Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

So very awesome! Nancy, you put the "severe" in the "Severe of Revere"...such attitude...I just love that!

Hey Sue, how about some photos of YOU?

Well, we didn't make finals the years I marched, so all I have is the "kneesocks" photo you see in my avatar, and not much else. My dad took some pictures of us in '78 and '79; they can be found on the Del/Oakland website: Master Gallery 4

The color photos are the ones my dad took. Here's a bigger version of the dreaded "kneesocks" photo; Dad wanted a picture of me "posing" in the Chattanooga parking lot before the show, so there I am. That's about as good as it gets, I'm afraid. I'm in most of the ones from both the Rockford and Chattanooga shows. The only way I can pinpoint myself is to say that my usual spot was on Side 2 in the back, right next to the 50.

1979%20aug%20chattanooga%20#4e28.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in most of the ones from both the Rockford and Chattanooga shows. The only way I can pinpoint myself is to say that my usual spot was on Side 2 in the back, right next to the 50.

OK, for example, in these three taken from the back in Rockford in '78 (by the time my parents got there, the seats in front were all sold out), I'm the one either just to the left of the 50, or, in the second one, on it. In the first picture, you can see where the 50 is because the flag line is splitting it; my flag is in a side drop to the right, while the gal on Side 1 next to the 50 is doing a side drop to her left:

1978-05%20july%20rockfor#4e1e4.jpg

In this one, I'm going right up the 50:

1978-08%20july%20rockfor#4e1ff.jpg

In this one, I'm the one on the far right, marching away from the 50:

1978-09%20july%20rockfor#4e208.jpg

I can't remember exactly where I was in this file as we're getting ready to do the "X"; I think I was second from the end, or the first person in back facing toward Side 2. It's hard to remember, because we changed that drill move several times that summer, thus changing the order we were in:

1978-02%20july%20rockford#4e1c.jpg

I'm somewhere in this long line when we were leaving retreat. But I really like this picture, especially since it shows the Canadian flag:

1978-14%20july%20rockford#4e23.jpg

Thank God we had the boots that year! They looked so much better than the white kneesocks and black slippers we wore the following year.

I'm in this rehearsal photo from Chattanooga, but it's really hard to pinpoint where I am. I'm in the very back, second from your right, the one with short dark hair:

1979%20aug%20chattanooga%20#4e_2.jpg

And this is one of the better scans from the Chattanooga show; it's taken from the front, and I'm in my usual spot on Side 2 (your right) next to the 50 in back:

1979%20aug%20chattanooga%20#4e2f.jpg

Like the scrapbook photos I've posted, these photos are all mounted in those old magnetic photo albums with the sticky backing. So, rather than risk tearing them by removing them from the pages, I just left them in the pages and scanned them that way. So that's why some of the photos turned out kind of yucky. They look fine iin the albums, but their quality degraded a bit in the scanning process.

OK, enough of me. Let's see some photos of other folks!

Edited by byline

I've always liked these Freelancers guard pix:

freelancers1.jpeg

freelancers2.jpeg

freelancers3.jpeg

Wonderful pics, Sue!!

Nance - couldn't make out the kilts in pic - my eyes are in the "bifocal" stage of life! You all wore them at some point, didn't you? (the kilts, not the bifocals, that is!)

:P

Edited by RobH

Wonderful pics, Sue!!

Yup . . . but don't thank me, thank the photographers and Drum Corps World!

[Edit: Oops, I assumed you were referring to the Freelancers photos. You may have also been referring to the Oakland pix. If so, I still don't deserve the thanks; that should go to my dad!]

BTW, the reason I didn't reduce them more is that when I tried doing that, I got this weird polka-dotted pattern. I'm not sure why that's happening, but for some reason, it didn't happen when I reduced them to this size. So I left them that way.

Also, sorry 'bout the tape on the side of one of the pictures. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I regret it; I taped the plastic sheets so that they wouldn't flip open. That's another reason why it's difficult for me to remove the photos from the pages, because I'd have to remove all that tape, hopefully without tearing anything. Oh, well. :blink:

Edited by byline

Best rifleline photo ever taken was on the cover of Drum Corps News - August 1972 - when Anaheim Kingsmen won the U.S Open by 3 points over 27th.

Since I don't have a scanner, I'll do my best to describe. This was a full front cover photo. The rifles are at parade rest, right hand resting on their hip with their elbow extended. Their rifle barrel is being gripped with their left hand - arm extended, and the rifle stock is resting at their left boot. They are guarding the booty they just stole.

I don't think those women had eyes - all you can see is chain resting across their chins and the visor of their shako. They were tough women.

Best rifleline photo ever taken was on the cover of Drum Corps News - August 1972 - when Anaheim Kingsmen won the U.S Open by 3 points over 27th.

Since I don't have a scanner, I'll do my best to describe. This was a full front cover photo. The rifles are at parade rest, right hand resting on their hip with their elbow extended. Their rifle barrel is being gripped with their left hand - arm extended, and the rifle stock is resting at their left boot. They are guarding the booty they just stole.

I don't think those women had eyes - all you can see is chain resting across their chins and the visor of their shako. They were tough women.

Guess what, I believe someone posted that picture last week, and it's on their site....let me see if I can direct you to it!!!

now thats what I'm talking about

Hi Rob remember the song these boots

are made for walking,,,,,,,, And one of these days

{ if I'm Lucky } These boots will Walk all over me

Lancerfi sorry for the shoe / boot mess up

even with shoes you girls look HOT

No problem about the boots, I just wondered if after I aged out they wore boots with pants tucked in with maybe the 1983-85 guard uniforms....I think it was 83, 84, 85, when they wore those beautiful new red jackets but I could be wrong....I really loved that new uniform that came in 83!

I believe that picture of the original Lancer uni is 1968 or 69, I'll have to look on the back, it does have the year on it! You can see the white aussie hat in the picture that the guard captain used to wear, boy was that beautiful....the DM and Guard Captain wore stirrups as well.... :( I never got to wear the corps uniforms....how very sad, the only sister that didn't wear that uniform....there were 3 of us! Spanning 50s, I think 50s, 60s, 70's & 80s.

Edited by LancerFi

Is this the photo? It's from their alumni site. If it isn't the photo you're describing, it's still pretty darned impressive:

73%20bg%20nats%20rifles%20Sherry%20Kean.jpg

[Edit: Oops, it seems to have disappeared. . . .]

Edited by byline