• Jim Jones
    • George Hopkins
    • Adolph DeGrawe
    • Others

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gail, may have personally talked to every kid, in every corp. He cared and remembered things that were discussed years before. A truely great and fun man that engineered a world class organization. He would be my second choice. ( RIP ) I hope that when this bullet train of life that we are all on stops at my stop. That I see Gail when I get off. because I know I will have to be in a good place.

I wish this was one of those vote as many times as you want things. So I could wake up and vote for George every morning. I know the other candidates .. all great leaders and people.

But George, he just did it right, all of it. He really cared for all his kids. 1000's of them. I have never seen a home so open, to so many. He and his family, Patsy and the kids were there all the time for everybody. His examples of Sacrifice, focus, trust, dependabillity, teamwork, discipline, and love, eventually changed this punk kid from Rhode Island. I never felt like I was away from home when I was with George. If you did something wrong you knew about it, if you did something right you knew too. Some of the stuff he had to endure because of this extended family qualifies him for sainthood. George B #1

Word. On both Mr. Royer and George. (Tear in eye)

Beautifully worded, Eddie. How many "punk" kids had their lives changed by these two great men?

Mr. Royer dragged me, in my 27th uniform, to a critique in 1977 because I had been discussing a portion of SCV's show with him in the parking lot. He was just wandering around, and I told him how much I enjoyed a certain passage of music, particularly what the mellophones were doing. He started walking, arm around my shoulders, and the next thing you know I'm on the field in the middle of critique. 27th's staff, needless to say, gave me quite the dirty look. I was able to slink away before I was asked to voice my opinion. A couple of years later, Mr. Royer saw me in a critique when I was teaching Avant Garde. He walked over and asked me when we were going to sit down and discuss the Gayne Ballet!!!! How many thousands of conversations had he taken part in between???

George B. took a bunch of local kids, many of whom might have ended up in jail, or worse, and turned them into his 'bugle band'. "This is not a democracy! This is a dictatorship!" And that was a good thing! It is evident from the alumni on this thread that he turned us into a bunch of gentlemen and ladies (well, most of the time), who show respect for the activity. I think there are seven hall of fame members who were associated with 27th in a big way for many years. I'd like to know if that is a record for one corps. Anybody ever count??

Word. On both Mr. Royer and George. (Tear in eye)

Beautifully worded, Eddie. How many "punk" kids had their lives changed by these two great men?

Mr. Royer dragged me, in my 27th uniform, to a critique in 1977 because I had been discussing a portion of SCV's show with him in the parking lot. He was just wandering around, and I told him how much I enjoyed a certain passage of music, particularly what the mellophones were doing. He started walking, arm around my shoulders, and the next thing you know I'm on the field in the middle of critique. 27th's staff, needless to say, gave me quite the dirty look. I was able to slink away before I was asked to voice my opinion. A couple of years later, Mr. Royer saw me in a critique when I was teaching Avant Garde. He walked over and asked me when we were going to sit down and discuss the Gayne Ballet!!!! How many thousands of conversations had he taken part in between???

George B. took a bunch of local kids, many of whom might have ended up in jail, or worse, and turned them into his 'bugle band'. "This is not a democracy! This is a dictatorship!" And that was a good thing! It is evident from the alumni on this thread that he turned us into a bunch of gentlemen and ladies (well, most of the time), who show respect for the activity. I think there are seven hall of fame members who were associated with 27th in a big way for many years. I'd like to know if that is a record for one corps. Anybody ever count??

Yes Jimmy, it is true, there are more "27th Lancers", in the DCI Hall of fame who either marched or taught or started their drum corps career with the 27th Lancers. George B. told me himself, something he is proud of as one of the founders of DCI.

That's a cool story about you and Mr. Royer. As a matter of fact he and George B. were very close (as I'm sure you know), (RIP) and he speaks very fondly of him all the time when I see him. He treasures his drum corps friends, that's for sure. :)

Yes Jimmy, it is true, there are more "27th Lancers", in the DCI Hall of fame who either marched or taught or started their drum corps career with the 27th Lancers. George B. told me himself, something he is proud of as one of the founders of DCI.

That's a cool story about you and Mr. Royer. As a matter of fact he and George B. were very close (as I'm sure you know), (RIP) and he speaks very fondly of him all the time when I see him. He treasures his drum corps friends, that's for sure. :)

I wonder how we go about getting Patsie nominated? She truly deserves to be in the HOF as well.

I wonder how we go about getting Patsie nominated? She truly deserves to be in the HOF as well.

I tried to do that as a surprise for George B. a couple of years ago, I mean I had all kinds of support/letters, even from Don Warren and I got scolded by George B.

I can see his point why, he knew I meant well but, I should've gone to him since he's on the committee. But my intentions were good. :angel: The whole thing was I was hoping she'd get the nomination and he'd be pleasantly surprised, a bunch of Lancers in the Hall of Fame submitted letters too. I got scolded by Dr. Dave too for having too many letters..lol. I just couldn't win for losing on that one. I can laugh at myself now about it though.

There is a way to do it on DCI.org, but if you want to do it, you better ask George B. first so he can be aware of it. :P

Here is the one I tried to get her on..

HOF

Edited by Lancerlady

I tried to do that as a surprise for George B. a couple of years ago, I mean I had all kinds of support/letters, even from Don Warren and I got scolded by George B.

I can see his point why, he knew I meant well but, I should've gone to him since he's on the committee. But my intentions were good. :angel: The whole thing was I was hoping she'd get the nomination and he'd be pleasantly surprised, a bunch of Lancers in the Hall of Fame submitted letters too. I got scolded by Dr. Dave too for having too many letters..lol. I just couldn't win for losing on that one. I can laugh at myself now about it though.

There is a way to do it on DCI.org, but if you want to do it, you better ask George B. first so he can be aware of it. :P

Here is the one I tried to get her on..

HOF

Thanks for the warning! Scolded by George B.??? That's like being tapped on the wrist by Hulk Hogan!! :sshh:

Thanks for the warning! Scolded by George B.??? That's like being tapped on the wrist by Hulk Hogan!! :sshh:

You know what to say. I felt like a High school girl getting a paddling (when they did that). I used to wonder why some even today are still fearful of him! But when you get a scolding by George B..... :P you know why!