The Return Of DCI's First Champion

Difference being, what he posted was personal opinion here on the DCP message boards, which is a separate entity from the DCP News section (seen on the front page of DCP).

Fair enough, but ridiculous just the same...thanks for cooling me off!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, but ridiculous just the same...thanks for cooling me off!

1).Yes, indeed, I am the managing editor of Drum Corps Planet. What is God's name does that have to do with me expressing my opinion? This not an editorial, not a column, not a news piece, nothing that represents DCP in the slightest. I was representing my own personal opinion, based on stories I have had heard from Kingsmen Alumni and their parents. I never once said that these were true, just that this is all I have ever heard about the man… period. If someone has a great story to tell about Rocco, by all means, do it! I have nothing personal against the man at all. But based on what I have heard, I would not allow my kids to march if he was the director. As a parent, that is not only my right, but my responsibility.

If you are wondering where those comments came from, there you go.

2). If you rally want to know my credentials, I would be happy to supply you with them in private. I am sure you will find my education and professional background as a journalist more than credible.

3). I did not take any offense from your comments, nor was any intended on my part. My personal feeling is that the Kingsmen were a corps that died way too early, and it is my hope that they can rise again and serve the youth of Orange County. I think we all forget sometimes that it’s about the kids, and the experience. As an Orange County resident, I will do what it takes to support this corps, as long as it is done responsibly with the intention of serving the kids and the community first.

1).Yes, indeed, I am the managing editor of Drum Corps Planet. What is God's name does that have to do with me expressing my opinion? This not an editorial, not a column, not a news piece, nothing that represents DCP in the slightest. I was representing my own personal opinion, based on stories I have had heard from Kingsmen Alumni and their parents. I never once said that these were true, just that this is all I have ever heard about the man… period. If someone has a great story to tell about Rocco, by all means, do it! I have nothing personal against the man at all. But based on what I have heard, I would not allow my kids to march if he was the director. As a parent, that is not only my right, but my responsibility.

If you are wondering where those comments came from, there you go.

2). If you rally want to know my credentials, I would be happy to supply you with them in private. I am sure you will find my education and professional background as a journalist more than credible.

3). I did not take any offense from your comments, nor was any intended on my part. My personal feeling is that the Kingsmen were a corps that died way too early, and it is my hope that they can rise again and serve the youth of Orange County. I think we all forget sometimes that it’s about the kids, and the experience. As an Orange County resident, I will do what it takes to support this corps, as long as it is done responsibly with the intention of serving the kids and the community first.

Ok NewsEditor44, I was just waiting for your response. Now that you have explained I am feeling pretty good. Like I said in my posts, I am not doubting one bit the gripes that some fellow alumni have with Rocco, I was only stating my disgust with those who bash the man. Now that you have clarified, I can move on without any ranker or bitterness. By the way, I never once implied that you were lying, you made that clear in the first paragraph of your post. If I offended you I apologize.

Well, as far as saying something "nice" about Rocco, I guess I did and will say more.

In 67 Kingsmen, I had Rocco, Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford as my instructors. All three at the beginning of their drum corps instruction career. Fred moved up North to go to school, leaving Fullerton JC. Pete, of course, went.....they were a package deal. Along with Gail Royer, they "created" the high calibre of drum corps associated with Santa Clara Vanguard.

Pete taught me how to march Trooper-style, which at the time was the penultimate "scientific" marching style. Fred, me being a brass player and not a percussionist, still taught me many things to listen for in a percussion ensemble.

Rocco taught me discipline. I got scolded early in the year for a little "showboating" at the first field show of 67 at San Ysidro. After the Bill Bailey quartet feature, I took a few extra steps forward and gave the thumbs up to the audience. Unfortunately, Roc was right on the sidelines in front of me. After the performance, Rocco came up to me and said "....Ron, I would have expected that from anybody but you!" That was all he had to say to teach me a lesson.

Thirty seven years and I still remember that. Was he the best brass instructor, no. But the history of The Kingsmen leading up to a National Championship might not have happened without what Rocco brought to the table.

I figure him to be no worse than a lot of other famous figures in drum corps. A lot of stuff went down in the 60s and 70s that would put a lot of people in jail had they happened today in just the same way....and that includes myself.

Hopefully, drum corps has become more accountable these days.

But to punish or single out one guy for committing the same acts I have seen others in drum corps do is particulary narrow-sighted. Again, I can't speak about bingo, parties with underage kids (like this has never happened in the history of drum corps!) and other stuff and don't want to get into one of those whistle-blower rants that some have become famous for, but to call him "one of the sleaziest" or "most sleazy" is to patently ignore and sweep under the carpet a lot of what would be considered "bad stuff" nowdays, where back then it would just be called "Tuesday."

So bash away if you must, but bash with a wider brush, please, to mix metaphors.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

This has just been announced:

Kingsmen Star Corps First Organizational Meeting

Saturday May 7, 2005 - 1pm-4pm

First Christian Church Classroom #7

2930 El Dorado Street

Torrance, Ca. 90503

It seems that the ball will begin rolling soon

Well, as far as saying something "nice" about Rocco, I guess I did and will say more.

In 67 Kingsmen, I had Rocco, Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford as my instructors.  All three at the beginning of their drum corps instruction career.  Fred moved up North to go to school, leaving Fullerton JC.  Pete, of course, went.....they were a package deal.  Along with Gail Royer, they "created" the high calibre of drum corps associated with Santa Clara Vanguard.

Pete taught me how to march Trooper-style, which at the time was the penultimate "scientific" marching style.  Fred, me being a brass player and not a percussionist, still taught me many things to listen for in a percussion ensemble.

Rocco taught me discipline.  I got scolded early in the year for a little "showboating" at the first field show of 67 at San Ysidro.  After the Bill Bailey quartet feature, I took a few extra steps forward and gave the thumbs up to the audience.  Unfortunately, Roc was right on the sidelines in front of me.  After the performance, Rocco came up to me and said "....Ron, I would have expected that from anybody but you!" That was all he had to say to teach me a lesson.

Thirty seven years and I still remember that.  Was he the best brass instructor, no.  But the history of The Kingsmen leading up to a National Championship might not have happened without what Rocco brought to the table.

I figure him to be no worse than a lot of other famous figures in drum corps.  A lot of stuff went down in the 60s and 70s that would put a lot of people in jail had they happened today in just the same way....and that includes myself. 

Hopefully, drum corps has become more accountable these days.

But to punish or single out one guy for committing the same acts I have seen others in drum corps do is particulary narrow-sighted.  Again, I can't speak about bingo, parties with underage kids (like this has never happened in the history of drum corps!) and other stuff and don't want to get into one of those whistle-blower rants that some have become famous for, but to call him "one of the sleaziest" or "most sleazy" is to patently ignore and sweep under the carpet a lot of what would be considered "bad stuff" nowdays, where back then it would just be called "Tuesday."

So bash away if you must, but bash with a wider brush, please, to mix metaphors.

RON HOUSLEY

The thing is, we are not talking about anyone else, we are talking about Rocco. If you want to talk about other bad things that have gone on in drum corps then lets talk about those things., but what does that have to do with Rocco??

Dave Devlin

Kingsmen Snare 1977 1978

The thing is, we are not talking about anyone else, we are talking about Rocco. If you want to talk about other bad things that have gone on in drum corps then lets talk about those things., but what does that have to do with Rocco??

Dave Devlin

Kingsmen Snare 1977 1978

Actually, we are talking about a lot of things..."The Return Of DCI's First Champion" is the title of the thread and sometimes we get a little sidetracked....Ron actually did mention Rocco in his post. I have heard several things about his involvement and am waiting for a post by someone who knows whats going on with the Star Corps...I'm sure you know about the First Meeting in May in Torrance. Have you heard anything else Dave? Is he or is he not going to be invovled? I have always respected both sides of the Rocco debate that was going on long before I joined in the Fall of 76. To me I just want the Kingsmen back as many others do as well. Please share anything you know. It is always great to get alumni input.

Edited by felixh

I would have to report that I have met bigger names in drum corps that I had a lot less respect for.

Ron:

In those "early" days, you didn't by chance happen to meet a certain "Don" did you? To me, HE was Mr. Sleaze!

Rocketman - not naming names

ampssuck

Ron:

In those "early" days, you didn't by chance happen to meet a certain "Don" did you? To me, HE was Mr. Sleaze!

Rocketman - not naming names

ampssuck

Rocco is my friend and whether he is there or not, I will support the Kingsmen returning to the field. How can you all argue about a drum corps returning? It is sickening me to read all this...

Spectemur Agendo