some old corps photos

Flapjacks.  Very popular for about a month in the early 70's.  It was a lighter version of the double bass.  Not sure who made them.  Maybe McCormick's?

"Flapjacks" debuted in 1968 with the Cavaliers. Yes, they were a McCormick invention. Not enough sound projection, and they eventually started to "sag" so that they were hanging in an inverted V shape midway through the season. Cavies went back to standard double tenors before year-end.

That's Dale Gander. Ken marched sop, Dale marched tymp beside me in 79 & 80.

Ah, thanks, Susan!

On the left, Jerry Best. In the middle ? I saw both Mark and Jerry at the reunion in October. Mark still looks the same, bas--rd!

LOL! Ah, yes, Jerry! He was married to a gal in the guard . . . can't remember her name, either! *sigh*

It's dumb, because I should remember the name of the fellow in the middle. He and Beth were a couple that summer, but I just can't bring up his name. I think he may have come from Michigan, and I'm pretty sure he played soprano. I've got another picture of him looking at sheet music, but his face is in shadow so I don't think it would scan very well. For some reason the name Brian rings a bell, but I just can't be sure. Mark would probably know, especially since everyone was always commenting on how much alike this trio looked.

Vince Ciccine. Saw him in October too. He's got less hair than I do, which is somewhat satisfying.

OK, so at least I got Vince right. Notice that he's wearing a Maynard Ferguson T-shirt. I have no idea why he has it pulled up; I think he was just showing off for the camera.

In the background of the fifth pic, it looks like either Jacinthe Allyene, or Joel's mom walking through the field.

It may be both of them; there's two of them, and one is wearing a corps jacket. Joel's mom helped with the corps all three years I marched. Joel's sister (Is her name Jacinthe?) marched guard (flag) in '78, and I'm pretty sure she was the guard captain that year. She was very talented, with the strongest military demeanor I've ever seen in a guard person, but I'm sad to say I never got to know her very well.

Edited by byline