King K-90 Contra's

LowBrassman

Where have all of the old King K-90 Contra's gone? These were truely great instruments in a time when G bugles were less than wonderful from a craftsmanship standpoint.

If you happen to be fortunate enough to own or play one let us hear from you.

All Hail SAK :worthy:

Edited by LowBrassman

They're still out there, along with other King G brass

Dream's got some K-90s, 1 K-80 euph (although it;s not on the field), some K-70 baris, and mellos (K-30?). There's also a K-20 sop....I;'ve got one as well, but they got me playing a 3 valve DEG in the show (ick...I want my K-20!)

I just sold four K-90s (and a K70, K60, K50, K40, K20).

One in New York, one in Houston and one (soon to be two) in Jackson.

There are still a few of the big K-90's out there, and 1 sitting in the corner of my livingroom (next to 3 sops, a frenchie, 2 baris and an Olds v/r contra). Kinda makes you drool, doesn't it? LOL

Anyways, I first got to try a K-90 back in '81 when I was with Crossmen. We were sharing a school with Devils in Lansdale, PA and they had their new K-90's. I've wanted one ever since that day.

I THOUGHT that was going to get one in the fall of that year. I'd just graduated HS, and was going to audition for the Commandant's Own (USMC D&BC). The K-90's, aside from being the best, were also the cheapest: $2,500 w/case in 1981. I'd talked to King's sales VP and made special arrangements to buy one (they didn't sell to individuals), and my well off father PROMISED to send off a cashiers check for the horn. It was the 1st, and only thing that I'd ever asked him for. But, being the ### that he was, he never did it. I auditioned for the corps on a little 3/4 tuba from marching band, and didn't make it.

None of the corps that I marched with (Black Watch, Crossmen, Bucs and now Sac) had K-90's. It would be over 20 years before I got my hands on a K-90 again.

My mother passed away in Dec. of '03. I used part of the insurance money to buy a K-90 from SF Renegades. Troopers had theirs for sale at the same time, but wanted $1500 +shipping. While they were in better shape than the one I got, I just couldn't pay that much.

My K-90 is in reasonable shape. It never had the 3rd valve conversion, and still has the balance and fantastic tone that made the K-90's the best ever. The one and only complaint that I have with it is that it's got the silver finish and tarnishes faster than you'd believe. Cleaning & polishing that monster is an all-day project!

While I haven't gotten back out to Sac since I got the contra, I have played it with the oldest junior drum corps in America: the Bracken Cavaliers. My brother-in-law was a bari player with Bracken back in the '60's, and I help out the alumni corps.

So, that's my K-90 story.

Bill

Where have all of the old King K-90 Contra's gone?  These were truely great instruments in a time when G bugles were less than wonderful from a craftsmanship standpoint.

If you happen to be fortunate enough to own or play one let us here from you.

All Hail SAK  :rock:

We have 5 K-90s all in decent shape. Last night was the first night we didn't have any on the field. While they are great horns to play, the music we play really needs a third valve. Members of the corps own 3 3-valve Degs and one Kanstul.

These are some great stories. Does anyone know what the bore size and bell size was/is on the K-90? I recently discovered that the new Yamaha BBb's tuba's have a .728 bore size with a 21" bell. Is this comparable to the K-90?

All Hail SAK :rock:

Edited by LowBrassman

These are some great stories. Does anyone know what the bore size and bell size was/is on the K-90? I recently discovered that the new Yamaha BBb's tuba's have a .728 bore size with a 21" bell.  Is this comparable to the K-90?

All Hail SAK  :rock:

OK, here's the numbers for the K-90:

Height (sitting on bell) 40 1/2"

Height (playing position) 24"

Bell size: 19"

Weight: 19 pounds w/mouthpiece

Don't know what the bore size is, tho...

King's standard tuba bore size is 689 going into the valves. That is most likely the bore size. Their new professional marching tuba has a 687 bore going into the valves and a 19.5 inch detachable bell. www.kingwinds.com

Edited by contra88

King's standard tuba bore size is 689 going into the valves. That is most likely the bore size. Their new professional marching tuba has a 687 bore going into the valves and a 19.5 inch detachable bell. www.kingwinds.com