1974 27th Lancers

Something I just noticed while I was looking at scores on CorpsReps and I don't recall this being talked about. If it has, I missed it.

What happened to 2-7 in 1974? You guys went from 7th in '73, to 20th in '74 and back up to 4th in '75. Those are huge jumps. What gives?

According to the 27th Lancer 10th Anniversary yearbook, by 1974 most of the original corps' members (from '67 on) had aged out, so '74 was a rebuilding year. :(

The 1974 show was a completely new show, devised and taught by an (almost) completely new staff to an almost completely new and very young drum corps.

The show also was an experiment in a total show concept abandoning the old "collection of unrelated tunes" kind of show.

It had some very nice moments in it but on the whole was poorly executed.

Visit the web link below. In the film I produced for the corps 35th anniversary, I tried to put the disappointments of 1974 in context with the successes of 1975.

I am working on an Mp3 page featuring some of the lesser known Lancer shows. "74 is one of them. I hope to have it posted in a few weeks.

Edited by drmr27

Thanks, I figured it had to be something like that. Nice rebound in '75, though!

DRMR27 is too eloquent. Since we were marching drumline brothers - and he was my chauffer for many practices - I'll offer an extension of Steve's comments.

It is true - with the exception of Jim Wedge, every other senior staff member was untested in the big leagues. It was - for me at least - a season of frustration beyond belief. The more we practiced, the more we needed to practice even more. We took 4 steps backwards for every step forward and practiced more.

Other eastern corps were hungry - Purple Lancers for one. While our membership believed in the show we had, it was re-written so often that it never gelled. I remember getting the albums after the 74 season, and not remember playing the toms parts I heard. With 74 behind is, there was only one place to go, and that was up !!!!

Don't forget the dreaded "Curse of 7th Place" If you look at the top 12 from the 70's, each corps that placed 7th took a fall the next year. We (Guardsmen) have the dubious honor of breaking the curse of 7th place (7th in '79, 12th in 80 and just barely!) SCV places 7th in '80 and thanks to our curse-breakin', they win the next year!

RS

Don't forget the dreaded "Curse of 7th Place"  If you look at the top 12 from the 70's, each corps that placed 7th took a fall the next year.  We (Guardsmen) have the dubious honor of breaking the curse of 7th place (7th in '79, 12th in 80 and just barely!)  SCV places 7th in '80 and thanks to our curse-breakin', they win the next year!

RS

I recall that #### 7th place curse quite well. Truthfully, I think the Kilties broke it in 78 - but I could be wrong.

Did you march with Dave Brooks in Guardsmen? I taught him in 27th in 83. A great guy.

Cavaliers broke the 7th place curse in 77 (7th in Philly in '76, 8th in Finals in '77). But it came back to bite 'em but GOOD in '78....(well, that, and an unbelievably bad show concept).

Edited by mobrien