Other views/opinions on Bass Tuning

rhythmaniacs

I was just wondering after reading and learning about some different DCI/DCA bass line tuning techniques, what else is there? I'm just trying to compile the best ideas and use them all together. Let's hear what there is to say...

well, the way i was taught to tune them was by Phil Vallejo (SCV bassline 1996-99 and their bass tech in 2000-2001 i believe; now, percussion caption head Fever Drum and Bugle Corps 2004-?).

he taught me to have major third inteverals between the top three "m-i-c-k-e-y m-o-u-s-e; mickey mouse, mickey mouse" and a perfect 4th between the bottom three "here comes the bride"

Edited by Gbassman5

well, the way i was taught to tune them was by Phil Vallejo (SCV bassline 1996-99 and their bass tech in 2000-2001 i believe; now, percussion caption head Fever Drum and Bugle Corps 2004-?).

he taught me to have major third inteverals between the top three "m-i-c-k-e-y m-o-u-s-e; mickey mouse, mickey mouse" and a perfect 4th between the bottom three "here comes the bride"

Thanks!

That is an interesting way to tune...never heard that one before. I have just been thinking about everything I've read about tuning to specific intervals through not tuning to specific intervals, M3 or m3 or P4 and P5 and why these intervals work and some do not. That why this activity is great because everyone has such great ideas and branches off with new sub ideas. Keep sending new info!!

I typically do 1-m3-2-m3-m3-3-p4-4-p5-5

but tha5t was on bigger drums, ill change it up since we're getting newer ones. Either way, ill use the P5 between 4 and 5 to get that definitive THUMP

I typically do 1-m3-2-m3-m3-3-p4-4-p5-5

but tha5t was on bigger drums, ill change it up since we're getting newer ones.  Either way, ill use the P5 between 4 and 5 to get that definitive THUMP

I pretty much follow the interval structure here.

http://www.pearldrum.com/education/perclib/casella.html

Some times I'll only go a perfect 4th between the 4 and 5 drums. I don't do the muffling the way the article states though. I like to use a complete ring of foam around the edge of each head. I still place all of the foam on the outside of the head.

• 2 weeks later...
I pretty much follow the interval structure here.

http://www.pearldrum.com/education/perclib/casella.html

Some times I'll only go a perfect 4th between the 4 and 5 drums. I don't do the muffling the way the article states though. I like to use a complete ring of foam around the edge of each head. I still place all of the foam on the outside of the head.

Try to use Evans heads. They stay in tune longer and you can play with the amount of muffling for different size drums. I muffle all of the bigger drums, then use less for the 16 and 20. If the line is a bit dirty, then muffle less, because the ring will cover up many sins. If you can't get Evans, then try glueing the muffling to the drum. Leave about a quarter inch above the bearing edge and use a spray adhevise. Spray the shell and the foam so it sticks. I have NEVER had any fall off inside the drum. This saves much time when you change heads. With regard to tuning. Start with the bottom drum then go up a 5th, then a 4th, then at least a 3rd or even a 4th, then the same for the top drum. If you keep the intervals wide, you'll get good definition between the drums.

I have heard people say they prefer the foam on the inside and I understand how easy it can be to use, I just like the look of a full ring of foam around the head. I know its sort of weird but its basically the same reason why people play traditional grip, just because they like the look of it.

I can't remember the brand right off the top of my head but I believe its the Scotch 77 spray adhesive works wonders.

• 1 month later...

I have recently heard that the cavies use the 'power chord' tuning. Please quote me if I am incorrect. There is a P5 between ALL of the drums?! If so, wouldn't the top be tweeked super high and bottom extremely low. They don't sound like that on the field. Also, what are the advantages or disadvantages to this tuning type?

:worthy:

I've had great success with the harmonic overtone series. Starts with an octave (I don't use) then... #5 p5th #4 p4th #3 M3 #2 m3 #1

Easy to do 4 3 2 1 as you just play "taps" or any standard bugle call. Nice chord when played in unison. Then drop #5 a perfect 5th off of #4. Or start with #5 to get the thump you like and move up from there.

I always put foam all the way around, but have never been happy with the sound from the stands. Remo heads. Wish I was still teaching so I could experiement some.