Walnut Review

What a difference 2 weeks makes!

After attending the Westlake Village show 2 weeks ago, I seriously questioned whether or not it would be worth the 180-mile round-trip drive to see the same line-up again. I did not write a review for Westlake as I had a hard time putting my opinion in to words. The closest to my opinion I saw online was Ryan Turner’s review of the Long Beach show 2 days before Westlake. Don’t get me wrong, any drum corp show is better then none, but it really felt like the early season run (June 26th) was too early for some groups. It was with this reasoning that I figured it was worth the trip. I’m glad I did.

This was year #2 where Corps at the Crest was held at Mt. Sac and it continues to be a great venue. The only issues with sunlight are for the very early performers that might be catching a little too many rays in the eyes. Not an issue for the audience.

Hawthorne Gold was first up and they look to be an impressive program. My understanding is that this program is actually based in a local public school program in Hawthorne. Regardless of the roots, I hope they continue to get support as they saw great improvement over the last time I saw them. More confidence and better projection. This might turn in to a good regional draw in LA County.

River City Regiment – First time I have ever seen this group though I read their news in the senior corps forum. They seem to be the counter-balance to the Renegades in the land of Northern CA Senior Corps. This was emphasized at their souvie booth where they sold a T-Shirt proclaiming: “We’re on a Mission from God. . . Defeat Evil!” ($10 shirt in bag) Nice to see the corps exploiting each other’s marketing skills to the benefit of all. The Corp performance was nice and hopefully they will see growth in numbers in the next few years and maybe even a Pit!

Dream – Night and Day. . .Maybe it’s because I saw them (last time) at the end of a 4-day run. Whatever it was, they came out with more teeth. Nice to see the potential come out in the performance. The program seemed very strong for the first 2/3 of the show. The last 1/3 was just not as strong to me. Confidence or mistakes (I’m not sure), but there seemed to be something missing.

Jester – There was a bit of an exchange with regard to a review of this group last time around. To me, I think the show is over their head. Of course the performers are doing everything they can to get it on the field and you have to respect that. But if it is the management’s goal to attract new members to grow the group, you need to provide a program that is both challenging and rewarding at the same time.

Mystikal – Great improvement over 2 weeks. Stronger, and more confident. I’m still not sure I am in to the sorcerer theme they have chosen, but it was better executed this time around.

Impulse – Stronger. When they came on the field with the large boxes, I had hope that there would be some prop zani-ness (something I have looked for since the “Wilson” moment of the Islands show some time back). No such luck this time, but I did hear a show that sounded much more like what they are performing. I live with the Incredibles playing in my house at least once a week so I have a “familiarity” with the score. This sounded much more like the movie (nice job). The only prop from the movie was the 12” figure of Mr. Incredible carried out by the Drum Majors and placed on the backfield podium.

Academy – Strong as expected but the difference between them and their competitors was not nearly as apparent given the growth of the others. 2 weeks back, they were a standout. This week, not so much. Still a very strong program that I am eager to see compete nationally. Clearly some great operational planning and support to come as far as they have already.

Intermission – Took the time to run up the stairs to say hello to Ryan H. Turner (announcer for the evening and former VK Drum Major from one of my favorite shows). I wanted to put my face to my screen name as well as see how Ryan had “evolved” since his time on the podium. Announcing is another area that saw considerable improvement. Although to be fair, the announcer at the Westlake show seemed to be new at it (new show) where Ryan has been doing this for some time. The key here that helped the audience was the show description offered by the Ryan PRIOR to each show (where in Westlake there was nothing). There was only one gaffe that caused my section to laugh a bit when he was describing RCR, the word “suave” was used to describe one of the pieces. Except Ryan pronounced it “suave-eh.” (Rico-Suave-eh).

Esperanza – Nice show with some recognizable pieces. My only complaint here was the pit (amplified) volume was too loud. I was in Row 20 on the 45 and the pit overpowered the drumline in some sections.

Mandarins – Still the coolest uniforms in town (Impulse a close 2nd). The soloist for the opener was the best thing I have heard in a long time. Great phrasing, range and control to a very exposed piece. This performer stuck in my head for much of the show. However, like Esperanza the (amplified) pit volume was too high.

Pacific Crest – Definitely a show that benefited from the announcer’s description of the show concept. Now I understand the weird shapes of reflected material at the end (ice). Very strong horns and a solid performance by your hosts. HOWEVER – Their guard was running warm-up and practice sessions in the grass field to the right of the performance field through at least 4 corps (+ intermission) and the clapping/counting could be heard in the stands. As the host corps, I would have hoped someone running tapes or other host duties for the judges might have passed the word to keep it down over there. Maybe next year.

Santa Clara Vanguard – Still a personal favorite and after sitting through the clinic a few weeks back, I felt I knew the show more then I otherwise would have. I had read that they were changing the drill to RCM and it looks like they did. There is definitely more movement in the last piece. It still needs to be cleaned, but there is definitely more energy there. Nice to see.

Scores – My only difference would have been the placement of Pacific Crest (who I would have put ahead of the Mandarins).

Combined brass of SCV and PC did America/O’Canada and PC did the encore.

Nice show, great night. See you at quarterfinals in Santa Clarita.

Dream – Night and Day. .  .Maybe it’s because I saw them (last time) at the end of a 4-day run.  Whatever it was, they came out with more teeth.  Nice to see the potential come out in the performance.  The program seemed very strong for the first 2/3 of the show.  The last 1/3 was just not as strong to me.  Confidence or mistakes (I’m not sure), but there seemed to be something missing.

I was just glad to go on third! By the time we entered the gate, the shade was almost to the back sideline....WAY above how far upfield we go. AT Long Beach the sun glare was HORRID...I couldn't see jack ####....I could see Jack Bevins, tho...

Intermission – Took the time to run up the stairs to say hello to Ryan H. Turner (announcer for the evening and former VK Drum Major from one of my favorite shows).  I wanted to put my face to my screen name as well as see how Ryan had “evolved” since his time on the podium.

That would probably be "out"....did I say that?? :P

...just like the rest of us!