Classic Countdown: Educational indeed

I'm 27 and marched in 96 and 97 (exposed to corps since 93). Last night it was awesome to see all the high school students in the theater (we had about 200 to 220 at our screen). For me, it was awesome to see the Kingsmen for the first time ever, that awesome BD 76 show, and the 80 Lancers show. But as I thought about it, most of those students have probably not been exposed to corps in the 90s. So I'm guessing they might've appreciated the corps evolution through the decade I grew up in. I think, no matter what age, we all got something new out of it. It was really neat to see how the mentality and concepts evolved over the past 30 years. There's things those corps from the 70s and 80s do that the modern corps will never be able to match up to. I believe that's why I have such an appreciation for those times.

I'm not much of a PR fan, but I must say I enjoyed watching the 96 show again. I remember joining them on several legs of tour that year and saw that show about 20 times over the summer. But after a 9 year break, it's nice to see it again.

I'm glad VK got voted in as well. I think the students in the crowd should be exposed to corps other than Scouts who didn't push for the judges' approval, but more for the crowd.

All in all, a good blend of shows over the decades. This whole production was wonderfully put together. I liked how they taped the commentary at Gillette Stadium. I also liked the walkthrough of the 2005 season's schedule.

---------------------------------

The Oklahoma City show was real good though. The sound was cranked, disabling the interruption by any conversations in the audience. It was neat to hear the crowd applaud after each show, even great moments during the shows. Again, I enjoyed hearing this during the corps from the 70s and 80s. I think a few events a year in the theater can rally benefit DCI and its fans.

Oh yeah, that was the first time to see SCV 89 in its entirety.  That show was truly remarkable.  It was a perfect blend of all concepts of corps...and the crowd loved every minute of it.

I was driving on tour for a different corps in 1989 and had the opportunity to see Santa Clara live about 15 times that summer......and I ALWAYS made it a point to be in the stadium when SCV performed. I'd often stay for the victory concert too.

Last night re-confirmed a couple of things that I've always believed about SCV and 'Phantom of the Opera'.......first and foremost that I believe there has never been, before or since, a more complete total show package ever presented. When I'm listening to the CD's I prefer the 1988 show BUT on my television or now the big-screen the 1989 show is just the perfect combination of drill, accessable music, power, passion........just everything.

David

Edited by notelvis