what ever happen to tradition and honor

first let me say finals 86 was a sad time for many facing the back field and seeind the 27 in big letters was just heart breaking im sure it was for those who march them as well i never forgot that sight. on to the other when i was looking at the spirit site i was shocked to see the following " jsu's summer band program"  that is what spirit drum corp is refered to as.

I didn't want to get involved anymore, but don't make stuff up to prove your point. The website calls it a "Summer Performance Ensemble". Is that not what a drum corps is?

Take your hate somewhere else.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

86Atlanta..........who are you??

"Bama" marched, I marched, Josh marched........you're just stirring things up. I dunno, but when I see someone who's only posts are in a thread where they try to start a fuss, and they don't even know the right names of people who were a HUGE part of the Spirit Organization, I get a bit suspicious.

How about signing your name? I marched in '86, so we should know each other.

~gin

Hey 86atlanta:

I want to reiterate what Denise and Ginger stated! Sign onto the Delta House and let's talk more there!

As an alumni, I can confirm that Ken Bodiford fully supports and encourages the history and traditions of Spirit of Atlanta / of Georgia / from JSU are known to the members every year. Ken is the Director and he calls the shots. The SOAAA is there to support Spirit.

Yes, some alumni are on staff in 2005. Alumni of other corps are as well. Doesn't matter to me. It's still that baby blue I love so much out there on the field!

86atlanta, I will join Ginger and ask that you sign your name.

If you really marched that summer, you will not have a problem identifying yourself to those of us that shared that summer with you.

If you want truly want to discuss anything, you can do so with any of us here in PM, on the Spirit board (or in PM's there) or via email through this site or the Spirit board as well.

Creating a s/n and posting things that merely "stir the pot" at a time that Spirit is enjoying their best summer in a couple of seasons is not productive for anyone.

The corps enjoyed immense success under Freddy's leadership in the late 70's and early to mid 80's. As he began to focus less on the corps and more on his family in the later 80's and early 90's (he had to figure out a way to pay for college for his son), he turned over much of the day to day responsibilities for the organization to others. The corps began to slip some in that transition. He actually retired from the corps after the '93 season and was not associated with the corps until being asked to return for the 2000 competitive season in a lead instructional role.

He put together a team of people that would eventually be forced to salvage the corps from an attempt to fold it in June of 2000 by the then administrative team. Thanks to a monumental effort by Freddy, a large group of alumni, friends of the corps throughout the activity and parents of corps members, the corps survived and toured that summer. The partnership with JSU began with the 2001 season and he left the organization after that season.

Bama is correct, were it not for JSU, Spirit would be no more. Our choices after the 2000 season were to either fold the corps, or return to the competitive field as a new organization under the JSU umbrella. There was a conscious decision made by both Freddy and others to move forward under the JSU umbrella with the understanding that many things would most likely change as that transition continued. It was more important to keep the corps alive than it was to regain control of something that had slipped so far from what he had originally built.

Freddy is happy doing what he is doing, the corps is enjoying what they hope will be a return to the top 12 this summer so I"m puzzled what good you think will come of your post.

Again, I would ask you to identify yourself. We'll be awaiting your reply.

AA

and their placement shows what happens when you don't evolve. i have nothing against tradition. its important but at the sametime a corps needs to change certain things over time

Are you saying if a corps doesn't continuely move up in placement, then tradition is the reason? Not sure what you mean here. What does tradition have to do with placement? I think you can keep tradition and still be a competitor. I admired Cadets for the longest time because of their traditions until recently when they went hog-wild with amplification. But till then, they were always competative and held strict traditions... and still do. But they didn't change uniforms every few years and marched on the field the same way.

Once you for-go your traditions, you start to lose a sense of who you are. I'm in my 30's but I'm starting to see the importance of heritage and traditions, gives you an identity. It's a great feeling of pride in who you are and what you do when you can say, "it's been this way for X many years" because that takes displine, perseverance and dedication. Some virtues I see slipping away in our society today.

nhsalan....

I don't mean to get off topic, but I wasn't sure if you would notice my post in the Div II/III forum.

I notice you are with Court of Honor and was curious how the organization was progressing in their effort to field a corps in 2006? I helped organize a performance of their's last year at Stone Mountain Park, and was very disappointed when they had to pull out this year. Do you know of most of the members found a different corps to tour with this year?

And to be on topic....I am not a member or ever was of Spirit, and I find it very offensive you (86Atlanta) would question the tradition and honor of this program. These performers work their butts off and I am ecstatic to see them return to finals this year!

Edited by chadwick

Chad,

I left Court of Honor last year immediately after Denver. I was not part of any of the actions or decisions of the corps after that point.

Unfortunately, I don't anticipate the corps returning and I'm not aware of any efforts moving towards that; but I most likely would not be. There might be such plans, and I'm simply unaware.

To answer your other question, there are quite a few of our kids from CoH who have populated other corps for this summer. I know myself and a couple of other staffers did everything we could to help any members or staff members that wanted a new "home" for the summer to find one. I know that Spirit, Memphis, Carolina Crown, and Magic have all received members from the corps and I think most of those that wanted to find a home did so. My staff members from last summer that wanted to work are working at Spirit, Memphis, Teal Sound and Madison.

If you have any further questions I would refer you to the Court of Honor website

Court of Honor Drum and Bugle Corps

and you can email the corps director Marc Kaufman from there. I'm not sure if he still monitors that email or not.

Best wishes, AA

nhsalan....

I don't mean to get off topic, but I wasn't sure if you would notice my post in the Div II/III forum.

I notice you are with Court of Honor and was curious how the organization was progressing in their effort to field a corps in 2006?  I helped organize a performance of their's last year at Stone Mountain Park, and was very disappointed when they had to pull out this year.  Do you know of most of the members found a different corps to tour with this year?

And to be on topic....I am not a member or ever was of Spirit, and I find it very offensive you (86Atlanta) would question the tradition and honor of this program.  These performers work their butts off and I am ecstatic to see them return to finals this year!

Edited by nhsalan