what ever happen to tradition and honor

If you want to talk numbers, then take a look at them.

Spirit placements from 1991 to 2000 (before JSU):

15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 17, 14, 16, 15

Spirit is better since teaming up with the university.

If you want to talk about numbers how about going back to the 70's and 80's see where Spirit of Atlanta was placing then. :) It's not just the University, although I'm sure it helps tremendously, it's the management and the staff they hire to teach and run the corps. :)

1977 23

1978 6

1979 4

1980 4

1981 9

1982 12

1983 7

1984 6

1985 7

1986 6

1988 9

1989 14

1990 11

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, corps must evolve because 12 people say so.

If you didn't notice, there's a lot more than one person involved on the creative end of every drum & bugle corps out there. Statements like that quoted above are just ignorant. It's not because anyone "says so," it's because of a lot of general trends that add up to push the activity in a certain direction.

On the other hand, would you rather see the activity stagnate and *not* change from year to year? How boring would it be if drum & bugle corps still performed shows like they did thirty years ago? There'd be no fans left and no kids would be marching. Change may not always bring improvement, but stagnation is worse.

Yes, Freddy and Lynda (his wife) still run Spirit Camp, a youth marching band camp every summer. Sharon (his sister) helps with administration and is also music caption head for the camp. (I am the Camp Coordinator and auxiliary caption head.) We just finished up with that last week, and it was a GREAT camp this year. Many Spirit alumni still come back to teach each year, as it's a great week for catching up and seeing "family".

Freddy does work with Phantom some....he started that when Michael, their younger son marched there last summer and has continued teaching there some this season as well. He's doing great, and really enjoying life these days.

I do know that Spirit has at least one "old" alum on staff, as well as a few from more recent years I think. Clint Gillespie is percussion caption head and has been touring with them this summer. The alumni association also runs the souvie operation, so if anyone starts to hurt for a "good old days" story, I'm sure there are always folks willing to share. :)

When Ken took on the corps he made the changes he felt like would be best for the corps. As it's director, that is 100% his perogative. As a former member, teacher of several current members, and friend to many others, I think I can safely say that the alumni from the "glory days" wish the current corps nothing but the best, and we'd love nothing more than for them to return to the upper ranks of DCI.

Edited by justgin

Yes, Freddy and Lynda (his wife) still run Spirit Camp, a youth marching band camp every summer.  Sharon (his sister) helps with administration and is also music caption head for the camp.  (I am the Camp Coordinator and auxiliary caption head.)  We just finished up with that last week, and it was a GREAT camp this year.  Many Spirit alumni still come back to teach each year, as it's a great week for catching up and seeing "family".

Freddy does work with Phantom some....he started that when Michael, their younger son marched there last summer and has continued teaching there some  this season as well.  He's doing great, and really enjoying life these days. 

I do know that Spirit has at least one "old" alum on staff, as well as a few from more recent years I think.  Clint Gillespie is percussion caption head and has been touring with them this summer.  The alumni association also runs the souvie operation, so if anyone starts to hurt for a "good old days" story, I'm sure there are always folks willing to share.  :)

When Ken took on the corps he made the changes he felt like would be best for the corps.  As it's director, that is 100% his perogative.  As a former member, teacher of several current members, and friend to many others, I think I can safely say that the alumni from the "glory days" wish the current corps nothing but the best, and we'd love nothing more than for them to return to the upper ranks of DCI.

working with the spirit camp is not actually working with the drum corps he help give birth too. it seems that jsu feels it is their personal creation and not something given to them

Guest DrumCorpFan
If you didn't notice, there's a lot more than one person involved on the creative end of every drum & bugle corps out there.  Statements like that quoted above are just ignorant.  It's not because anyone "says so," it's because of a lot of general trends that add up to push the activity in a certain direction. 

On the other hand, would you rather see the activity stagnate and *not* change from year to year?  How boring would it be if drum & bugle corps still performed shows like they did thirty years ago?  There'd be no fans left and no kids would be marching.  Change may not always bring improvement, but stagnation is worse.

It's not an ignorant statement. Sometimes it takes a decade and a half just to get 12 people to say yes. But then, it immediately becomes drum corps inevitable evolution.

As a member who marched under Freddy -

FYI -

We took 10th and 9th.....we weren't even close to challenging for 7th or higher.

Also:

my point was that most corps try to keep former

marchers on as staff to pass traditions,

Incase you haven't been around the corps lately or bothered to check out what they are doing behind the scenes....

I can name two staff members right off the bat that are former Spirit of Atlanta members.....If I am not mistaken.....one of them actually marched in 1986, so if you are a 1986 member you would even know him.

Come on over to the Delta House sometime and check out what the alums do to ensure that the kids never forget where the name Spirit came from.

We don't forget - the staff doesn't forget - Ken Bodiford definitely doesn't forget -and we never let the members forget.

The traditions live on in the corps, the question is.....

What have you done lately to help ensure that the current members of the corps know that their alumni stand behind them 100% and to pass on those traditions to them?

Here's a few ideas.....

Join the Alumni Association

Come visit the kids - you might just be surprised how interested they are to hear about the "Old" days from geezers like yourself.

Donate some moolah to the cause. We are always trying to help the corps along and ensure they are well taken care of. If you need the web address, let me know. We accept pay pal even!

Purchase an alumni association shirt for only $10

Buy some super cool souvies - we have plenty to offer thanks to a TON of former marching members who make our Souvie organization WONDERFUL!

The point is.....

It's about standing behind the corps and ensuring there are traditions to carry on. Were it not for JSU - there would be no Spirit at all today.....and then you would have nothing to whine about and would have never registered on DCP.

GSFTR!

If you want to talk about numbers how about going back to the 70's and 80's see where Spirit of Atlanta was placing then.  :)  It's not just the University, although I'm sure it helps tremendously, it's the management and the staff they hire to teach and run the corps. :)

1977 23

1978 6

1979 4

1980 4

1981 9   

1982 12

1983 7

1984 6

1985 7

1986 6

1988 9

1989 14

1990 11

I know all about "old Spirit" and "new Spirit". I was taught how to play a marching brass instrument by Freddy Martin himself for 4 years. The alumni and the University have brought Spirit back from near collapse.

I was just comparing Spirit's situation now and the time immediately before JSU's involvement.

Alright, I'm not going to beat this horse anymore :worthy:

Edited by JMExp92

If you want to talk about numbers how about going back to the 70's and 80's see where Spirit of Atlanta was placing then.  :)  It's not just the University, although I'm sure it helps tremendously, it's the management and the staff they hire to teach and run the corps. :)

1977 23

1978 6

1979 4

1980 4

1981 9   

1982 12

1983 7

1984 6

1985 7

1986 6

1988 9

1989 14

1990 11

first let me say finals 86 was a sad time for many facing the back field and seeind the 27 in big letters was just heart breaking im sure it was for those who march them as well i never forgot that sight. on to the other when i was looking at the spirit site i was shocked to see the following " jsu's summer band program" that is what spirit drum corp is refered to as.

Thank you Ginger and Bamabd90, I have been following this thread but unsure how to respond to my fellow '86 vet.

I am the teacher I am today because of Freddy Martin. I find myself chanelling Freddy everytime I'm in front of my band, marching or concert.

I am very thankfull to Ken Bodiford and JSU for saving the corps I love. i'm also thankfull to Alan and Ginger and the others who pulled and struggled through the rough years. Spirit did go inactive one season, correct?

Don

contra '86, '88

now....I'm gonna make sure I join the alumni association.