I've forgotten how to play!

Musicman1084

So I appear to be having a bit of a problem... I played mellophone all throughout high school, but it's been three years since I've played. I wanted to join drum corps upon graduating high school, but my parents forbode me to do so (god knows why...). Without a good music program here at college, and with the thought that I would never get to march again, I regretfully stopped playing. Recently I decided that I was going against my parents wishes and march my age-out year (even if that does mean they won't help pay for my senior year of college).

Now that I've overcome this obstacle, I have an even bigger one on my hands... I rented a mellophone from school a few weeks ago and I've started practicing regularly. The only problem is, it appears that I have lost some of the talent I once had... I no longer have any range (I can only play from F-A comfortably, it's sad isn't it?) and I have this weird problem where it sounds like there is a ridiculous amount of excess air coming out of the horn. At first I attributed my shortcomings to the difference in mouthpieces... I'm playing on a 7c right now and I used to play on a 3c back in the day (both trumpet mouthpieces), but now I'm starting to doubt that the mouthpiece is the reason why I am not playing to my potential. I'm not sure what to do and I can't afford a lesson teacher at the moment (nor can I find one). I guess what I am asking is for someone to give me some advice...

What am I doing wrong that I can't get decent range without having to push for it? Is my air coming from the wrong place? Am I using too much pressure? And why does it sound like so much air is coming out of my horn?

This is my one and only chance at marching junior corps and I don't want to pass this up. It's been my dream ever since I saw my first show in 1998, and now that I finally have the chance to march, I refuse to let anything get in my way.

I would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks guys!

It's been a while. It will take you time to get your skills back. Make sure you are practicing regularly. Practice singing (to open up your throat), breathing, mouthpiece buzzing, long tones, lip slurs, etc.

I don't know what college you attend, but see if you can find a buddy in the music department who will work with you for cheap.

Most corps prefer their mello players to use an actual mello mouthpiece of some sort to get a more characteristic mellophone sound-- Something to keep in mind.

It's been a while.  It will take you time to get your skills back.  Make sure you are practicing regularly.  Practice singing (to open up your throat), breathing, mouthpiece buzzing, long tones, lip slurs, etc. 

I don't know what college you attend, but see if you can find a buddy in the music department who will work with you for cheap.

Most corps prefer their mello players to use an actual mello mouthpiece of some sort to get a more characteristic mellophone sound-- Something to keep in mind.

Would you happen to know of a site online where I can purchase a mouthpiece, or better yet, do you have any mouthpiece recommendations?

I just tried buzzing through the mouthpiece, and again, it sounds like too much air coming through. Is this normal? I don't seem to remember this happening back in the day...

I attend Northeastern University in Boston, MA... there really aren't any instructors to help me out. The band programs are primarily student run. Do you know of any books or instructional videos with exercises or other tips?

Thanks a lot for responding, I really appreciate it!

Check the horn for leaks or a valve that isn't seated properly. If all that checks out, continue reading.

You didn't say if you're looking to get on the field now or next season. If you're looking for NOW, then I suggest you get some help from the folks where you plan to march.

Not having heard your sound, I suspect the biggest obstacle you face is simply your time away from playing.

Most mellos I've played are beasts which are not easily tamed. For starters, see if you can convince someone to loan you a trumpet. That will eliminate most of the "beast" problems. Practice long tones and lip flexibilities (sluring exercises), focusing on proper embouchure, posture and breathing. Play until you tire and then stop. Try to get in this regimen twice a day. Concentrate on fullness of sound, not range. The range will come later. When you are able to produce a nice full sound (full, not loud) from the trumpet, go back to the mellophone. Keep on doing the long tones and slurs, again concentrating on the fullness of sound, and you'll be fine.

BTW, it is entirely possible that the mellophone you have has a lousy upper register. In my experience, none of them are great, but some are horrible.

1. Take the horn to a decent trumpet player and have them see whether it is okay. Your testing of an unknown horn in your current playing state will get you nowhere very quickly. You need to determine what is you and what is the horn. (Trumpet players can test it for you to see whether it is leaking, and they are much easier to locate than mellophone players, generally . . . )

2. Practice lots of long tones. Practice long tones in the middle register, gradually descending by half steps. Go as low as you can, including into the false tone area until you get down to the fundamental pedal not of the instrument (written C one octave below low C). Start working your way up as well. As you gain muscular strength and breath control in the low end, the upper end starts to sort itself out on its own to a certain extent. As you get more and more control, you may start to work on upper register exercises.

3. Buzz the mouthpiece. Play the horn only at first. But when your face starts to "get a clue" again you will need to start buzzing very easy tunes on the mouthpiece. Children's tunes are best, as they are hard to mess up, even when you are concentrating very hard on some aspect beyond the melody. Mary Had a Little Lamb played perfectly, in time, in tune, with a proper sound and style, in all 12 keys will be MUCH MORE BENEFICIAL that trying to buzz the Carnival of Venice at this point. Hard stuff comes later. Have patience.

4. Rest a lot when getting back into brass playing. Play 25 on 5 off for maybe a total of two hours for a few days. Move up to 50 on 10 off eventually, for as many hours as you feel you need, remembering that the brain and face can only sustain so much use (or abuse) until you are in very good shape. Again, be patient! You will get better.

5. Ask questions here as you need. Not silly "I was just curious" ones, but well thought out ones that clearly articulate what you need to know in a manner that someone can actually answer. You must be VERY articulate when you are getting help by means other than a live teacher. We cannot hear you, and could very well steer you in the wrong direction if you describe a problem in anything other than perfectly specific terms. There are those of us here that play and teach for a living. I am one of them. PM me when you need help. There are others here that might have the time to help you as well, and they might chime in here.

6. Buy two etude books. You really need to work on two types of thinking/playing at all times. First, the Arban's Complete Conservatory Method (for trumpet) is a wonderful technique builder. It starts oh-so-easily, yet gets up to stuff that you could practice for the rest of your life. It is not cheap. But it has a lot of material and some excellent text that will help you guide yourself. You also need some tone/air work, so I would suggest another trumpet book. I am unsure of the actual title, but look for a trumpet edition of the Concone Vocalises. These are very easy, technique-wise. They are used to work on quality of sound, breathing, and learning to make musical phrases. It is excellent stuff, though it looks deceivingly easy (or boring). It is actually very, very hard to do these perfectly with every single aspect nailed down. (Trumpet books work very well on the mellophone, as the written ranges are pretty similar. Horn books go too low in most cases. Just pick the ones that you can do and start from there.)

I wish you much luck and success in your "musical comeback". It is very hard to do this alone, so look for help wherever you can. And have fun!

Wade

Edited by Periphery

First off, I admire you for going after your goal of marching corps. I waited until I was a rookie-age out before I did it, and my only regret is not doing it sooner. But, it was definetly 'better late than never'.

These guys have all given good advice. I know if you were to rent/borrow a mellophone from my high school band, I would not be loaning out my top shelf stuff. Could be something as easy as a rotten spit valve cork causing the airy sound. Get one of the guys in the band to check it out for you if you don't think you can handle it.

Also, the Arbans book is great, but can be intimidating. At this point I don't think you need to play everything in every key. Be patient as you work to get your chops back and don't get discouraged. Trumpet players, is there an equivilant to the Remington Studies for Trombone?

Finally, I think you said your college has a marching band. Why not sign up for this fall? It most likely won't satisfy your marching fix, but will give you access to other players, and give you some face time on your horn in a social setting. Could be a fun way to get back in the groove.

Like one other DCP'er on here, I want to commend you on reaching for your dreams. Never stop. And don't let anyone stand in your way.

As for playing, I personally went through the same thing. Played a mello bugle in g in college and then laid off of it until just 6 weeks ago. A layoff of 15 years. I was so frustrated the first night I played, but everything is coming back. Bring it back slowly. Practice, make sure you rest. Remember you are using muscles and they need to rest in between. Don't work too hard. Buzz the moutpiece, lots of long tones, lip slurs in the low to middle register. If you can't afford a book, do a google search for the US Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps. They have alot of their flexibility exercises up on their website. Great work-ups to get back up.

Also, find some music that you enjoy playing that is not that taxing on range or technique but is fun to play and play. This last part was essential for me, as I was able to hear myself again and it got me so jazzed.

Just have faith it will come back.

Cheers,

Bob

Don't feel bad. I just came back this past season after 25 years out of corps, and everyone around me said that I had forgot how to play! :P Don't worry, it will come back to you. If not, there is always color guard :worthy:

Depending on how much time you have and are willing to put into it... take your time. I would suggest about two weeks of playing from 3rd space C and below NEVER to go any higher. Take into consideration that the muscles you once developed have gone away and you must retrain them. Taking it easy will help them to start reforming again. Once you think things are feeling more comfortable stretch the range up to top line F. Give it another couple of weeks playing from F as low as you can go. Remember this is a slow building process that can come back if approached correctly.

All of this will work providing the instrument IS in proper working order as stated above by some other posters.