The DCI Yearlys: 1983

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that picture of O.P. Rob. That made my day. He was one of my favourite instructors too.

Sam

Made my day as well. One of the, if not "the" most handsome faces to ever wear the uniform. :worthy::worthy: Sometime, it almost hurt to look at his face!

Total package.....9.3 out of 10. I haven't laid eyes on him in maybe 2 or 3 years, but back in the 70s' - oh yea! :P

But, as some know I prefer dark hair, dark eyes. :angry: That's just to keep it straight re: Gaspar.

LOL!  O.P.  Ony of my favorite instructors.  He was a huge hit in the Blue Devils.

opii.jpg

John Oppedisano<sp> was a tremendous instructor with us in 1981. I learned quite a bit from him back then. I remember he used to have an ongoing wager with someone on 27th's marching staff over who would have a visual score each night (at least that's what he told us...).

Almost a month after the end of the season, we had to march in the American Legion State Convention Paradde in Wildwood, NJ. Oppie and Danny McBride show up with long hair and full beards....they had obviously been indulging in their favorite adult beverage as well. Somehow, somewhere they got the notion to each put on a uniform and march the parade with us...it was a panic! :worthy:

I remember he used to have an ongoing wager with someone on 27th's marching staff over who would have a visual score each night (at least that's what he told us...).

O.P. was known for making wagers.

He was a riot and got along great with the members of our corps. I have another picture of O.P. pitching a ball to Dave Gibbs at one of our inpromptu baseball games while waiting for the buses to be loaded. I'll have to dig that out for posting.

I've got another one of Sam (Ambassador above a couple of replies) playing his french horn warming up for DCI East in 1985. Pretty cool pix, too.

quote=LancerFi,May 16 2005, 12:41 PM]Made my day as well.  One of the, if not "the" most handsome faces to ever wear the uniform.  :worthy:   :worthy:  Sometime, it almost hurt to look at his face!

Total package.....9.3 out of 10.  I haven't laid eyes on him in maybe 2 or 3 years, but back in the 70s' - oh yea!   :P   

But, as some know I prefer dark hair, dark eyes.  :angry:  That's just to keep it straight re: Gaspar.

You didn't see him last year at finals? He was running around all over the place, with that young lady who made the DCI Hall of Fame. He was also at the 35th anniversary reunion...

35th12.jpg

Here he is with Jim Wedge and others.. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

I believe the context of Robert's point was not that they didn't care, but that why would BD bother taunting a corps that far out of their competetive picture.

Yup, that was exactly my take on it.

At this point (sorry to Robert for the crack)  I think we all realize something was indeed wrong with the judging in this year. 

Lets move on to some of those fantastic shows!  Phantom really made me a big fan this year, with the churchbells from their town at finals in the 1812 overture.  I was really moved by them... Even the uniforms seemed to match what they were doing on the field.

And I've never lost my adoration of scv.

Thanks for the comp!! :)

Nope, I don't need too.  Casper's show was traditionally not a "DCI" sanctioned show.  So....who knows what the scoring was.  I don't really care. 

Wasn't Casper the infamous "applause meter"?

I believe BD lost many times to that meter.