Cleaning/polishing cymbals

pito'evil

So I'm about to embark on a project of cleaning and shining up about 20 or or suspended cymbals. With that many plates, I'd rather not go the brasso route and have dirty polishing cloths up to my ears. Back in high school, I vaguely remember this product called Nevr-Dull. If I remember it worked pretty well. I was wondering if anyone here has used it to buff up their plates and can you tell me how it compares to brasso.

Thanks.

TheCan.gif

VS.

brasso.jpg

So I'm about to embark on a project of cleaning and shining up about 20 or or suspended cymbals.

Hey Calvin,

Will you clean our cymbals too, while you're at it. Hey, you're already doing 20, what's another 8? :P

ps. We made cleaning the entire line's cyms a punishment for being late -- you and Andrew should have a cymbal cleaning party. b**bs

I hate Brasso....though the fumes made for a very nice high :blink:

I wish I could remember the name of the stuff we used to use. I know you could only buy it at truck stops (at the time....this was back in 1991). I'm gonna have to contact my Bluecoats cymbal brother, Matt, and find this out.....

Stephanie

Sex Cymbal 1988-1992

Was it BAR KEEPERS FRIEND?

That stuff is great. ZUD is also a good product. Good Luck

• 3 months later...

Well you can use ZUD or BKF if you don't really care about scratching your cyms and taking most of the tone out. But if you care what they sound like after you're done cleaning, go ahead and use the new Zildjian liquid cleaner. Yeah, your going to have some rags, but that is true no matter what. If you are going to clean 20 cymbals, don't ruin $10,000+ worth of instruments by destroying them with abrazive metal cleaners like ZUD. BKF is a little better, but I would only use that if they cmys are already in prertty bad shape sound wise.

our cymbal line found out that Goldbond actually works pretty well too...

Nevrdull is fast but it also removes a little metal. Can still get it at target and some hardware stores. Not something you want to use often but it's great in a pinch. I never use Brasso cuz it leaves a bunch of sludge in the grooves, and it doesn't work for beans.

Edited by Eggbert

• 2 weeks later...