Seattle, WA show 7/9

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy but when it comes to show design and giving out points, the only opinion that matters is that of the green shirts on the field and in the box. And for the record I know for a fact that the judges very much like the scades show and can see that it has a lot of potential. So grow up and treat these people with the respect they deserve, god knows they are doing more for this activity than you are by whining. Can't wait to see the show tonight in Spokane, and to give them the support that they deserve.

Exactly. Saying it made them look ######## was not specifically meaning that all the kids are in fact mentally ill. Give me a break.

You're missing the point. It's not about taking it literally. It's the casual use of these terms as derogatory epithets that many find offensive.

or we can keep lowering our standards so as to not offend anyone always seeking out the least common denominator instead of expecting the most from a person.

We're never going to not offend anyone. But IMO, expecting the most from a person means that he or she can give opinions without resorting to easy epithets. The English language contains a wide variety of words. There are plenty which would've been far less demeaning, and actually more accurate, than the ones the first poster chose. Do I expect more from people? You're darned right I do. Hence, my comments.

Edited by byline

Call me crazy but when it comes to show design and giving out points, the only opinion that matters is that of the green shirts on the field and in the box.  And for the record I know for a fact that the judges very much like the scades show and can see that it has a lot of potential.  So grow up and treat these people with the respect they deserve, god knows they are doing more for this activity than you are by whining.  Can't wait to see the show tonight in Spokane, and to give them the support that they deserve.

Exactly, the Spokane show will be rockin for both Scades and Spokane Thunder... I'll be givin some positives to the members of all corps at the show tonight!

We're never going to not offend anyone. But IMO, expecting the most from a person means that he or she can give opinions without resorting to easy epithets. The English language contains a wide variety of words. There are plenty which would've been far less demeaning, and actually more accurate, than the ones the first poster chose. Do I expect more from people? You're darned right I do. Hence, my comments.

I'm sorry I offended you with my choice in words. These were used to describe my personal opinion. I just hope you are mature enough to see through the verbage and see the message and meaning of what I was trying to say.

Call me crazy but when it comes to show design and giving out points, the only opinion that matters is that of the green shirts on the field and in the box.  And for the record I know for a fact that the judges very much like the scades show and can see that it has a lot of potential.  So grow up and treat these people with the respect they deserve, god knows they are doing more for this activity than you are by whining.  Can't wait to see the show tonight in Spokane, and to give them the support that they deserve.

Did I clap and cheer for the cascades? Yes. I did. Did I boo them? No, I did not. I gave them the support that they deserve. However, I am also not afraid to voice my opionion. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who think that the best thing for them is to shower them with praises and tell them that they were great while casually ignoring the things they didn't like. I only give them my feedback in hopes that it will give them some honest insite that might influence their decisions in the future for the betterment of the corp. Why? Because I want them to succeed.

I think Mr. Peashy has the wrong idea when he referred to the fan support. Supporting them and liking their show design are two different things. I will still support them even though I don't like this particular show design. But for the corp to assume that clapping and cheering must equate to the acceptance of the narration by the fans is completely wrong. That is supporting the corp and the show as a whole and the hard work and effort that it took for them to be able to come out and perform for us like they did. I applaud that. I do not applaud the narration. Don't use the fact that you don't hear booing mean that the narration is excepted by all the fans. Giving them a good review is not the same as giving them support. Don't assume I don't give them support just because I didn't enjoy their show as much as the others.

edit: by the way, I think the judges were wearing grey shirts last night :P And since when are the judges more important than the fans? My take on it was that it was always most important to put on a good show for the fans. Judges make the scores yes, but if you are going out and putting on a show for the judges, you are doing it for the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

Edited by Brass Ablaze

I'm sorry I offended you with my choice in words. These were used to describe my personal opinion. I just hope you are mature enough to see through the verbage and see the message and meaning of what I was trying to say.

Of course I can see it. The thing that bothers me, and others, is that there are many other more descriptive words, which I think would've got your message across far more clearly and without stigmatizing any groups. That's what I wish more people would do, as they're choosing the language with which to describe their opinions. It's all too easy to use certain epithets, and to throw them out casually. Why not work a little harder and find the words which really describe what you mean?

Of course I can see it. The thing that bothers me, and others, is that there are many other more descriptive words, which I think would've got your message across far more clearly and without stigmatizing any groups. That's what I wish more people would do, as they're choosing the language with which to describe their opinions. It's all too easy to use certain epithets, and to throw them out casually. Why not work a little harder and find the words which really describe what you mean?

It's not possible to live life without offending SOMEONE with something you say. In this case, it was you and for that I again appologise. I picked my words because they best fit my personality and I felt they best described how I felt as well as the frustration that I have which I think was very succesful in coming across in my words. Additionally, please bear in mind that when dealing with text only you do not have the luxury of noting my other forms of communication such as tone and posture etc. So again I say, I am sorry that you were offended in this case and I ask that you please focus the topic of discussion on actual opinions of the people on this forum rather than the vocabulary in which people voice those opinions.

I ask that you please focus the topic of discussion on actual opinions of the people on this forum rather than the vocabulary in which people voice those opinions.

Suffice to say Brass Ablaze just doesn't get the constructive criticism some have attempted to provide in this thread. I hate to kick one when he is down, but this remark makes absolutely no sense. If one opens a thread with ignorant and insensitive remarks (verbally attacking a "14 year old" and feeling perfectly fine using "########" to affix a negative connotation to something), the "vocabulary" overshadows the "opinion." Asking the readers to separate the "vocabulary" from the "opinion" is *ss backwards... if you choose to express yourself, it is your responsibility to clearly articulate your opinion in a manner that fosters discussion of the topic you wish to discuss. Interestingly, you might find if you express it in a more empathetic way, I believe you will get more constructive feedback and discussion. Also, it's crap and a ridiculous cop-out to insinuate that one can’t use "########" because it’s “politically incorrect.” It has nothing to do with political correctness; it’s flat out insulting and ignorant.