some old corps photos

Ummmm.....am I looking at this wrong or are the backfield seats pretty darn full? If those are the backfield seats - wow! And I don't see people in uniform, so it is not apparent that these people are members of other corps which had already performed and are now watching the rest of the show. ???

I think it's safe to say that those are corps members in the back stands. Considering there were about 98 corps that attended world championships week in many classes ...43 Class A corps - 7 all girls and 48 corps in Prelims for Open Class .. I would guess this is Prelims.

This is the vantage point from which these Santa Clara shows needed to be seen. Anything closer, and I agree with those who say the props looked kind of cheap and distracted from the show. But, from a distance, IMO they worked quite beautifully . . . especially in '87.

Couldn't agree with you more. Vanguard of the MID to LATE 80's was definitely meant to be seen from up top ..... and sorry I wasn't in the upper deck, but I was about as high up in the lower deck as you can get at Camp Randall Stadium ... which I might add was perfect acoustically back then before they added the backside press boxes and switched to metal seats in 87. You wouldn't think those types of factors would make a difference, but trust me they do. The metal seats weren't that big of a change other than reverb ping .... but that pressbox addition really killed the sound of Camp Randall. If you listen to the 86 and 87 recordings of Cavies, you'll hear a big difference in resonance and pings on hits. EMU, former home of DCI North in Ypsi Michigan is a ping hellhole. 6 ft wall up front and all aluminum stands was never a great listening experience for drum corps ...... but I would take it in a heartbeat over the thunderdome of the Oil Can.

Not sure if I posted this one or not.

It's the 1970 27th Lancers

70lancers.jpg

I loved these Olds sopranos. They were great to play on, open sound and the chrome plating was indestructible!

It's too bad that Drum & Bugle Corps no longer use bugles :tongue: . I quess it's just another step forward towards being just "bands".

Oh please...technically, a soprano is simply a trumpet in the key of G...it's only called a bugle because drum corps says it is.

They stopped being true bugles the moment they added the first valve.

AMEN!!! THank you. These people need to move on. I can't bring back shows like "Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea" nor can I bring back the Buffalo Bills that went to 4 Super Bowls (Yeah that they lost). We can't bring back G bugles because companies are either not making them OR they are fading them out.

"And we're walking....."

Oh please...technically, a soprano is simply a trumpet in the key of G...it's only called a bugle because drum corps says it is.

Well, I think it's true that the things we call "bugles" sound different and are louder than 'trumpets.' But there are fiscal/quality issues behind why most corps are now using the things we call 'trumpets.'

Also another person mentioned bugles are not being produced, but they still are. (But I wonder for how long...):

http://www.kanstul.net/category.php?catego...;metaPage=Bugle

http://www.dynastyband.com/product/product...sSubProductID=1

Back to the historical stuff,

Good article on the evolution of the bugle:

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Evolution%...Section%204.htm