Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

Is this the photo? It's from their alumni site. If it isn't the photo you're describing, it's still pretty darned impressive:

73%20bg%20nats%20rifles%20Sherry%20Kean.jpg

[Edit: Oops, it seems to have disappeared. . . .]

YES - that is it. I got directed to their website and found the pic. Pretty good memory if I do say so myself. I actually have that issue in near perfect condition. That was a super corps. When the were on, they were good, and when they were hot - they were unstoppable.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it (you may have to scroll down the thread; I can't figure out a way to link a single post from Google): Corps methods

LOL! You made me laugh, Sue!

I remember when Whitney wrote that on RAMD and I remember that she mentioned my sister.

My sister was/still is, not one to take much crap from people. There were several rehearals back then in BD when my sister would let a rifle or flag drop to the ground and just glare at the staff when she thought they were being unreasonable.......quite ballsy for a 16 year..........

She also worked very hard at home on perfecting the guard work. My sister marched 3 years in the color guard; 81, 82, and 85. By the end of the 82 season she had marched 7 years within the Blue Devils organization from the twirlers, B corps, and A corps. She was done and wanted to do something different after 82.

She came back in 85 to marched with me during my age-out season. She didn't tell me that until after scores were announced at DCI and we were on the field. I was beyond blown away. One of my favorite pictures of that summer is of me and my sister with the crowd behind us at DCI Prelims.......the picture was taken by Gino Cipriani.

After all of these years reading about the trials and tribulations of many of the kids trying out for their favorite corps. It's amazing how much my sister and others in our area took for granted. After no guard work for two years....my sister shows up at a BD rehearsal in 85 and says "I want to be in the guard this year....when's camp?".

This is my sister with the wings at the end of the video........

She would've aged out in 87........

Edited by bd5times

.......After no guard work for two years....my sister shows up at a BD rehearsal in 85 and says "I want to be in the guard this year....when's camp?".

That's exactly the kind of bravado that old school drums corps carried with them.

People I know despise Muhammed Ali for his boasting. I say - bring it on. The man is confident, and can back up his words. And to have a confident woman - that makes it all the better.

In spite of our drum corps abilities - every corps had an enormous sense of pride, and it wouldn't take much to initiate a rumble.

LancerLegend - That's pretty much what I did when I joined the Kilties in 70 - I just showed up at a rehearsal near my 16th birthday, said I wanted to be a snare, tried out, made it, did it, one of the smartest things I've ever done!

You've got far bigger ones than me Rob. I had the local choice of BAC or 27th. Both super powerhouses.

BAC was notorious for adjusting rookie's attitudes. 27th had other expectations.

I would have been a water boy (not to demean water boys.....) if 27th told to me to do that. All I know is I wanted to remain invisible until I knew I was in the corps. As my tenure increased, so did my form of leadership.

This one is a no-brainer for me. I have to pick the 27th Lancers colorguard. These ladies had my jaw dropped in I first seen them in action at the 1977 CYO Nationals at Harvard Stadium. Not only was it a classic venue, but these ladies had the utmost class and the best uniforms I have seen to date for a colorguard. They were very friendly and even made me blush a few times...many of my fellow Kingsmen horn players would agree....any comments Cal???

byline, I to know that you know guards as well! Much better than I, I might add! :blink:

When asked to take over the 27 rifle line at the end of 81, I felt I was not competent enough to do it. I said yes for about 3 weeks then for that, and many other reasons, I decided at the 81 banquet to renege (sp?).

I believe you've taught and maybe judged as well? I only did about 2 months or so of the 1977 27 Cadets Winter Guard. And a few very short stints cleaning for some local WGI guards (very early WGI). I just felt that I expected too much, and also didn't have the confidence! I could practice for 12 hours, but to ask others to do it, I couldn't....it's very odd to me that I was so insecure about teaching.

I guess when you're insecure, you're insecure about everything!!

Wow, what's that now, 4 or 5 posts in a row.......back to putting stuff up on Ebay.....

Wait a minute..

Weren't you involved with Erte?

IMHO.. the greatest guard EVER in WGI..

Sharon

PS: I wish you would talk about this subject (WGI)..I didn't even care what this guard evolved from.. ERTE.. was a GREAT guard!

LancerLegend - That's pretty much what I did when I joined the Kilties in 70 - I just showed up at a rehearsal near my 16th birthday, said I wanted to be a snare, tried out, made it, did it, one of the smartest things I've ever done!

don't know if you've seen this Rob: http://racinekiltiealumni.org/index.html

lots of hot snare drummers in the old pictures. :blink:

Beautiful video, Rob! Thanks so much for posting that link. BD '82 is one of my all-time favorite shows! (I think I've described to you my response to that show when I saw you in Evansville that summer.) Your sister sounds--and looks--like quite the guard person. Thanks for pointing her out in the video!