some old corps photos

The 1937-1938 Holy Name Cadets. The Corps won their first major title in 1937 when they captured the Eastern States Championship.

HolyName_1937.jpg

The Holy Name Cadets adopted the West Point uniform for their own use in 1939.

HolyName_1939.jpg

The 1940 Holy Name Cadets perform at the World's Fair.

HolyName_1940.jpg

The 1941 Holy Name Cadets. Many of these Cadets entered the service during World War II. As the older boys left, younger ones joined so the Corps could continue to perform in parades during the years.

HolyName_1941.jpg

1945 marked the end of the war and resumption of drum corps field competitions. The Cadets, looking markedly younger, pose on the church steps with a flag marking the number of men from Garfield, NJ (70) who served the United States during World War II.

HolyName_1945.jpg

1950 at a performance in Garfield, NJ.

HolyName_1950.jpg

The 1957 American Legion National Champions.

HolyName_1957.jpg

I know I sent some 2-7 pictures to the Lancer website......maybe that's how WinMX got it. It doesn't matter......I'm glad people are enjoying them. I have 100s more that I need to scan from over the years.

Please feel free to send more our way! :) We're working on photo galleries now especially the pictures you sent of 86! Much appreciated! :sumo:

In 1958 the Corps broke ties with the Holy Name parish and became the Garfield Cadets. The Church wouldn't allow the Corps to wear their own uniforms or use their equipment. So, the Corps got a new look for a while. These drums were lent by The Cavaliers.

Garfield_1958.jpg

The Cadets on parade at the 1959 American Legion Nationals in Minneapolis. By 1960 the Corps scraped enough money together to purchase duplicates of their old Cadet uniform.

Garfield_1959_Parade.jpg