Blue Devils

Its not that I hate the constant soloists and soprano screamers or that I'm anti-BD, I just feel like too often people use it as a cheap way to get crowd reaction/applause.  How can multiple feature solos like that actually fit into a show idea/theme/story? 

It's funny that only now, to my recollection, someone has finally brought this to light. This is not anything new for BD. They've been doing it for years, possibly decades and apparently it "had" been working, and yes, it is a cheap way to get a crowd reaction. My "opinion" if you have to write an unnecessary screamer into the show, it shows a complete lack of creativity. It's like saying, "well, we need a reaction here. Since were not doing anything visually and I can't think of something cool to write for that reaction, hey Joey, can ya hit a triple z for me here? Sweet!"

Rocketman - some things never change

ampssuck

Ouch, sure am glad that I never visit over there.  (But how would I feel about being considered "one of those DCPers"?!  I'll leave that to the other rabble-rowsers here :worthy: )

Its not that I hate the constant soloists and soprano screamers or that I'm anti-BD, I just feel like too often people use it as a cheap way to get crowd reaction/applause.  How can multiple feature solos like that actually fit into a show idea/theme/story?  I'm entertained by their talent and good sounds, but they never really add anything to the show if its done more than once.

You are right

It's funny that only now, to my recollection, someone has finally brought this to light. This is not anything new for BD. They've been doing it for years, possibly decades and apparently it "had" been working, and yes, it is a cheap way to get a crowd reaction. My "opinion" if you have to write an unnecessary screamer into the show, it shows a complete lack of creativity. It's like saying, "well, we need a reaction here. Since were not doing anything visually and I can't think of something cool to write for that reaction, hey Joey, can ya hit a triple z for me here? Sweet!"

ampssuck

Hey, the soloists in 1989 were great, and contributed to the musicality and movement of the songs that were being played. However, when there is just a random screamer going up arpeggios, whether it's BD, Cavies, Boston (shudders from that one annoying squeal from last year), it can be annoying.

My "opinion" if you have to write an unnecessary screamer into the show, it shows a complete lack of creativity. It's like saying, "well, we need a reaction here. Since were not doing anything visually and I can't think of something cool to write for that reaction, hey Joey, can ya hit a triple z for me here? Sweet!"

ampssuck

So now Wayne Downey's not creative because BD have a few screamers/solo's through the show?

I actually like it when a corps panders to the crowd (particularly when I'm in it) with some screamers. Or a guard person who can nail some incredible toss. I enjoy seeing people do something that I could never dream of.

It's like the high wire acts in the circus. Seeing somebody lay it all out, with a real chance of failure, makes for great drama. Maybe these corps should be on TNT instead of ESPN2.