some old corps photos

DrumCorpsCanada0010.jpg

The Patriots were our cross-town archff rivals under the direction of Bill Rutherford...we often traded wins back and forth back in the day. We were usually happy enough to just squeeze past them let alone all of the other great guards of this era. There were a couple of mandatory moves in winter guard at that time...Posting Colours into small "posting pots" and saluting them dated back to the days of the American Legion and VFW posts doing similar ceremonies prior to meetings; and "Pass in Review" where a company front was formed and marched a considerable length of the floor in this front at a present arms. The real beauty of this were the incredible, ingenious ways in which guards would attempt to get in and out of this formation; trying to make it appear out of nowhere or doing something crazy in a scatter and just having the front materialize...I always like this part..

Just 5 years later, Tom would have a few choice words for anyone with thier hands that high off the drum.

Regards,

John

Penalty for high sticking? Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-) Notice the hair nets? I had to wear 3 hairnets! Classic photo, very nice :-)

DrumCorpsCanada0007.jpg

From March 1974 Drum Corps Canada and Pete McCusker photo credits...Left to right: Guelph Opti-Knights, Toronto Optimists, Flying Dutchmen, Cardinals. In the middle, my old friends of the Quorom.

Guard captain Greg Oxenham top right.

1973 Nationals program, LaSalle Cadets

73-nats-lasalle.jpg

Program notes ‘…started in 1963…this year in 1973 are marching 107 members…repertoire is ‘One Fine Morning’, ‘Patriotic Medley’, ‘Eloise’, ‘Jezabel’, ‘Shaft’.

Edited by lindap

I agree that this is an odd grip, but the photo is not reversed (drop on the left and right to left cross strap is correct). Usually the slide was worked by the left hand using the ring on the bottom of the horn and the valve operated by the right thumb which was the gripping hand. It looks as though they are pulling the tuning slide directly with their right hand and using the left thumb on the valve.

Old Boston always had a rep of doing things the hard way just because they could. Ask any drummer from the day about their penchant to start rudiments with their left hand.

We didn't have the ring slides then. We used our right hand on the slide and left thumb on the valve. That is me on the right. Neal told me about the picture on Super Bowl Sunday.