some old corps photos

OMG - YES. 27th was heading east from our tour to Calif in July 1976. As we were crossing the Rockies - there were "hills" that our bus could not climb. Worse part - it was at night. The lights from the houses in the canyon below looked so tiny - I figured we were up pretty high.

It was the bus I was on, and George B was standing at the drivers seat as the bus was emptying out, he saw that there was just me, Kathy H. and Patty (Swe...) he said OK, that's enough! We were screaming with happiness.

His idea maybe was that we'd unpack the buses (sleeping bags and maybe some suitcases) after sleeping stretched out on the bus all night! I believe we ran into the school, took a shower, went out for a breakfast for 9 (we each ordered 3) then went back, and I don't believe he asked us to do anything......oh what a feeling. Of course 1/2 of the corps didn't speak to us for a day or 2 but it wasn't our fault!!

Michael "Dust In the Wind" was happy for me!!!!......but angry that he wasn't there with us!!

Another night we did walk up that hill, trucks to the left of us on a very windy curve and a mile drop to the right of us, a tight squeeze to say the least!! I think we pushed every bus we ever had....and had a few accidents as well. Not bad ones of course.

Edited by LancerFi

The pictures from Stockton are definitely from 79.  The drum major is Gordon Mcgraw.  This would have been around July 5th or so.  California shows are always at the beginning of the season from late June through early July.

byline.... :music::music::music: I enjoyed our conversation anyway! Detectives or forensics come to mind. My husband thinks I should be a detective in forensics, but you do pretty good yourself, and what a long term memory! :blink:

Oh and Malibu, tell Schneeed, he was wrong for the "first time" ahaaaaaaaaaaaaa :sshh:

That drum major didn't look like 80, either that or he filled out a little bit, which in DCI is just about impossible! How people don't lose 1/4 of their bodies on tour is a questions I never could figure out. I know muscle weighs more than the other stuff, maybe that's why I went from maybe 104 to maybe 101 by the 3rd week in August......I love that lean muscle look.....

Edited by LancerFi

Imagine if it is 79 and we went thru what we went thru with you showing explaining to me all of the differences and me totally agreeing with you because you got so indepth, then we find out -- dut dut dut dah, dut dut dut da, we may both be incorrect now after I came to your side  :P .....

LOL, now that would be a fun exercise! Sometimes I really do wish we could travel back in time and re-experience some of these things with what we know now, and with the people we know now. Wouldnt' that be fun? I wouldn't stay there forever, just do a little traveling back and forth, stopping at certain times and places, really enjoying the stuff I got the first time around, and then better appreciating the stuff I didn't.

And it doesn't matter what year when it comes right down to it!  Hey, do you think we should begin on page 1 and do this with as many photos we can? 

:lolhit:  :lolhit:  :lolhit:  :lolhit:  :music:  :music:  :blink:

Oh, man, you just know other folks reading this thread are screaming, "Nooooooo! Please, make it stop!" :P

Edited by byline

The pictures from Stockton are definitely from 79.  The drum major is Gordon Mcgraw.  This would have been around July 5th or so.  California shows are always at the beginning of the season from late June through early July.

That's what I thought. I'm thinking that by August, we were all pretty much headed south toward Birmingham, and so the contests--or, at least, the ones I remember--were stops along the way.

Wait....I know shows ran late, but folks we're talking about a corps from GA doing a show in CA in October??? Sorry, the date just doesn't sound right to me. It would make sense for them to do one near GA....with half the corps. Got to remember many kids were in school or lived out of state.

Not only that but this picture had to have been taken BEFORE July 8th.....after that day, they wore black arm bands in memory of Jim Ott.

Let me ask Schneeed if they were doing shows that late. Hey at least we were confirmed the year was 1980.  b**bs

With all due respect to everyone, Yes the date must be incorrect. I checked and It was more than likely around July 4. Has anyone come up with the correct Year. I am sure it had to be 1980, but I could be wrong.

Spirit4.jpg

Edited by scv1dcin81

Yeah, true you guys beat us in the end, but in an actual head to head meet, we beat you more times than you did us. Heck, we beat Bridgemen and 27th Lancers everal times that year. That year will always put a bad taste in my mouth! :music:

I don't remember Spirt being in California either of those years. It was always the basic lineup:

Blue Devils

Santa Clara

Freelancers

Seattle Imperials etc...

We would've definately remembered Spirit being there.

I don't remember Spirt being in California either of those years.  It was always the basic lineup:

Blue Devils

Santa Clara

Freelancers

Seattle Imperials etc...

We would've definately remembered Spirit being there.

Well, you must forgive yourself because not only was Spirit there in 1979, we (Crossmen) were there as well. I just looked at my 1979 schedule for Stockton, CA. July 4, 1979;

1. Blue Devils 82.45

2. SCV 79.70

3. Spirit 78.65

4. Crossmen 73.20

5. Freelancers 67.50

6. VK 46.10

7. 1st Canadian Regiment 36.30

Yeah, true you guys beat us in the end, but in an actual head to head meet, we beat you more times than you did us. Heck, we beat Bridgemen and 27th Lancers everal times that year. That year will always put a bad taste in my mouth! :music:

We know the feeling all too well. At least you guys beat the 13th place curse.