What are the biggest surprises of the 2005 season?

The Santa Clara Vanguard has had a tumultuous year in Drum Corps this season, what with many of their staff finding themselves in other places and working with other corps, the vanguard has been left severely leftfield of where they were last year. The biggest and most startling surprise, however, is that they have not, are not going to, and will never give up. Instead of turning their hats down for the night and the year and hanging it up for this season, they are still rehearsing every single day as if the next day is their last. The kids continue to push themselves and strive for excellence, as is the entire goal of the Drum Corps activity. They are still a strong contender and nearly guaranteed finalist for this year's competition, which shows that they may be down, but are assuredly not out. I say that is deserving of a standing ovation. Congrats on an amazing job, Vanguard.

not meaning to derail this thread, but name one corps in the last 5 years that has hung it up mid-season and tapped out. :worthy:

along with all the things aid for division I. i have to say division II is hte biggest suprise. it is a stacked year 6 corps are all within a couple points of each other and the competion is tight.

along with that the Oregon crusaders and Blue Stars...they have both made the jump up from Div III to II and ulitmately I and with the products that these corps are putting out they could could be legit semi qualifiers their first years of division I. and also in a day when corps are having toruble and folding that these two are coming back strong. the crusaders from their begining and the blue stars back to the DI power they once were.

Well, I guess I am crammed on the fence on this one but…

Its relative isn’t it? D1’s noted surprises are quite different than D2/3. I would agree with BluesStarsBari. From the recent talk over the past few years on the decline of the drum corps activity in general to smaller corps not receiving support it would seem that this year is moving the overall activity in a positive direction. The quality of performance and product from these groups is not quite surprising but I do believe they have slipped under the radar due to all the buzz about the excitement of D1. I have been more pleasantly surprised about D2/3 than D1. Maybe just my expectations are different?

William

Crown- being incredible, continuing its rise and doing so with music that most people would frown at doing, (Boehemian Raphsody and Angel)

Bluecoats- and the great quality of this organization.

Southwind- What an incredible show that may never get its due.

Scouts- When was the last time they finished above 5?

BK- Making eveyone 7-9 look over their shoulders wondering what could happen.

Phantom- Never cared for Gershwin music, but I love this show!!!

I concur the ESPN2 deal is huge and definitely the biggest surprise of the season. Aside from this, the biggest positive surprises for me are the strong scores being posted by Scouts, Spirit, and Blue Knights.

Scouts – I’ve really admired the Scouts’ progression in the last few years and it’s refreshing to see they are in the race for a top spot.

Blue Knights – I was in the minority last year by feeling their show was way overrated and thought this year they’d drop in placement. Based on their scores, they certainly look like they are for real. Can’t wait to see them.

Spirit probably surprises me the most. I saw the show earlier in the season and, although it was enjoyable, I thought they’d plateau and fall short of top twelve, much like they did last year. Based on the score from last night, they seem like a lock on top twelve and perhaps they'll bump Glassmen, SCV, or Blue Knights down in placement.

My biggest Postive Surprise:

Southwind -- Wow! Who would have thought, after many wondered if they could go it alone after leaving the Madison organization, that they would come out like this in 2005? Southwind has always been conservative -- until now. This show is so refreshingly original and innovative. And downright run. It's still a tough call as to if they can sneak into Semis, but even if they don't, they will have brought out one of the most entertaining non finalist corps in a long, long time. What a fresh breat of air! Thank you Southwind! Keep pushing. 17th or better could still be yours.

Other Very Postive Surprises:

Madison -- While I'm not sold on the total package (especially the ending -- both old and new), what an AMAZING step up in performance quality. It is truly gratifying to see Madison among the elite again, no matter where they place in the top 6.

Bluecoats -- Just when you think this corps can't get any better, you know what? They do? They aren't a fringe top 6 corps anymore. They are legitimately among the elite.

Crown -- Who would have thought a ballad as elegant and understated as Sarah M.'s "Angel" could be my highlight of the year? Just beautiful, and deeply moving, both on a emotional and intellectual level.

Glassmen -- This is the year of who would have thought! Who would have thought you could turn the finale' of Dvorak's greatest work into a Latin/swing song and make it WORK? Wow. What a cool closer Glassmen have.

Mandarins -- Dismiss this corps as a Division I wannabe no longer. They are a legitimate threat to place squarely in the middle of the Semifinalsit gang. Bravo!

Phantom Regiment -- I never thought I would go for Phantom playing Gershwin. It was my head scratching moment of the season when I found out their show. But, especially with what they have done with this show in July, WOW. I love it. So exciting, so different, yet SO PHANTOM REGIMENT.

There you have it. My biggest Positive Surprises.

Harvey

Oh yeah, and I'd add the DCI Season Pass and the ESPN II deal to the list. Both are shocking & awesome. (and they ALMOST make up for the descration of retreat that has happened this year).

Harvey