

That's not a bug, that's a feature ;)