Anti Ampers unite! Does the movement have legs

What good does it do to screw over the corps performance order in tenn.?  Everyone there is going to be amped anyway.  They will just inflate the first score and hold everyone back from there.  I have said it before,  amps are not changing drum corps.  they are just making the things we have been doing for years more audible.

I agree....to a certain degree, I think amps are changing drum corps, but in a good direction. I just listened to field pass on DCI season pass and their was an interview this week with judges and amps are an aspect of the corps performance that they discussed. Judges agree that amps make many pit instruments truly audible. Prior to amps, certain pit instruments were played so harshly so the sound would carry, that the sounds was actually distorted (bad sounding, tuning, tone ect.) But now with amps, those instruments can be played softer so that the 'true' sound of the instrument can be heard. The one judge said that it sounds amazing to actually hear a simple wood block up in the book without having the performer beat it to death to project the sound. The judges were also question about balance issue with amps and replied that balance issues are present even without the amps so it doesnt make a huge difference. I just thought that these opinions where a little more logical than "no amps, this isnt marching band" and "amps are bad"....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's rather funny that you put the Cadets on first over Blue Devils. Have you seen both shows? Blue Devils have far more narration and vocalization than the Cadets. I guess your feelings for Hop are coming into play again.

Please..don't ASSUME anything about me regarding my "feelings" for Mr. Hopkins. I just don't like their show PERIOD. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings for Mr. Hopkins. Is there some way that you people can differentiate between the two on this forum? :sshh:

Yeah that's right :worthy: some people can not like a particular show for a year but it doesn't mean they "hate" the organization...geez...:worthy::wub:

No I haven't seen Blue Devils show, and this isn't just about "narration" but annoyance, where I am concerned. I have heard the annoying "speaking" and talking during the Cadets show. So I am going by that. If you have a problem with it, that is your problem. The fans can vote how they won't and The Cadets will be first on my list. :P

Again you don't know anything regarding my feelings on Mr. Hopkins so please don't "assume" and don't categorize me. Thank you very much. And I will give you the same respect.

Judges agree that amps make many pit instruments truly audible. Prior to amps, certain pit instruments were played so harshly so  the sound would carry, that the sounds was actually distorted (bad sounding, tuning, tone ect.) But now with amps, those instruments can be played softer so that the 'true' sound of the instrument can be heard. The one judge said that it sounds amazing to actually hear a simple wood block up in the book without having the performer beat it to death to project the sound.  The judges were also question about balance issue with amps and replied that balance issues are present even without the amps so it doesnt make a huge difference. I just thought that these opinions where a little more logical than "no amps, this isnt marching band" and "amps are bad"....

One judge said that is sounds amazing to hear a wood block? I could hear the wood block just fine without the amp. :worthy: Please..the balance issues are a problem and it does make a huge difference. It was quite obvious last year in finals in many shows. I wonder how many of the judges have sound tech experience and know how to listen for these kinds of problems? I hope they will begin to educate on how to listen for these problems if they want to go there. I hope they implement some kind of system where corps will be docked when this problem occurs, it's only fair. There was a lot of bleed over in certain corps shows. For instance on the PBS Broadcast that udu on BD's show was so over balanced it sounded awful. And SCV's front line was way overpowering, I remember some in the horn line being concerned about that, reading those concerns on this forum. So please don't tell me there isn't balancing issues...Cause I ain't buying that line! :sshh:

I personally know better and know what to listen for cause I studied it and was in the music business.

Edited by Lancerlady

While I appreciate your quest on this issue, I have to say, to an extent Bawker is correct. I was the one who presented the Petition to the BOD at the January meeting. And while they did listen and didn't pass the electronics issue, I don't know what else we can do. But I will vote on the order at the TN show.

Thanks for representing all of us against electronics.

George Hopkins did not give up after one or two attempts, but I understand it’s hard for regular people to match the fanaticism of a megalomaniac. That’s been true throughout history. We must always meet their undying ambition to frame the world to their image, with group support and grassroots activity.

I will continue to sign the petition every year I must. I will vote for the biggest electronics abusers to go last. I’ll wear “unplugged” t-shirts and I will put money in the gas fund for every corps not using amps.

Will it be enough? It doesn’t matter. This isn’t about winning or losing, it’s about fighting for something you love.

What good does it do to screw over the corps performance order in tenn.?  Everyone there is going to be amped anyway.  They will just inflate the first score and hold everyone back from there.  I have said it before,  amps are not changing drum corps.  they are just making the things we have been doing for years more audible.

"Screw over"? How is that "screwing over the corps performance"? Are you suggesting there is "slotting" going on in DCI then? :worthy:

Why shouldn't BD or The Cadets go on first? I think it would "spice" things up if I was there. I would love to see how that unfolds if it comes to pass.

Everyone there is NOT amped...

I have been hearing the front line just fine ALL these years...without the amps. :)

Thanks for representing all of us against electronics. 

George Hopkins did not give up after one or two attempts, but I understand it’s hard for regular people to match the fanaticism of a megalomaniac.  That’s been true throughout history.  We must always meet their undying ambition to frame the world to their image, with group support and grassroots activity.

I will continue to sign the petition every year I must.  I will vote for the biggest electronics abusers to go last.  I’ll wear “unplugged” t-shirts and I will put money in the gas fund for every corps not using amps.

Will it be enough?  It doesn’t matter.  This isn’t about winning or losing, it’s about fighting for something you love.

Your Welcome and it was an honor to represent others on the issue when I felt as passionate about it as they did. I hope this Petition will still at least keep them from passing electronics and woodwinds.

Keep supporting the cause and I'll keep supporting it but I don't know how much more money I'm gonna keep forking out for smoething I am not enjoying as much as I used to. :) That's about the only way they'll get the message, hit them in the pocket book. :)

One judge said that is sounds amazing to hear a wood block? I could hear the wood block just fine without the amp.  :worthy: Please..the balance issues are a problem and it does make a huge difference. It was quite obvious last year in finals in many shows. I wonder how many of the judges have sound tech experience and know how to listen for these kinds of problems? I hope they will begin to educate on how to listen for these problems if they want to go there. I hope they implement some kind of system where corps will be docked when this problem occurs, it's only fair. There was a lot of bleed over in certain corps shows. For instance on the PBS Broadcast that udu on BD's show was so over balanced it sounded awful. And SCV's front line was way overpowering, I remember some in the horn line being concerned about that, reading those concerns on this forum. So please don't tell me there isn't balancing issues...Cause I ain't buying that line! :sshh:

I personally know better and know what to listen for cause I studied it and was in the music business.

If you're so talented and educated, why don't you train the DCI judges....unbelievable! Purchase DCI season pass and listen for yourself what the judges have to say, its really very interesting.

Please..don't ASSUME anything about me regarding my "feelings" for  Mr. Hopkins. I just don't like their show PERIOD. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings for Mr. Hopkins. Is there some way that you people can differentiate between the two on this forum?  :sshh:

Yeah that's right  :worthy: some people can not like a particular show for a year but it doesn't mean they "hate" the organization...geez...:worthy::wub:

No I haven't seen Blue Devils show, and this isn't just about "narration" but annoyance, where I am concerned. I have heard the annoying "speaking" and talking during the Cadets show. So I am going by that. If you have a problem with it, that is your problem. The fans can vote how they won't and The Cadets will be first on my list. :P

Again you don't know anything regarding my feelings on Mr. Hopkins so please don't "assume" and don't categorize me. Thank you very much. And I will give you the same respect.

Im not assuming anything about your personal feelings about HOP. One only has to read previous posts that you have made to see these feelings for themselves. Shall I refresh everyone....

"My husband and I believe he is exploiting the "KIDS" that he likes to hide behind them to further his own agenda"

As for you putting the Cadets first on your list....well, they will be last on mine so I guess that we will be cancelling each other out b**bs

If you're so talented and educated, why don't you train the DCI judges....unbelievable! Purchase DCI season pass and listen for yourself what the judges have to say, its really very interesting.

Yeah that's right, don't believe that I have skills in this area..that's okay you can do that if you want. Why is what I say "unbelievable"? I am just giving an observation like the judges are...

It is not MY job to train the DCI Judges, I made a suggestion that they should be trained on this issue if they are going to claim that it enhances the balance issues, that's all.

No, I'm not going to purchase DCI Season pass, I have all the DVD's I need to remember drum corps with. :)

Im not assuming anything about your personal feelings about HOP. One only has to read previous posts that you have made to see these feelings for themselves. Shall I refresh everyone....

"My husband and I believe he is exploiting the "KIDS" that he likes to hide behind them to further his own agenda"

As for you putting the Cadets first on your list....well, they will be last on mine so I guess that we will be cancelling each other out b**bs

If you go back and read other posts after...you will see that I apologized for those comments, since you like to go back and "dig up" things. So yes you are "assuming" off one comment I made, and that was taken out of context, but go ahead and keep on with it if you want. I really don't care. I know what my personal feelings are on the matter.

Not necessarily will they cancel them out...you don't know how many emails I have and how many are signed to DCI! b**bs

Edited by Lancerlady