If you had to choose one show to define drum corps

Just curious, why some here feel the history of drum corps before the 90's would be something that the "newbies" wouldn't be interested in?

I don't know if there is "one" single show to define drum corps...there are too many that had impacts on the history. :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, why some here feel the history of drum corps before the 90's would be something that the "newbies" wouldn't be interested in?

I don't know if there is "one" single show to define drum corps...there are too many that had impacts on the history. :)

I'm not looking for historical impacts! :worthy: I FULLY understand one show cannot define such a thing! Nor am I implying that pre '90s shows are either uninteresting or can't be used for this one purpose!

I am looking to play a show to a group of newbies and say THAT is why we love drum corps: that is why we give up our summers! If you have 12 minutes - and one show - to sell such a group on this product we call "drum corps", what would you use to sell it to the group AND WHY?

Not looking for "the best show ever" or "the turning point of DC history" or anything so esoteric like that! I am quite aware they could be different shows!

B)

Dave

Edited by drepsed

I understand where you're coming from I just notice that a lot of these forums, everyone usually acts like there is no drum corps before the 90's... :) That's all I'm saying.

Anyway, I would show 1980 27th Lancers if you must know.

Total package, one of the first Zingali drills, the color guard was incredible, the drill was hot, the drum line was hot, and the horn line was playing some complicated great jazz. :) Besides that, they were just entertaining as heck. :)

I'm not looking for historical impacts!  :worthy:  I FULLY understand one show cannot define such a thing!  Nor am I implying that pre '90s shows are either uninteresting or can't be used for this one purpose!

I am looking to play a show to a group of newbies and say THAT is why we love drum corps: that is why we give up our summers!  If you have 12 minutes - and one show - to sell such a group on this product we call "drum corps", what would you use to sell it to the group AND WHY?

Not looking for "the best show ever" or "the turning point of DC history" or anything so esoteric like that!  I am quite aware they could be different shows!

B)

Dave

Agreed...if you showed them 1980 27th lancers.....with the bland unis....rifles with ribbons...high mark time.....they wouldn't understand what DCI is about today. This goes for any drum corps from that era.

You need to show them recent drum corps to sell them on the activity.

No disrespect to us corps people who marched in the 1980s...but i ain't showing 20 year old drum corps to define it to new people.

Please 27th Lancers were far from "bland" :worthy: Even 20 years ago they raised the bar of innovation.

But to each their own.

Please 27th Lancers were far from "bland" :worthy: Even 20 years ago they raised the bar of innovation.

But to each their own.

No argument here.....I look at it this way:

If you wanted to show someone who knew nothing about computers the example of computers today...you wouldn't pull out your old Apple II...even though it was revolutionary in its day.

I would show 93 Cadets - In the Spring When Kings Go Off to War!

I would pick this one because it has all the elements of what drum corps is. Tradition, showmanship, excellent music both theme-atic and performance and awesome drill. Although I wouldn't pick this show as my favorite of all time, I do think it's a great show to show to newbies to get them into the activity. I know the activity has advanced allot since then... 12 years to be exact but the shows even in the early 90's still amaze me to this day!

Agreed...if you showed them 1980 27th lancers.....with the bland unis....rifles with ribbons...high mark time.....they wouldn't understand what DCI is about today.  This goes for any drum corps from that era.

You need to show them recent drum corps to sell them on the activity.

No disrespect to us corps people who marched in the 1980s...but i ain't showing 20 year old drum corps to define it to new people.

I'm with you. No offense to 27th in 1980 or any other year, but it's no example for today. We're looking for something representative of the activity, not it's history. So much has transpired since then. It's difficult to ask a show from 1980 (or 86 BD, for that matter) to capture the best of the activity today.

Cadets 87 might be the first show in the 80s that I might hold up as at all representative of today. SCV 88 and 89 might be representative though not nearly so much as Cadets 90. Cadets and Star 93 surely are representative. By 1995 and on, we're squarely in the more modern era though we'll see if shows such as BD 04, Cadets 05 or even Crown 04 change the game again.

My pick: Phantom 03. It wasn't the best show of the year. Still, it is one of the best to watch if you don't know what to watch for.

HH

I would have to say 95 Scouts. That is truly the first show that made me love drum corps and made me march the following year. True it may not be the best executed, but the excitement... I could be wrong, but I don't know how anybody could not get excited after listening/watching that show.