Double "C"

MiniSopGuy

So I am having a real interesting problem on my bugle (a dynasty G353 sop).

Getting double "C" is a real chore and I cant seem to find a fingering to make it work well. Double Bb B or D isnt a problem, but that C just doesnt want to project.

Anyone else experienced this? If so, any work around solutions?

Edited by MiniSopGuy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressing all three valves should be a good combination. The partials are closer with that combination.

Although, the Tasteebros (Scott Englebright & Donny Dyess) say 2/3 combo is best. I'm not sure why.

More air always helps.

Edited by mrshowfan

Getting double "C" is a real chore....

Get a Kanstul. :P

I'm with KungFuCharlie, Much easier that way. Plus you'll sound better.

Getting double "C" is a real chore and I cant seem to find a fingering to make it work well.  Double Bb B or D isnt a problem, but that C just doesnt want to project.

Anyone else experienced this?  If so, any work around solutions?

When ever I play Double "C" (or any "C") I don't use any valves. Getting the note is not the fingering, it's the "Chops" and your ear. It is possible to play any note above High "C" w/o any valves at all. My opinion is that any time you play a "C" in any register - unless there are about 6 Flats, or a couple of Sharps, or an accidental, any "C" needs to be played open.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it

Thank You -

Thank You very much -

SoloSop420

Open fingerings should always work best. That is the shortest path through the horn and should be the least stuffy of any valve combos. I actually find that high D and double D scream out easier, louder, and better in tune using no valves on both my bugle and my trumpet. If you can come up with the money, get rid of the DEG Die-Nasty and buy a Kastul Powerbore.

When ever I play Double "C" (or any "C") I don't use any valves.  Getting the note is not the fingering, it's the "Chops" and your ear.  It is possible to play any note above High "C" w/o any valves at all.  My opinion is that any time you play a "C" in any register - unless there are about 6 Flats, or a couple of Sharps, or an accidental, any "C" needs to be played open.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it

Thank You -

Thank You very much -

SoloSop420

There are many notes above high C that can't be played open. High C#, Eb, F, F#, G#, A, Bb, and B. (you can play something near an F#, A, Bb, and B, open, but you'll be almost a quarter tone off.)

Most lead players use a whole host of alternate fingerings in the upper register. The fingering that you use for a note doesn't matter one bit as long as it is in tune. If you need to finger a top space E 1,2 to play it in tune, then you should always play it 1,2. Every horn plays different, especially in that extreme range, as does every mouthpiece. No matter how perfect the horn is there are going to be serious tuning issues with the higher register because the mouthpiece is the sole factor that affects the intonation above the high G/Ab (depends on the horn), and it is constantly making the notes flatter and flatter in relation to the lower register the higher you go.

There are many notes above high C that can't be played open. High C#, Eb, F, F#, G#, A, Bb, and B. (you can play something near an F#, A, Bb, and B, open, but you'll be almost a quarter tone off.)

That's why I keep my "tune any note" slide very well lubricated! ^0^

Why not just use a fingering that is closer to the correct pitch and adjust from there?

Sorry, I forgot to put the disclaimer about sarcasm. Perhaps one day the world will learn to recognize sarcasm when it happens. :rolleyes: