• Jerry Seawright
    • Freddy Martin
    • George Bonfiglio
    • Scott Stewart
    • Jim Jones
    • George Hopkins
    • Adolph DeGrawe
    • Others

As every one has their favorite "director", there was one fellow in Canada who did more for drum corps in Canada than probaby anybody realizes. His name was

John Robins. You'll notice I say "WAS". John Robins died in February as a result of heart problems.

John started his career in drum corps in 1955 and continued until his death. He had a hand in EVERY drum corps in the Kitchener-Waterloo area for over forty-five years. His unselfish dedication to the drum corps community in Canada is unsurpassed. He never married and his kids were the kids in the corps.

His giant like stature and gruffy exterior was John trade mark but his sense of humor and loyalty more than made up for any short fallings he may have had.

To put John in the same light as Gayle Royer, Jerry Seawright, Jim Jones and George Bonfiglio is only right. His caring for the kids in the corps is only matched by these gentlemen.

R.I.P. John, you've earned it. :angel:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea about Brass Roots and I'd also add that George B. didn't just mortgage his house once.  He did it several times to save the corps, at his own families peril.

He and others also had to give up shows 2 miles away to stick with the DCI plan.  Shows that each corps would surely have won or placed.  So they also gave up prize monies as well.  They did mention a little of this in Brass Roots, and they were right when they said he wouldn't have had to move the buses, the corps members could have driven to Manning Bowl, won the show, then driven home.

Excellent points! I have tremendous respect for the sacrafices made by so many of the principles involved in the formation of DCI. The kids in the corps included. I'm sure you would have liked a drive across town to pick up a first place nationals win! As I told a young friend the other day, in those first few years who was even sure this thing would last? Thank God those founders put trust in each other and hung in there. It really is an incredible story.

Tell your Dad and Mom I said hi.  Also how is Sue doing?

Kevin Kernen

Sue is the proud momma of two very energetic boys.

My son is the first of the "third" generation to march corps. He was contracted by Revolution and plays soprano like his uncle and mom did for the Kingsmen.

Edited by kansasDC

Sue is the proud momma of two very energetic boys.

My son is the first of the "third" generation to march corps.  He was contracted by Revolution and plays soprano like his uncle and mom did for the Kingsmen.

That is so cool. Sue used to stay at our house from time to time when she marched with us. My Dad drove bus (along with your Dad) and my Mom helped out with uniforms and things like that. I think I was teaching then.

Tell the family I said hi.

I voted for Gail, well 'cause I knew him, but my hat goes off to the gentlemen of the Combine West and to all of the Directors who gave their time, monies and love to this wonderful sport that brings us here almost every night.

And Don Pescone, the first director of DCI.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Don Porter from the Kingsmen. From what I know of Kingsmen history he was one of the few who understood the value of community involvement over pure competition. Gave up his job over it and the corps soon folded. If Porter had won that battle, DCI would probably be very different today.

Other honorable mentions should also go to Dave Kampshroer who probably did more with less than any (no bingo) and Steve Rondinaro who almost made finals with the Squires.

As much as I respected Gail Royer, and how much I liked Jack Bevins, I would have to agree with Cliff. Don Porter was a CLASS ACT!!! I worked with him for several years as announcer for the guard circuit out here in southern Cal and he was the T & P judge. He and I talked and talked, and he was a great man. VERY well respected out here.

Love him or hate him, Hopkins won a DCI title in his very first year as corps director. I don't know if that has ever been done before or since.

As every one has their favorite "director", there was one fellow in Canada who did more for drum corps in Canada than probaby anybody realizes. His name was

John Robins. You'll notice I say "WAS". John Robins died in February as a result of heart problems.

John started his career in drum corps in 1955 and continued until his death. He had a hand in EVERY drum corps in the Kitchener-Waterloo area for over forty-five years. His unselfish dedication to the drum corps community in Canada is unsurpassed. He never married and his kids were the kids in the corps.

His giant like stature and gruffy exterior was John trade mark but his sense of humor and loyalty more than made up for any short fallings he may have had.

To put John in the same light as Gayle Royer, Jerry Seawright, Jim Jones and George Bonfiglio is only right. His caring for the kids in the corps is only matched by these gentlemen.

R.I.P. John, you've earned it.    :angel:

You and I have spoken about about John away from these boards and in P.M's but for the record, Having met him "back in the day" and seeing him and all the K.W. corps on a regular basis, I'll second your vote!

The man ate,breathed,and slept drum corps! The welfare of "His Kids" was the most important thing to him.

This is a man alot of the people here have probably never heard of, but to anyone who met him embodied the true spirit of drum corps.

He will be sorely missed!!

:angel: