2nd CR review

Drum corps returned to Cedar Rapid, IA last night in a big way! They hosted one of the most outstanding line-ups I’ve seen in a “hometown show” in years, and overall, it was a great evening for drum corps. Kingston Stadium has very few seats which could be called high, so most of my opinions will not address M&M or show design.

First off, I want to say that I was awestruck by how strong most of the corps were tonight. I recall last year attending a show in Dekalb, IL on June 21st, and I felt like almost all of those corps were unprepared. The show last night had most of the corps making a strong showing. I’m not sure how 2005 is so different, but it looks like we are going to have a competitive year on the field.

Blue Stars: I had high expectations for the Blue Stars because I had seen them twice in July last year, and they were very, very strong. They were cocky, they had swagger. Last night’s show was a stark contrast. It is clear to me that the Blue Stars are scrambling to teach their kids the show. I expect this has to do with the fact that it IS early in the season, but they certainly stood out as being underprepared in Cedar Rapids.

Overall I didn’t like the music they are playing as well as last year’s book, but I expect my opinion may change as they develop over the season. They were really too dirty, and played too tentative to make any kind of judgement I’d be willing to swear by.

One opinion that I will throw down though is that I think their guard uniform is one of the more ridiculous things I have ever seen on the field. It goes beyond explanation really, but one (an older person) might say it is a collision of Madonna, Cindy Lauper, and Michael Jackson stylings from the late 80s. I chose the word “collision” on purpose there. I can’t envision a guard member reflecting fondly on how “cool” they looked in the summer of 2005.

The Blue Stars will have a very good season this year, but I will be looking forward to seeing them in late July. They have a ton of potential to improve this show.

Pioneer: I’ll be honest, I am usually pretty biased against Pioneer. With that said, I thought they looked great last night. Their “Ireland” show was very characteristic of Pioneer, but it was also very well executed, and strong musically. Alls sections were solid this evening, and they definitely entertained us (which is what being in Pioneer is all about according to the way they talk about their corps).

Their color guard looked great tonight as well. I really think the corps uniforms in general have a very rich & classy look, and I think that really helps them, and works to their advantage when they execute like they did this evening. With that said, I’m not too keen on their hats. They look good on a drum major, but they make a corps look short & young.

One suggestion I’d make is that if they are going to “own” the whole Irish identity in drum corps, and they are going to have their show themed on Ireland like they do this year, I think they really need to make a move to own “Danny Boy” going forward. Nobody has played it much since 27th folded, and I think it’s time to pass the torch. Let’s think about writing in a new ending for this in the 2nd season!

Troopers: My expectations for the Troopers were high tonight, and my impression of them was lukewarm. Most of what I saw and heard on the field from them tonight was potential. The arrangement of their music, and the interaction between the pit, and hornline during the melody was really evident.

They were noticeably short on bodies tonight, and I think it is hurting them. My advice to anyone still thinking about marching corps this summer would be to RUN to the Troopers. They have a great show, but they need bodies!

Like the Blue Stars earlier, they suffered tonight with a lot of kids who were clearly just learning the show. Some of the color guard members were barely able to march in their hole, much less handle their equipment. I had a hard time focusing on the show because I kept thinking disaster or a collision was eminent as I watched the guard members. They were not confident.

One major criticism I have (and I am sorry about singling this guy out, but this needs to be addressed) is that they have a “screeching” soprano player who clearly did not handle the late releases very well in the first part of the show. If he is going to try to impress us with how high he can play, it needs to sound like he is truly hitting a note, and not just blowing hot air at us. I found him offensive, and I was really glad when he chilled out on this in the second half of the show. He needs to get stronger on these “solos”, or be written out very quickly. I am hoping it is just that he has been practicing so much in the past few weeks.

Colt Cadets: I am a former member of the Colt organization, so I am biased to like these kids. The show this year is based on the music of arcade classics, and it was a lot of fun trying to recall what game, each song they played came from.

They have another crowd pleasing, and well written show this year, and it was a welcome surprise to hear how well they were playing the music this early in the season. Overall, I think they are a stronger corps this year, and I think they have a show which is going to suit them well.

With that said, they have a ton of cleanup work to do both musically & in the M&M area. It’ll be interesting to see how well these kids perform by late July.

Colts: I had low expectations for the show this year, having heard it at a Memorial Day celebration, but I have to say that they were great when I saw them on the field tonight. The Colt’s are noticeably strong this year, and they are already projecting that with the way they are marching.

Although I think most of their music is what one might call “modern drum corps style”, they did a really good job of selling it well, and kept me from thinking about the fact that I really wasn’t familiar with what they are playing. Their energy level was high through the entire show, and I think this indicates that the corps could at least be “in the hunt” for a top 12 spot when August gets here.

Their colorguard looked exceptionally good tonight, and I really had to remind myself I was looking at the Colt’s as I watched them perform. They looked like a top 12 colorguard, which is not always the case in June, in Dubuque. I think it will be an interesting season.

Madison: The Scouts are clearly ON FIRE this season. They have an energy level, and confidence about them that is a notch higher than I have seen out of Madison in many seasons. Without a doubt, the Scouts are back with The Carmen Project.

I admit that I don’t have a lot of familiarity with the plot of Carmen, but there is a lot to like about what they are playing since it is music we are all familiar with, and there are hints of West Side Story, and Malaguena thrown in for good measure.

As I watched this show, and took in the newfound confidence that the Scouts were projecting, I found myself wondering if the corps really needed “Carmen” (the guest performer) to bring this to us, or was she really just a device that has somehow enabled the guys to perform to the next level. I guess I felt like the Scouts have always had this in them, and if it takes a girl prancing around to unlock this potential, then lets have her.

With that said, I do want to comment that I was hoping that Carmen would be portrayed as more of a lady (the way SCV portrays their featured performers) than as a scantilly clad piece of eye candy. If this is due to the type of character Carmen (the character in the story) is then, perhaps they have done this right, but I felt like what I saw on the field was a little more on the “cheap” side than it needed to be.

Phantom: Full, rich, lush sound. Great music. Rhapsody in Blue is a beautiful piece, and this is a very entertaining show to watch. Playing one song for the entire show is an ambitious undertaking though, so I do have to say that I was left wondering if this show could contend for a top 3 spot.

One criticism I have is that they have a male featured dancer who plays the Gene Kelly/Fred Astaire role for the entire show, and after about 5 minutes, it started to get annoying to me that this one great entertainer (he is really great!) was getting most of the attention, and focus of the show, when in fact you have one of the best corps in the business out there with him. I’d like to see some attempt to marginalize this guy during portions of their show, so that the crowd is encouraged to consider what the other 134 people are doing. Maybe give him a costume change that allows him to blend into the colorguard for a while? I’m not sure what they need, but it gets old watching this guy gracefully scamper in and out of all of the great sets that the rest of the corps is making.

Blue Knights: BK drew the “death card” this evening, and had to follow Madison & PR on the field. This naturally had a way of letting the air out of their show, and they came off really flat, and tired looking tonight. I don’t think it was their best effort, and so I’ll be a little reserved here.

They play an all original show which has some really good drum sections (the highlight of their show this evening) but for the most part lacked a level of energy that was illustrated by most of the other corps this evening. I think they got the placement they deserved tonight, but I look for them to improve, and be a top 12 contender in August.

Overall, my impression was that corps were further along this year than they were last year, so I think we’re in for a good season where the top 12 will truly be exceptionally good.

Edited by dcm_alum

With that said, I do want to comment that I was hoping that Carmen would be portrayed as more of a lady (the way SCV portrays their featured performers) than as a scantilly clad piece of eye candy.  If this is due to the type of character Carmen (the character in the story) is then, perhaps they have done this right, but I felt like what I saw on the field was a little more on the “cheap” side than it needed to be.

Phantom:  Full, rich, lush sound.  Great music.  Rhapsody in Blue is a beautiful piece, and this is a very entertaining show to watch.  Playing one song for the entire show is an ambitious undertaking though, so I do have to say that I was left wondering if this show could contend for a top 3 spot.

Carmen is about a gypsy who seduces men with her looks and dancing. She's not a whore, but she's not exactly a lady either. I confess, I envisioned a costume with more coverage, but I think the Scouts approach is appropriate to the material.

I thought PR was playing American in Paris as well as Rhapsody in Blue? Gene Kelly is associated the movie version of American in Paris. History note: PR first played American in Paris is 76 (?). Madison played Rhapsody in 75 and 76; and American in Paris in 85.

I think your recollection about PR, that their show was to be both "Rhaphsody" & "American in Paris" is accurate. I have listened to both of these pieces so much that they are practically indestinguishable in my memory beyond the obvious "cars honking" effect in AIP. They don't do that effect in the show this year, so I think I inaccurately perceived it as just all being Rhapsody.

My bad.

I admit that I don’t have a lot of familiarity with the plot of Carmen

Okay.

I guess I felt like the Scouts have always had this in them, and if it takes a girl prancing around to unlock this potential, then lets have her.

Haha... great line!

With that said, I do want to comment that I was hoping that Carmen would be portrayed as more of a lady (the way SCV portrays their featured performers) than as a scantilly clad piece of eye candy. If this is due to the type of character Carmen (the character in the story) is then, perhaps they have done this right, but I felt like what I saw on the field was a little more on the “cheap” side than it needed to be.

You already said that you're not too familiar with Carmen! It's not that I disagree with your point necessarily, but why would you make the comment if you're not sure, or why wouldn't you do a wee bit of research before stating that you're looking for "more of a lady"?

Speaking of Vanguard, check out these shots from their 1990 Carmen show --

http://www.geocities.com/robbass95/scv/scv90.htm

Granted, they're not dressed scantily, but the 'Carmens' in that show raised some eyebrows. Not sure if it's on the DVD, but you really need to see the routine they were doing during warmup. Talk about "cheap" b**bs (and I loved every second of it).

"Carmen" is traditionally a "provocative" role. Not "slutty", but definitely "head-turning"

I'd have to see what her work in the show is like myself before I say more.

Meanwhile, OT, but why can't we see more of THIS in drum corps:

90scvprancestep.jpg

B)

Edited by Galen

k- mine...Im at work so this will be quick

[u]Blue Stars[/u]- my corps :) Big big big big.....growing growing growing.....lots of work to do..... It wasnt a goos read for me they have all the potential in the world as usual.

[u]colt cadets[/u]. very entertaining as usual.

[u]troopers[/u]. keep it coming guys...if they could fill out there horn line they would be awsome. Huge sound from a 35- 40 memebr horn line

[u]pioneer.[/u] good step forward for them. I wish they could break away from the irish thing alittle... Its tired

[u]Blue Nights[/u] cool show.... very very very dirty.

[u]Colts[/u] I was very impressed with all around. very mature. nice sounding brass line. plenty of volume. there gaurd had tremendace impact on ther show. Drum line was pretty clean ( for this time of year) top 12 contenders myabe.
go getm!

[u]Scouts[/u]very nice show horns and drum hallin *** through out. Big sound obviously. drums were very clean. pretty easy book but affective. there gaurd is terrible. I think I saw 12 or so drops in there show :rock:

[u]regiment[/u] cool show as well. drum line little dirty,horns looking and sounding great. But there gaurd was exceptional. If I looked at a recap and they werent killing Scouts in gaurd I would be crushed.

thats it

joeB