The Cadets in the News

From the Wichita area newspaper:

For more updates: www.yea.org

==================================

Posted on Wed, Jul. 20, 2005

Bus crash snares drum corps a rare day of rest

BY BRENT D. WISTROM

The Wichita Eagle

Emma Roberts lay on an air mattress in the corner of a Derby High School classroom.

Her right elbow was fractured.

A couple of bottles of prescription pills were nearby.

The few hours of sleep she had were spotty at best.

But the smiley color guard coach from Miami said the bus accident that smashed her elbow and resulted in minor injuries to five others might be a good thing in the big picture.

It gave more than 135 drum and bugle corps members another day of intense practice and a rare seven hours of sleep -- on their backs.

The Cadets, a group of 14-to-22-year-olds from all over the United States and several other countries, filled four buses and several trailers in mid-June.

They've been on the road since, counting as many sheep as they can while slumped against the window of a bus traveling from one city to the next.

Their cross-country tour ends Aug. 12 after the Drum Corps International World Championship at Gillette Stadium, where the New England Patriots play.

After winning the Drums Across Kansas competition Monday night, they were getting ready to leave for Texas when a bus carrying the team's color guard rear-ended a staff bus as it was leaving the parking lot.

Several group members were treated for minor injuries. One bus driver was knocked unconscious and was released from the hospital Tuesday, tour manager Megh Healy said

More on the story

I'm more upset over the fact they require Real Player to view the video.

Posted on Wed, Jul. 20, 2005

Bus crash snares drum corps a rare day of rest

BY BRENT D. WISTROM

More on the story

I don't know who this reporter is, or how much he knows about our activity, but I thought the headline/byline was quite a nice "pun." "snares drum corps a rare day of rest."

:)

This is one of the times I'm really glad I live in Kansas. The people here have been really great to The Cadets since their accident. A restaurant named Red Beans Bayou Grill fed them lunch on Tuesday, and the local Papa John's brought 80 pizzas plus lots of Coca-Cola by for dinner yesterday. People have been driving up and leaving donations of drinks, money, etc., and all of the news outlets have covered the story. Derby High School was particularly awesome in letting them stay two extra days for free, particularly since the school is nice and cool with the AC on :) .

Just a shame we can't get enough folks together here to have our own corps :( .

This is one of the times I'm really glad I live in Kansas.  The people here have been really great to The Cadets since their accident.  A restaurant named Red Beans Bayou Grill fed them lunch on Tuesday, and the local Papa John's brought 80 pizzas plus lots of Coca-Cola by for dinner yesterday.  People have been driving up and leaving donations of drinks, money, etc., and all of the news outlets have covered the story.  Derby High School was particularly awesome in letting them stay two extra days for free, particularly since the school is nice and cool with the AC on  :) .

Just a shame we can't get enough folks together here to have our own corps  :( .

Dave,

You should be proud be be a Kansan! The people of Kansas and Derby specifically were phenominally gracious and generous hosts to The Cadets! My son called yesterday as they were leaving for Texas and I think he was actually sad to go (and he likes TX a lot! (we lived in Houston for 9 years).

As a Cadets parent - I have to say: THANK YOU KANSAS!!!! :huh::huh::huh::worthy: