Corps Member Then and Now

I was wondering if people from corps still around or now defunct could tell us what the standard the corps went by to become a full flegded Alumnus of your corps?

I understood ours in the earlier years to be 2 or more consecutive years as you aged out. Or marching 2 then coming back for your age out year an alum - (I think it became that)

Marching 1 year (your age out year) you were an Accociate Alum.

Our organization gave plaques and alumni status at banquets and were then considered alumni. People that lived the corps, breathed the corps, just never wore a uniform.

I believe anyone that marched a season, at least was a member in January, and went thru to finals or whatever the end of the season show was should have alumni status. If your broke your leg the day of finals, and couldn't take the field, still an alum.

When it was local people, it was easy to march 8 years with one corps. Or a junior corps for 4 then move to a Division I and go another 4. But now with the nature of moving and traveling, is it different?

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the plaque with my starburst from my hat and I have my hat too. :)

I marched 3 years and aged out my 3rd so I got that plaque of alumni status at the banquet. My husband was only able to march one but George B. says he's an alumni just as much as anyone else with or without a plaque, so I guess he agrees with you, in a way. :)

I like the idea of the alumni status plaque for special volunteers etc..like Ms. Mae Zingali and Ms. Lucy Patti and the bus drivers etc...:).

In Memphis Blues I can't remember but I am considered an alumnus too...I guess cause I was there till the end.

They probably don't have as much of that these days with all the corps hoppers out there, I don't know if it's as important to some these days...I know there are some who are loyal...but...I'm interested to find out as well. Good topic starter Nancy! :)

When I marched you were considered a vet after one year. Even if you aged out the first year you marched, you were still given a Crossmen plaque. Also first year members were given the letter "C" at the end of the year banquet, to put on their member jackets. I think they still do this....I'm not sure. I know they did a few years ago.

I think someone who may be older and wiser (with an emphasis on OLDER) may be able to comment on this from VK's perspective--RIGHT CHARLIE???? He's probably out teaching Impulse right now--but I'll send him to this thread.

But if I recall, with VK, you were a vet after a full season of rehearsing and competing.

Are there benefits to being a "full fledged alum"? If there's cake, sign me up! But, I've never been with a corps that had any need for official distinctions. Seems to me if you marched and gave it your best for the unit, you're an alum.

I can't remember if Oakland had a hard and fast rule on this. I marched three years, and I'm part of the alumni group, so I know I qualify. Back then, I'm pretty sure you had to complete as least one full season to be considered an alumnus, but whether it was for more than one year, I don't know. I'm looking at the DOCA application form, and it doesn't give a minimum number of years, just asks what years you marched De La Salle and/or Oakland.

John or Sue, do you remember? :blink:

Edited by byline

I have the plaque with my starburst from my hat and I have my hat too. :)

Yeah, mine also has "my starburst" on it, however I never wore a starburst, busbys don't have them.....go figure ha? But it was a nice thought that it was our own starburst. Hey, when you're a kid you're really into it what can I say. And it was a nice idea. I'm sad I never got to wear the regular uniform that both of my sisters wore, and never even tried on an aussie which is blasphemous!

The stars they used in the early years were full heavy metal painted black with the 2-7. The later years (maybe the last 2) they were plastic. You can see the differences in pictures. Also the piece for the cord of the hat used to be metal and worn at the lip had a 2-7 on it, it wasn't like that later on....either way, it's a beautiful plaque.

So mine would be much different I believe than someone who aged out later, unless they kept those heavy screw in jobs for all of the plagues!

Spirit then and now, you march a year you're alumni status is set... lucky for me. The only distinction made is years since ageout. The kids (current marching members) call us Geezers, but we have Uber-Geezers (reserved for a couple of folks that marched Spirit's inaugural rear, 77, as rookouts), Geezers, and Punk-### Geezers (for the recent ageouts).

On the other hand, if we let everyone in that claimed they marched Spirit 80, we'd have to have our alumni gatherings at Turner Field.

I can't remember if Oakland had a hard and fast rule on this. I marched three years, and I'm part of the alumni group, so I know I qualify. Back then, I'm pretty sure you had to complete as least one full season to be considered an alumnus, but whether it was for more than one year, I don't know. I'm looking at the DOCA application form, and it doesn't give a minimum number of years, just asks what years you marched De La Salle and/or Oakland.

John or Sue, do you remember? :blink:

Nope, all I know if you paid your dues, literally, as in marching, and monetarally, you are alumni. Thanks for reminding me... my dues are due. b**bs

Nope, all I know if you paid your dues, literally, as in marching, and monetarally, you are alumni. Thanks for reminding me... my dues are due. b**bs

Have you got that neat T-shirt yet? I have mine, and will wear it proudly at the Evansville show. No doubt in my mind that I'll be one of a kind there! :P