some old corps photos

Anyone know who the uniform on the left is? It's not Devils A corps but could it be the B corps?

BDtruck78.jpg

Looks very West Pointish...it might be a military school.

But it's probably some West coast corps I never heard of.

1990 Ventures (photo courtesy of steelcityrabbit :-) http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a...fd-997cf924fb84

1990-ventures.jpg

Has to be either 88 or 89. That's Kansas City. I think it's 89. The DCI.org picture is Buffalo, but this one is obviously KC.

Edited by tommytimp

My heros.....

I agree. This was the corps (70) that made me say I want to be there some day.

Hey Jim, did they march 5 snares? That would not have been the norm back then.

Looks very West Pointish...it might be a military school.

But it's probably some West coast corps I never heard of.

I thought that as well Tommy but then I realized this picture was taken in CO at 78 Nats.

Every single one of those tenors is a rookie.

Yep. One of the more famous years of transition for the Cavaliers. Many kids from the cadets come up to fill in spots and this is when Rosemont saved us from folding. Many of the "old timers" from the late 70's were aging out during this time, and some just saw the writing on the wall (lack of $$$) so 82 was a VERY young corps. But, those young guys stuck around for awhile and helped build the very foundation that brought in the new age Cavaliers in the late 80's and 90's.

Many of the older corps go through multiple transitions through their history. Some make it through them, most don't, unfortunetly.

Has to be either 88 or 89. That's Kansas City. I think it's 89. The DCI.org picture is Buffalo, but this one is obviously KC.

Thank you. I noticed this photo has no screen at the sidelines to hide things whereas the other photo did. It was an honour to have been hired as a guard tech the same week I moved to K-W September 1974. I corresponded with the Ventures organization February 2010 and forwarded my memorabilia, including my autumn 1974 guard roster that listed 41 girls including 17 rookies, average age was 13 ½, the youngest was 10. According to my notes, 1 had quit, 2 went to the drum line and 2 went to the horn line. The girls were a pleasure to instruct; they learned quickly and had a great practice attitude. They did very well at a winter guard contest held in K-W on February 16, 1975 as seen below.

1975-ventures2-a.jpg

Cavaliers

cavalierslate60s.jpg

Great picture from the "VWF Prelims" in Roosevelt Stadium 1966. I remember marching in that competition with the Chicago Royal-Airs.