27th 1972 performance

.......Back under the Legion and VFW rules in the 50's and 60's, a single tempo range was permissible during a show. Tempo was randomly measured twice during a show. If the corps tempo fell outside a certain range (120bpm-132bpm was the range I think) the corps was penalized.........

Every chance I got to spend time with Richard "Ike" Ianessa (RIP), I'd go thru a series of philosophy questions regarding the design of the 1971 show - the corps that addicted me for life. I wanted to know why Ike, et al, did what they did with the corps. 27th in 1971, was truly bending all the rules.

Ike told me the following. During the design of the 71 show, the staff wanted to changed tempos, and knew of the judging rule. Don Angelica told Ike when he was going to "time" the show, and Ike trusted him. Sure enough, tempo changes were put in, and Angelica timed the show when he said - thus - no penalty when he judged their tempos.

The other rule bender was obviously entering the field only from the end zone line, and leaving from the other end zone. But, the Lancers took some deisgn advantages more from what the rules "didn't say" - like playing on the side line, but marching around and entering from the end zone.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we did have that discussion once about the lack of work most guards did in concert, but kudos to 27th's six trick flags....they were doing stuff most guards hadn't even thought about.

I was lucky to see the '94 Lancers Alumni in person. I didn't even know they were performing, BOY was I surprised! I couldn't help from crying at the end of Danny Boy! I was so glad to see them after all those years of non existance!

To bad no reprisal at Foxboro of the 27th Lancers Alumni...

Reprisal? Oh oh... Did I say the wrong thing again? ;{

I hope the word you were looking for Scott was "reprise"

And Legend gets it exactly right!

27 had a history of interpreting rules by what they "didn't" say rather than what was spelled out. The corps' love/hate relationship with rulebooks goes back to that pivotal incident with the Reveries at the 1966 VFW nationals.

And did I really drive you to rehearsal that many times, Legend?? Good thing you lived in Roslindale then (aka God's neighborhood) and not in Vacationland.

Well back in 94, it took us about a year to year and a half to put that together. We're all ten years older now which means DCI needed to ask us about 5 years ago to put it back together again for Foxboro this year (lol).

Reprisal? Oh oh... Did I say the wrong thing again? ;{

I hope the word you were looking for Scott was "reprise"

And Legend gets it exactly right!

27 had a history of interpreting rules by what they "didn't" say rather than what was spelled out.  The corps' love/hate relationship with rulebooks goes back to that pivotal incident with the Reveries at the 1966 VFW nationals.

And did I really drive you to rehearsal that many times, Legend?? Good thing you lived in Roslindale then (aka God's neighborhood) and not in Vacationland.

:wub: OOps........ after further review....... reprise.......yup thats right....... OOps.... :wub:

• 2 months later...

The reading of the 1972 Finals scores is available on the xKingsmen.com website. Due to a heavy rain there was no retreat after finals that year, so the PA announcer just read off the scores. Evidently Ken Kobold or someone had a tape deck running and recorded the scores as they were read off. No one in the Kingsmen got to hear the corps name read as having won - they were all in the buses changing clothes. Keith played this audio clip at our June reunion - it was a rather emotional moment for the numerous 1972 alumni who were present. Give it a listen!

The reading of the 1972 Finals scores is available on the xKingsmen.com website. Due to a heavy rain there was no retreat after finals that year, so the PA announcer just read off the scores.

Actually the retreat had started and all 12 corps had just made it onto the field when the skies opened up. At that point the retreat melted faster than the wicked witch of the west and almost every corps had run off the field by the time the scores were half done.

The Lancers were probably the last corps to leave, we didn't run...we marched off. I think my uniform finally dried out last week. A wet kilt smells amazingly like a wet dog.

Well back in 94, it took us about a year to year and a half to put that together.  We're all ten years older now which means DCI needed to ask us about 5 years ago to put it back together again for Foxboro this year (lol).

As nice as it would be to have a "reprise" of '94, I don't see how it could have happened. Like I said to Peggy Twiggs at Darlene's wake "When the #($#@ did we get so OLD?" It was definitely a "once in a lifetime" event. I couldn't imagine going through the rehearsals in 90+ degree temperatures, marching parades (I almost died in Bristol, RI!!) I watch the video of the '94 performance all the time and with great pride and think of that night as one of the greatest of my life, but absolutely, NEVER again! (LOL)