St. Kevin's loses the 1960 VFW

For years the St. Kevin's clan claimed they had lost the 1960 VFW on an out of bound 2 point pentalty. We now know that kevin's lost the National Championship by slightly more than 2 points and came in third behind Sac and Chicago.

I have never quite been able to get the true story of what happend that night in Briggs Stadium in Detroit. It is my understanding Kevin's won the prelims (5-6 minutes) in what had to be a huge upset and seemed poised to win that night. I'm curious as to what caused the out of bounds violation. One story is that DM Wally Curtiss incorrectly paced off the distance from the sideline and the corps was incorrectly placed on the starting line which caused the violation later in the performance. Another theory had an errant color guard member inadvertantly going past the back sideline in a dumb move.

Other stories persist claiming that marching members having seen the violation were knocked off stride and ruined what was a magnificant performance and that St. Kevin's would have won easily had it not happend.

Ok, ok, I know, it was 45 years ago but before everybody out there dies does anyone have the "real story" on what happend? Sorry to bore you DCI folks.

For years the St. Kevin's clan claimed they had lost the 1960 VFW on an out of bound 2 point pentalty.  We now know that kevin's lost the National Championship by slightly more than 2 points and came in third behind Sac and Chicago.

I have never quite been able to get the true story of what happend that night in Briggs Stadium in Detroit.  It is my understanding Kevin's won the prelims (5-6 minutes) in what had to be a huge upset and seemed poised to win that night.  I'm curious as to what caused the out of bounds violation.  One story is that DM Wally Curtiss incorrectly paced off the distance from the sideline and the corps was incorrectly placed on the starting line which caused the violation later in the performance.  Another theory had an errant color guard member inadvertantly going past the back sideline in a dumb move. 

Other stories persist claiming that marching members having seen the violation were knocked off stride and ruined what was a magnificant performance and that St. Kevin's would have won easily had it not happend.

Ok, ok, I know, it was 45 years ago but before everybody out there dies does anyone have the "real story" on what happend?  Sorry to bore you DCI folks.

i will get back to you on the real story. my dad was there. he was a tenor drummer. he used to relate the story to us all the time. unfortunately he passed away a few years back but i have connections with many of the skek people who were there. from what i can recall it was one person who stepped over the line not once but twice during the same song. as my mother remembers it, the corps was taken aback by what they had just seen and lost concentration. thus, the extra tenths in execution. although they did take top drums. if i can get a hold of one of the skek people who were there i will relay the story.

i will get back to you on the real story.  my dad was there.  he was a tenor drummer.  he used to relate the story to us all the time.  unfortunately he passed away a few years back but i have connections with many of the skek people who were there.  from what i can recall it was one person who stepped over the line not once but twice during the same song.  as my mother remembers it, the corps was taken aback by what they had just seen and lost concentration.  thus, the extra tenths in execution.  although they did take top drums.  if i can get a hold of one of the skek people who were there i will relay the story.

What was your Dad's name?

For years the St. Kevin's clan claimed they had lost the 1960 VFW on an out of bound 2 point pentalty.  We now know that kevin's lost the National Championship by slightly more than 2 points and came in third behind Sac and Chicago.

I have never quite been able to get the true story of what happend that night in Briggs Stadium in Detroit.  It is my understanding Kevin's won the prelims (5-6 minutes) in what had to be a huge upset and seemed poised to win that night.  I'm curious as to what caused the out of bounds violation.  One story is that DM Wally Curtiss incorrectly paced off the distance from the sideline and the corps was incorrectly placed on the starting line which caused the violation later in the performance.  Another theory had an errant color guard member inadvertantly going past the back sideline in a dumb move. 

Ok, ok, I know, it was 45 years ago but before everybody out there dies does anyone have the "real story" on what happend?  Sorry to bore you DCI folks.

"SKEK at 1960 VFW":

The incorrectly paced off starting line opening "Off the Line" set led to the sideline violation and the penalty. It is unclear as to "who" paced it off.

As for a loss of concentration, drill errors, it would be best if a St Kevins member who was THERE commented.

Elphaba

"SKEK at 1960 VFW":

The incorrectly paced off starting line opening "Off the Line" set led to the sideline violation and the penalty.  It is unclear as to "who" paced it off.

As for a loss of concentration, drill errors, it would be best if a St Kevins member who was THERE commented.

Elphaba

which is exactly what i'm in the process of doing right now. read the whole post before you react. i have already contacted someone who was THERE. and once he responds back i will be able to post the correct information. if in the mean time someone else who was there responds, that's great.

If you have ever heard the Fleetwood recording of SKEK from the 1960 VFW, you have evidence. In the drum solo following SKEK's penultimate song, "This Nearly Was Mine (ironic!!) you can hear someone cheer as the horn player steps out of bounds. Seconds later the quality of the horn line playing in SKEK's final song is clearly severely diminished. You can also note that Wally Curtis, the DM, did not conduct the Corps' final fanfare. They left without playing it. Ferb27, your father was my drum instructor from 1960 - 1962. He was a great guy. After the VFW, Jim talked about the loss. He said that everyone in the horn line saw the out of bounds, and that accounts for the disasterous performance of "All the Things You Are", the final number. However, the drum line didn't see it and continued to execute. Hence the top drums trophy. Also, despite the collapse at the end, St. Kevins won GE, as well. Without the penalty, they would have been only 0.1 behind Blessed Sac, the victor. This was clearly one of drum corps' greatest tragedies, and the best opportunty for a Boston corps to win was also lost. I'm still disappointed. I must also note that St. Kevins in 1960 was a magical corps. They were one of the most exciting and emotionally impacting units ever to hit the field. In 45 years of viewing dc, no other corps has had quite the impact on me that SKEK had.

John

If you have ever heard the Fleetwood recording of SKEK from the 1960 VFW, you have evidence.  In the drum solo following SKEK's penultimate song, "This Nearly Was Mine (ironic!!) you can hear someone cheer as the horn player steps out of bounds.  Seconds later the quality of the horn line playing in SKEK's final song is clearly severely diminished.  You can also note that Wally Curtis, the DM, did not conduct the Corps' final fanfare.  They left without playing it.  Ferb27, your father was my drum  instructor from 1960 - 1962.  He was a great guy.  After the VFW, Jim talked about the loss. He said that everyone in the horn line saw the out of bounds, and that accounts for the disasterous performance of "All the Things You Are", the final number.  However, the drum line didn't see it and continued to execute.  Hence the top drums trophy.  Also, despite the collapse at the end, St. Kevins won GE, as well.  Without the penalty, they would have been only 0.1 behind Blessed Sac, the victor.  This was clearly one of drum corps' greatest tragedies, and the best opportunty for a Boston corps to win was also lost.  I'm still disappointed.  I must also note that St. Kevins in 1960 was a magical corps.  They were one of the most exciting and emotionally impacting units ever to hit the field.  In 45 years of viewing dc, no other corps has had quite the impact on me that SKEK had. 

John

Great post and thanks for the info. It was a tragedy and let us not forget another Boston tragedy being the 1967 Crusaders losing the AL Nationals at Fenway Park. They dominated the season, crushed everyone in the prelims and then drew out of a hat and had to go on first for the second year in a row. Chicago, going on last won beating Boston the only time that season.

Great topic!

Great Posts!

Great History!!!

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

:huh::blink::huh:

From my sig it's obvious that I wasn't there but I grew up listening to my Dad's Fleetwoods and old 78's

Even in my marching day I would mention one of these corps and my contemporaries would look at me with that :huh: expression.

I LOVE Drum Corps History!

Glad to see some folks out there keeping it alive!!! :)

Edited by Bob Brady

If you have ever heard the Fleetwood recording of SKEK from the 1960 VFW, you have evidence.  In the drum solo following SKEK's penultimate song, "This Nearly Was Mine (ironic!!) you can hear someone cheer as the horn player steps out of bounds.  Seconds later the quality of the horn line playing in SKEK's final song is clearly severely diminished.  You can also note that Wally Curtis, the DM, did not conduct the Corps' final fanfare.  They left without playing it.  Ferb27, your father was my drum  instructor from 1960 - 1962.  He was a great guy.  After the VFW, Jim talked about the loss. He said that everyone in the horn line saw the out of bounds, and that accounts for the disasterous performance of "All the Things You Are", the final number.  However, the drum line didn't see it and continued to execute.  Hence the top drums trophy.  Also, despite the collapse at the end, St. Kevins won GE, as well.  Without the penalty, they would have been only 0.1 behind Blessed Sac, the victor.  This was clearly one of drum corps' greatest tragedies, and the best opportunty for a Boston corps to win was also lost.  I'm still disappointed.  I must also note that St. Kevins in 1960 was a magical corps.  They were one of the most exciting and emotionally impacting units ever to hit the field.  In 45 years of viewing dc, no other corps has had quite the impact on me that SKEK had. 

John

Funny, 20 years later in Birmingham I was marching with the 27th Lancers. My dad was there on the field as we came off after retreat. I asked him if he had a lifesaver. I can't even imagine what was going through his mind when we were announced in second by .25. I'm sure there was a point where 1960 rushed through his head. I do remember many times growing up when he played that album and I'd see a tear coming down his face when that infamous moment came up.