some old corps photos

Seneca Optimists 1977

seneca7711.jpg

Man, I remember that parachute move. Saw it at the 1977 NT Open in North Tonawanda, NY.

My first year watching corps, thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw. Little did I know

what I was in store for!

1973 Nationals program, Toronto Optimists

Program notes ‘formed in 1955 as a Boy Scout band…since 1958 won Canadian Championships 12 times…1973 varied musical styles from classical to Latin to Rock…’Le Coq D’or’, ‘Caravan’ (Duke Ellington), Blood, Sweat and Tears medley ‘More and More’, ‘Lucretia MacEvil’, ‘Sometimes in Winter’.

73-nats-optis.jpg

This photo may be from a contest or half-time show at a football game. The turf says CFL. To the left of the national flag is Janet with a rifle. She marched with Scarborough Firefighters 70-71 and joined Optimists in 72. Janet, Joannie, myself and a few more girls would practice spinning in Janet’s backyard. Sometimes Janet and Joannie’s brothers, Jim and Dave, would practice snare. We’d spin to their beat. One day they kept accelerating; we tried to keep up but you can only spin a rifle so fast before it drops or until your arms feel like they're falling off. Drummers ruled that day. Janet won numerous solo rifle contests at I&E. I recognize a few faces in this photo but I’m not good with names.

edit um i have Blood Sweat and Tears record album...when i liked a drum corps song, i'd get the album bitd, sometimes in winter :-)

Edited by lindap

1973 Nationals program, Optimist Lancers, Etobicoke Ontario

Program notes ‘formed in 1969…1973 first year in Junior C…they’re playing ‘Off the Line Fanfare’, ‘Games People Play’, ‘Put Your Hand in the Hand’, ‘Aura Lee’, ‘Cecilia’, ‘Wagon Wheels’.

73-nats-lancers.jpg

Etobicoke Optimist Lancers wore orange, green and white. Mr. Al Tierney asked me to work with Scarborough Optimist Cadets spring of 74. I taught them marching for a few months. The kids were younger than the Lancers.

edit um i have Blood Sweat and Tears record album...when i liked a drum corps song, i'd get the album bitd, sometimes in winter :-)

I often thought how interesting it was that drum corps introduced me to so many different genres of music...I would do the same thing; buying an album after I heard a corps play something on the field I liked. Drum corps introduced me to Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, a lot of classics, Buddy Rich, the big band sounds of the 40's, Gene Krupa...kind of a musical education but sort of in reverse...if drum corps hadn't drawn my attention to it I don't know that I ever would have found these marvelous sounds...

In 1977 or so I was in a Personal Typing Class in HS (it was a class I could take because there was no other class for me to go after I dropped Spanish) the teacher played flute. He take the flute out and says,"if anyone can tell me the name of this piece you can have the rest of the period off." He had this smug look as if no one was going to get the right answer. He starts to play and I immediately recognize it and raise my hand. He stops and says, "Yes Mr. Hall!" I said "Marche Militaire Francais!" He almost crapped his pants! "How did you know that?" I said I just did. Real reason though is that Regimente Militaire played it and I remembered it. LOL

I often thought how interesting it was that drum corps introduced me to so many different genres of music...I would do the same thing; buying an album after I heard a corps play something on the field I liked. Drum corps introduced me to Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, a lot of classics, Buddy Rich, the big band sounds of the 40's, Gene Krupa...kind of a musical education but sort of in reverse...if drum corps hadn't drawn my attention to it I don't know that I ever would have found these marvelous sounds...

1973 Nationals program, Toronto Optimists

Program notes ‘formed in 1955 as a Boy Scout band…since 1958 won Canadian Championships 12 times…1973 varied musical styles from classical to Latin to Rock…’Le Coq D’or’, ‘Caravan’ (Duke Ellington), Blood, Sweat and Tears medley ‘More and More’, ‘Lucretia MacEvil’, ‘Sometimes in Winter’.

73-nats-optis.jpg

This photo may be from a contest or half-time show at a football game. The turf says CFL. To the left of the national flag is Janet with a rifle. She marched with Scarborough Firefighters 70-71 and joined Optimists in 72. Janet, Joannie, myself and a few more girls would practice spinning in Janet’s backyard. Sometimes Janet and Joannie’s brothers, Jim and Dave, would practice snare. We’d spin to their beat. One day they kept accelerating; we tried to keep up but you can only spin a rifle so fast before it drops or until your arms feel like they're falling off. Drummers ruled that day. Janet won numerous solo rifle contests at I&E. I recognize a few faces in this photo but I’m not good with names.

Jim Kane - tenor on left

snares - Al Murray, Dana Burrage, Doug Bass, and next should be Larry Blandford but it looks more like Ken Bain.

Regards,

John