some old corps photos

Thanks, Linda, for commenting on Nancy's observations. I had missed them on the first pass (thanks to a little "excitement" over the announced closing of the plant where my husband works), and so I'm glad you reminded me, and also added your own thoughts.

I completely get what both you and Nancy are saying about the differences in style, especially for the guards. I think it's important to add that there were other, more fluid styles, as well (I thought of those as the West Coast style, and then there were equally distinctive Midwest and East Coast styles), and while those tended not to be recognized as a "trained" style, they were every bit as trained as variations on the more military style. And in my experience, the more fluid style was harder to pull off. I can't really explain why. I think it's because "snap" is a more naturally intuitive response, and it's all self-contained as one sharply defined movement, whereas the more fluid style has multiple gradients of movement that make it more complex.

That's not to say that, for example, even a simple right-shoulder-arms on flag doesn't have multiple gradients. It does, and that's the beauty of teaching technique so that the timing is spotless. But the more extraneous movement you add to the right shoulder -- or if you slow it down to half-speed -- the harder it is to clean across the ensemble. People think fast equipment work is hard to clean . . . and, for obvious reasons, it can be, just as a fast section of music can be hard to clean. But slow work is a challenge, too. As an instructor, I often found that slower, softer sections were far, far harder to clean than the faster, more physically demanding sections. It's kind of like my guards knew that the harder sections demanded more, so they gave more. The softer sections seemed easier, and so they treated the work accordingly. A lot of it was a mental game, and the mental game was harder to conquer than the physical one.

OK, now that I've really confused the issue with my ramblings . . . do carry on! :smile:

No confusion or rambling, I love that you have an almost scientific explanation, way above my head. I do have to agree, in most cases, especially while on the competition field even doing something more difficult faster sometimes made it cleaner and almost easier because there wasn't time to think (IMO) about it or even time to make a mistake unless it was a drop.

Usually on 1rst tour Denise :worthy: would go thru e-a-c-h c-o-u-n-t, and where e-a-c-h hand was supposed to be. We'd go over and over it and generally the timing would come together so much better because each hand and angle was in the same place and we'd have conversations about where it should or end up being. It was a long and very draining arduous affair but sometimes when I watch the video, some of the easiest movements make me go OH MY GOD....it's like we had the same habits...it's not habit that I mean, it's something I'm unable to explain, I guess it might have to do with timing maybe, the way the rifle would go up ever so much during a move, but each one did it the same....guess I really cannot explain this part. Intangibles? I don't know....

I'm not going to apologize for hijacking this thread as I spent hours and hours scanning and posting pics...so I"m not going to feel guilty on this one!! :worthy::worthy:

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE 1994 PICS ARE OF OUR REUNION CORPS ARE? I cannot locate them but saw them a few years back on DCP. They were taken from the side of the stadium while we were laying back to spin in Danny Boy, I'm dying to see them and also ask if I may post them to my Face Book? Thanks all!!!

Loved those grey uniforms!

i remember at retreat in 1992, they had a representative of all the top 12 corps in a historical uniform on the field. Ours was worn by one of our guard staffers (Greg Morgan) who marched sop in the 70's. He came out in that grey uniform and we were all stunned at how good it looked!

Usually on 1rst tour Denise :laughing: would go thru e-a-c-h c-o-u-n-t, and where e-a-c-h hand was supposed to be. We'd go over and over it and generally the timing would come together so much better because each hand and angle was in the same place and we'd have conversations about where it should or end up being. It was a long and very draining arduous affair but sometimes when I watch the video, some of the easiest movements make me go OH MY GOD....it's like we had the same habits...it's not habit that I mean, it's something I'm unable to explain, I guess it might have to do with timing maybe, the way the rifle would go up ever so much during a move, but each one did it the same....guess I really cannot explain this part. Intangibles? I don't know....

Don't worry about the wording; you definitely all seemed to be on the same wavelength. That's the difference between a true guard and a collection of individuals, and so much of that has to do with everyone performing with the same technique and really digging into such attention to detail. I love your explanation ... and I wish my guards -- both those that I marched with and the ones I taught -- could have achieved your level of execution! :tongue:

Don't worry about the wording; you definitely all seemed to be on the same wavelength. That's the difference between a true guard and a collection of individuals, and so much of that has to do with everyone performing with the same technique and really digging into such attention to detail. I love your explanation ... and I wish my guards -- both those that I marched with and the ones I taught -- could have achieved your level of execution! :laughing:

Once you get through the clarification process (which Nancy described) then everyone knows what is suppose to be where. Then, repetition creates muscle memory which creates consistency.

Once you get through the clarification process (which Nancy described) then everyone knows what is suppose to be where. Then, repetition creates muscle memory which creates consistency.

Thanks for your accurate statement. I worked as a playground leader summer of 71 yet continued to struggle to pay my drum corps dues. In lieu of dues, I was given the opportunity to teach new kids how to march and spin for our feeder corps, some as young as 8. This was the beginning of many wonderful years as guard tech during the winter months. I took a top down approach for the new kids, head, neck, shoulders, back, posture…then e a c h finger, e a c h hand position…leg, knee, heel, toe, stride, cadence, count, sing etc. During the 80’s, a number of guards in our area had open houses where friends and relatives of current members attended to see if they’d like to spin, the pre-technique phase. Here’s a January 24, 1986 newspaper clip of Donna, age 12, Edmonton All Girl Marching Ambassadors. Enjoy.

1986-01-24-a.jpg

checking favorites and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALpR7wBM34

Edited by lindap

…another photo; possibly from the same newspaper; reminds me of some of our older guard members in the 80’s, some with up to 10 years of marching and/or spinning experience…many of the Canadian Royalaires winter guard members went on to dance in a modern jazz troupe called Sinclavier (sp?)…

1985-news-a.jpg