Perhaps some of the confusion comes from the fact that the "Blond" was on tenor drums, not snares.  There was also a shorter brunette snare player.

Salut, Bob P. Les Dips 64-73

:beer: tenor drum!!!!who would have thought......so my memory wasn't all wrong after all....can't wait to see dips back in action..... :P :beer: B)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we are approaching critical mass for recruitment, And the "lovely blond tenor drum" has signed up also! B)

Bob P Dips 64-73

b**bs AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!........I doubt anyone remembers a soprano(15 years old or so) from Westshore Bonnie-Scots but I sure remember all you guys and gals cause it was the best times of my drum corps partying---oops i was under age for a while there ^0^ started in 1968 at 15 and went down hill from there ^0^

b**bs AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!........I doubt anyone remembers a soprano(15 years old or so) from Westshore Bonnie-Scots but I sure remember all you guys and gals cause it was the best times of my drum corps partying---oops i was under age for a while there ^0^  started in  1968 at 15 and went down hill from there ^0^

You are correct about anyone remembering you, but I have a feeling that you only remember the females (and who can blame you, you were only 15 yrs old) in the Dips AND, of course, the REAL BEER served in the parking lots! B)

Salut, Bob P. :)

You are correct about anyone remembering you, but I have a feeling that you only remember the females (and who can blame you, you were only 15 yrs old) in the Dips AND, of course, the REAL BEER served in the parking lots!  B)

Salut, Bob P.  :)

:rock: yes, I thought so, but now that I am retired at 51(from drum corps) I wouldn't mind meeting THE REST OF THE CORPS....but those memories from 15... and on and on.....AWESOME BABY ^0^

• 3 weeks later...

Les Dips were always a crowd favorite. My frame of reference goes further back to the 60's. If you have a chance to hear a recording of their 63 show at the Preview of Champions in Jersey City - take the time. Execution was far from perfect, but the music book was phenomenal and oh those chords. Their opening Fanfare just moved the stadium back a few feet and the ending fanfare of Firebird - well - it sent chills down your spine it was so good. Color Pre of an original work called Dips Flags was done very well.

Add a drill filled with head chop moves, jumps, merry go rounds etc. - it was the total enjoyment package for the fans. The unique bold, colorful unis just put the frosting on top.

Les Dips were always a crowd favorite.  My frame of reference goes further back to the 60's. If you have a chance to hear a recording of their 63 show at the Preview of Champions in Jersey City - take the time. Execution was far from perfect, but the music book was phenomenal and oh those chords.  Their opening Fanfare just moved the stadium back a few feet and the ending fanfare of Firebird - well - it sent chills down your spine it was so good. Color Pre of an original work called Dips Flags was done very well.

Add a drill filled with head chop moves, jumps, merry go rounds etc. - it was the total enjoyment package for the fans.  The unique bold, colorful unis just put the frosting on top.

I thought that I had all the Dips' recordings! What recording is that to which you refer, 1963?

Salut, Bob P.

I thought that I had all the Dips' recordings!  What recording is that to which you refer, 1963?

Salut, Bob P.

I have it on a Stet Richmond tape. Not sure if it was generally available on Fleetwood label or whatever.

• 2 months later...

Let me step in here, folks, and take credit for "discovering" Les Dips!

In 1961 my junior corps (De La Salle "Oaklands" from Toronto) was invited to march in the annual Saint Jean Baptiste Day celebration in June in Montreal. As we were lining up in the street to start the parade we sudden heard an amazing "drum corps sound" from around the corner. To a man we broke ranks and hurried around the corner to see what this was all about. And there they were. Les Diplomats.

I'm pretty sure that was the first time anyone from outside of Quebec had ever heard them.

They were incredibly impressive. So much so that when we got back to Toronto we started spreading the word among the Ontario seniors (Canada's Marching Ambassadors, the Guelph Royalaires, Canadian Commanders,etc.) about this new corps. They had assured us they would be coming to the Nationals in Waterloo in September and they were definitely of championship caliber.

Well the Dips didn't win that year (what corps ever has the first year they challenge the "establishment?) but they sure won the hearts of the fans. When the corps formed their famous "box" and began to rotate it I'm surprised the corps could even stay in step. I swear that was the loudest and longest standing ovation ever given to a Canadian drum corps.

When I saw their announcement on the web last January I was really tempted to sign up. Unfortunately Toronto is a very long way from Quebec City but all of us are looking forward to seeing them again.